Yuba Mundo ezee battery mount suggestions

Hi all. I am thinking that I want to do an ecargo bike build, probably based on the Yuba Mundo. I dig the xtracycle, and have looked at the ebikes.ca system, but the edgerunner would cost me about $700-$1500 more when spec'ed to the same level that I want. The attraction of the edgerunner is that there is a commercially available solution for battery mounting from grintech, using the ezee flat pack battery. I’m relatively committed to the ezee flat pack battery, and ezee geared hub, as I already own them (a dying emountain bike is the driving force here).
I guess what I am looking for is some suggestions on where/how to mount the ezee flat pack on a yuba mundo. The obvious location under the back deck does not seem to work. I could not for the life of me get the thing in there. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers!

There's a couple of options. The new frame-in bottle batteries work ok. This guy is 48V 11ah of the new high density cells.
That's an Ezee up front (from you guys Nanoha!) 8)
2.jpg

And that's a bbs02 in the mid. :p
Oh, and that's a 3540 in the back. :mrgreen:

But you can also fit an ammo can in behind the shown battery for a second battery location. Lots of room behind those plastic wheel skirts.
Lots of room on these. Even some room below the rear deck could take two rows of RC lipo either side of the wheel.

That's before even starting on the bread basket up front.

Kiwi has done some good ammo can ones. On the rear decks also.
https://sites.google.com/site/shelbyelectro/Bike-of-the-week/EV-labs-Yuba-Mundo

The long stance of these makes them a nice stable platform at high speed.

Samd said:
There's a couple of options. The new frame-in bottle batteries work ok. This guy is 48V 11ah of the new high density cells.
That's an Ezee up front (from you guys Nanoha!) 8)
2.jpg
And that's a bbs02 in the mid. :p
Oh, and that's a 3540 in the back. :mrgreen:
is this yours, Sam? How do you manage throttle control with 3 (!) motors?

Technically my wife's PRW.

"She'd give her right arm to be ambidextrous".

Your available solutions seem to be constrained by the existing battery and mount. This complicates things. A few thoughts:

• Section out the leading luggage rack cross member, rotate the battery sideways, and slip it downward between the seatpost and rear wheel. This will give you the best CG result.
  • Buy a Topeak (or competitor) quick-release rack and cut it down. Attach release tray/rails to the flat side (top) of the battery box and attach the battery flat to leading top of the existing rack so a trunk bag can be clipped to the top using the quick release plate.
  • Buy a Topeak (or competitor) quick-release rack and cut it down. Attach the shortened rack legs to the existing rack to make a double-decker rack with the battery in between (or use a seat-post mount type). Mount the battery as above to the existing rack.
  • Mount the battery on one side loader - either stand the battery up vertically or lie it on the side edge from the leading point of the sideloader towards the rear axle. Either of these will put the center of mass closer to the bike center line and the off-center weight shouldn't be too noticeable considering the weight of the bike. This will generally leave the sideloaders and rack unencumbered. Optionally buy another battery for the other side for extra range. Don't mount the battery further forward than the front of the side loader.

Thanks for the advice folks. I think in the short term I am going to mount it using the grin tec plate to a bread basket (I know, not optimal being that far forward, but it seems like a good solution for now). I think the bread basket liner should more or less cover the batter, for a fairly integrated look. Eventually I'll look at getting a bottle battery set up. 48v 11ah sounds about right.

Actually you'll find the dynamics fine in the bread basket.

I'm sorry, thats an ezee geared hub in front, a bbs0x in the middle and a crystalite dd in the back?

Can I give you a call next time I need my trailer moved?

Seemed like the easiest way to show customers all three motor options on the one bike. Haha! :mrgreen:

It was an aliexpress battery, 48v 11ah nominal. Battery is good but vendor shonky. I wouldn't attempt buying another one.

Not a fan of the weatherproofing on these packs, USB port and charger on the side is a bit naff...

Ok that makes sense.

As for the weatherproofing, a little bit of vaseline goes a long way, or so I've been told... Mostly by people who make more money than me...... go figure..

Because I like to see myself written, I'd like to add that I think putting the batpack in the breadbasket is a good choice. I don't own a cargo bike, but from talking with a few of the local tourists (oxymoron?) it sounds like the handling gets a bit squirrely with so much weight in the rear and hardly any at all up front.

Also, @ Samd, I'm going to try to adopt the word shonky into my regular vocabulary, but it won't be easy. I'll have to educate a few of the mates at work as to what the hell I mean... The jury's still out on "naff", but you can have "squirrely" if it seems like a good trade.

You'll have to enlighten me on your opinion of the 48v 11.6ah frame pack you got though, including an estimate of the C rate and V sag and such. I'm looking hard at the same kit from BMS with Panasonic cells..

V.

Will bottle batteries fit the Yuba frame? Looking to do a build but a bit lost as I noticed the water bottle cage holes are relatively close to the seat tube... making it a very very tight squeeze with a bottle battery?

I did notice a black battery in one of the above photos also mounted to the bottle battery spot?

bluesoleli said:
Will bottle batteries fit the Yuba frame? Looking to do a build but a bit lost as I noticed the water bottle cage holes are relatively close to the seat tube... making it a very very tight squeeze with a bottle battery?

I did notice a black battery in one of the above photos also mounted to the bottle battery spot?

Yes they do. And if you ever get the rivnuts too close to the seat tube on a frame, just drill the bedplate of the bottle battery holder. Takes 30 secs with a battery drill.

I do stock them, so sing out if you need a price ;)

Back