What controller will run an Ezee geared sensorless?

motomech

10 MW
A couple of years ago, I bought an Ezee Original geared from Grin during a clearance sale.
Being busy, I never tried it out til now.
When I first tried it out with a sensor only controller, nothing :roll:
I haVe since tried it with two different sensorless controllers(one a Grin\Infineon) and it stumbles and studders, won't lock up.
here's what Grin says about running the Ezee sensorless:
Does the sensorless mode work on geared motors?
The answer to this is that it depends on the particular motor. In sensorless mode, the controllers have a safe upper commutation frequency limit of about 13000 electrical RPM. So with geared motors like the Outrider hubs that have 50 or fewer commutations per revolution they work OK, but those like the eZee, MAC, and BMC with 80 commutations per revolution are prone to loosing lock and may require sensored mode.

I would contact Lyen and ask him, but he seems to be out of business.
Any ideas?
Thanx

EDIT: Well, I didn't have to search far to get some answers.
Appearantly, Lyen controllers won't work.
Looks like I will have to replace the Halls.
I have heard of some "high-speed" controllers, but have no idea what they are. Kelly controllers maybe?

I thought you had a bunch of "KUxx" controllers. I presently run all 3 of my bikes with geared motors sensorless with them. My BPM does get noisy right at 25.0 mph but it did that when I ran it sensored too. I didn't like the latest version KU93 at first but it runs great with my YOUE 250W geared motor (just like a Bafang) on 12S LiPo. It does now have a soft-start however and needs the panel meter (or a resistor added) to run at full speed. I damaged my S09P before I could get it out on the road but that would likely run it too if you want all the bells and whistles.

-R

You might just have had a problem with the wires order, when it wouldn't run sensored.

confirm that the halls are really not functioning, before you tear them out. Rotate the motor backwards, to make the motor inside spin to do the test.

Russell said:
I thought you had a bunch of "KUxx" controllers. I presently run all 3 of my bikes with geared motors sensorless with them. My BPM does get noisy right at 25.0 mph but it did that when I ran it sensored too. I didn't like the latest version KU93 at first but it runs great with my YOUE 250W geared motor (just like a Bafang) on 12S LiPo. It does now have a soft-start however and needs the panel meter (or a resistor added) to run at full speed. I damaged my S09P before I could get it out on the road but that would likely run it too if you want all the bells and whistles.

-R

I did have a pair of original KU63 controllers w\ the 63V caps, but they are gone. When I retired and moved to Tucson, I didn't have room for all my ebike stuff, so I left some in my other house. Turns out my sister threw out the box of "ëlectrical junk" :evil:
Anyhow, I have tested the Ezee motor and it does have one bad hall.
I did some more research and it appears that the Ezee, Puma and original BMC can not be run sensorless. As nearly as I can tell, many have tried, but none have succeded. I am not sure why exactly, it has 16 poles, and a 1\5 reduction ratio, same as the standard Q100.
So I am going to try and replace the bad Hall since the motor is like new.
Grin had told me it ran but was making a faint noise(I believe it was a return). I should have tried it out as soon as I got it.

Back