Pump Shaped Controller - Anyone tested one?

gorndog

1 mW
Found this on Aliexpress this evening and wondering if anyone has seen one in action.

Looks relatively feeble but could function well as an ultra-light and cheap limp-mode controller if all else fails.

"Parameter settings can be modified through USB interface with the computer,or through KM5S display. Parameters include current limit value,low voltage protection value,sensor type,maximum speed,power ratio,etc"

Getting under the hood to beef up some traces and play with the settings could get this up to maybe a 400-500w controller - enough for a Bafang BBS-02 or small geared e.g Mac.

Check it out.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ebik...c-Bike-Pump-Shaped-Controller/1664396544.html

That's hilarious and awesome. I wonder what it's got under the hood. Anyone want to take the plunge and find out?

It could certainly look nicer than some of the external controller attachments for DIY conversions and also gives the ability to put it in a bicycle tube for OEM designers, if it doesn't overheat...

I see no particular advantage in being round. But E-bikekit has been using a long slim 22 amps controller for several years now in their kit.

It's nice to have a controller that is slim, and fits anywhere on the frame of normal non suspension bikes. No sharp edges to bonk a shin on, or whatever.

It appears the aspect ratio of this one is even more extreme than the EBK. I don't know if that's an advantage or a disadvantage, just different.

One potential disadvantage of this controller is that the round shape makes it harder to heat sink the fets to the case. They'd need some kind of half-round bar in between the fets and the case wall. Maybe they have it, but I'm guessing not. That'd make too much sense. :wink:

Only 250W output, but certainly would make a stealthy low-powered bike much easier to implement. one of these, a tiny rear hub, and a water-bottle type battery....

Yea, I kind of want to try just that, AW. I've got a couple months of intermittent travel coming up which is going to make testing difficult, but I'm thinking of picking one of these up just for experimenting with.

Back