24fet Crystalyte Controller and Cycle Analyst v3

Greg5972

10 mW
Hi Gents,

I have an issue I was hoping someone can help me with. I just purchased a 24 fet crystalyte controller from Hi-Powered Cycles. I am using it on my phasor to replace an 18fet 4115 controller from Lyen. Only to underrate it hopefully end up with cooler running temps on the controller. My setup is 24s2p made from 8 8000mah 6s zippy packs. I am running a 4065 motor in 24inch rim. I am also running a Cycle analyst 3. I can seem to get the Ca to run the throttle of the crystalye controller via the Ca connection. As it turns out HP cycles said they have never tried this controller with a Ca 3 only a 2.3 which is surprising in my opinion.... If the throttle connection is wired direct to the controller the controller works fine but I what the Ca to control the throttle as I want to limit the amperage to 45 and for so many other reasons.. This is what it have tried.

1k ohm resistor from negative to green wire of Ca.

Removing green wire from Ca connector and connecting to the throttle input of the controller.

Shorting the throttle input of the controller to the 5 volt signal.

All unsuccessful.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks!

Greg

Have you checked for any watt/amp limit setup in the cycle analyst setup menu?

http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/cycle-analyst-3.html This page might help you. You might also load up the software setup utility. I'd go through all the settings and make sure you understand everything along with there being no limitations anywhere.

Found the issue.

This particular Crystalyte module has a motor temperature protection circuit. The throttle signal circuit goes through the motor temp sensor. So if the temp sensor connection the throttle will be open circuit when wired direct to the controller. I guess with CA 2.3 no mods are required, it is an actual direct plug in. HPC recommended that I removed the green wire of the CA connector and connect to the throttle input of the controller. That didn't work because the temp sensor was plugged into the CA. When I initially I tested the controller with the throttle only plugged into the controller I didn't realize at that time I had the temp sensor connected to the controller instead of the CA. When I retested throttle directly plugged in tonight it didn't work at all. I thought perhaps there was a poor connection or I blew something. When I pulled the board out I followed the green wire from the throttle in of the controller and saw it came back out of the controller to the two wire temp sensor input.. go figure.. So for it to work I have put a jumper on the temp connection and wire the CA green wire to the controller's throttle input works perfect..However seeing as I am in there, there is an inline diode on the throttle override into the controller from the Ca connector which I will be removing and replacing with a 1k ohm resistor. Making the whole temp sensor issue a moot point..

Greg.

Back