BAFANG 500w 36v motor on 60v

Noamsal

100 W
hi guys,
i want to ask you a bit about the bafang 500w 36v motor, for those of you who have tried it -
i have one with a 48v 12ah battery and a 800w controller, thats a top speed of 50kph and not even getting warm, but - when i ride offroad (and i mean trails, jumps, deep sand) the motor gets a little bit hot, but not even something i worry about. plus i installed for a costumer of mine the same system with a 40ah 1000w controller and the motor is still going at 55kph and he wrecks the bike more then i do.
i also heard of people using thing motor with 60v battery, but i haven't heard about offroad riding with this system.
what do you guys think? does anyone here tried this motor with a 60v battery?
btw the reason i love this motor so much is because its so light and powerfull, and it has a gear. i had a 9continent 1000w motor before and there nothing to compare, this motor is in a different level.
6231.png

Here's a spec and teardown thread for these.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51237

I would be comfortable running one of these at 60V if you added an internal temp sensor, but I would be nervous at 72V...

These motors are cheap, and they are one of the most common motors to buy bare and unspoked because so many can afford to dump high power into them, and pay for the replacement (since you already have the spokes and rim).

They are really good at 48V X 20A = 960W, but they have a poor heat-shedding path, so when the outside is cool, the insides can be very hot. If the outsides are hot, then...the insides are very much in danger of a meltdown.

I would rather use 60V X 20A = 1,200W (in a slower winding of motor, it's Kv), than use 48V X 25A = 1,200W. Same wattage, same top speed, but lower amps. Yes, I know many builders have dumped 30A/35A/40A into these, but you need a long cruise phase after the acceleration phase has ended, to let the motor cool off a little. The arch enemy of a geared hubmotor is a long and steep uphill, with no cooling off phase...just constant high amps.

Thanks for the information!
i want to install better cables and a temp sensor inside the motor, then i'll the controller to 40a controller, and when the time comes to change batteries i'll change to 60v probably 15ah

Ok... since i got bad luck this happened today - just went out for a ride and something felt loose on the rear wheel, i opened the bolts and seen that i broke the shaft of the motor... luckily i have shafts like this at work.. but this is a great opportunity to make the changes you wrote before, and to clean the cassette lol

Back