BMC V4C faulty, 28 amp, CA 3 settings help needed

bikehedz

100 µW
Hi,

Have just put together a BMC V4C hub motor and an Infineon 9 fet, 28 amp controller from Ebikes SF. The hub is surging/cutting out at high amps.

Could be batteries? ( have 2 x 5 amp, 8s zippys in parallel, then same again in series to make 61v)
Could be phase or hall wires ( buzzed all wires and tested halls Ok)
Could be controller? Have tested every static voltage OK.
Could be induction from phase to hall sensor?
Could be CA settings?

Can someone please PM me a copy of a Cycle Analyst V3 .hex file with settings that work? Or is this club CA?

I have received two controllers ( Don't really want to talk about the first one (reversed phases) :oops: ) I not sure if I have a fault or the Cycle Analyst needs a massage. I have managed to improve the surging/cutting out a bit with settings ( stuttering moved from 400w to 650W but dragging it up the stairs is wearing a bit thin.)

Cheers

Ok, no help so far, not even Grin is coming to the party.
Have ordered 3rd controller from Lyen.
In meantime I am going to split hall sensor wires into a
sheilded cable tied to hall sensor earth. I have tinned every
soldered joint on back of controller and CA. Replaced all high
current connectors and checked my batteries under load ( only 400w load so far but I do have 4x 8s )

I Will not be defeated!

Cheers.

Start by unplugging your CA and running the throttle straight into the controller. This will tell you if you have a controller/motor issue or a CA issue. Don't hook up the CA until the bike runs smoothly and properly by itself.

Right now, everything is suspect....

Transferring settings between bikes is generally not helpful - the CA needs to be tuned to the vehicle. Follow the steps in the Guide, and all should be well. You should be set up to (at least initially) to rely on either Amps or Watts limiting (not both) and will need to lower AGain or WGain substantially to get the Max limit surging under control. When that works pretty well - switch to Current or Power Throttle (the same as your main limiting type Amps/Watts and same as your 3-position switch limiting) and do the final Gain/ramping tune.

FWIW: I run dual BMC V2Ses at 64v (73v HOC) with 35A/72A rated/phase current on each controller and use a gain setting of around 10. Throttle response is slow but PAS works great and the clutches hold together on WOT getaway with a gross cargo bike weight of around 350lbs.

This may not be relevant, but I would also check the throttle, perhaps try a different type. I found similar surgey behaviour with my EZEE motor at high amp startups with my twist throttle, which were eliminated with a thumb throttle. The twist throttle sort of "floated" on its core with an inability to smoothly ramp it up through physical control. Whereas I could use the thumb throttle in the crook of my index finger giving better fine control of the throttling up.

Thanks Guys,

Put it all back together with spare throttle and no CA and broke the land speed record for the lane way! Had already tried spare throttle direct into controller but did not unplug the CA.
I have tuned power commanders for motorcycles and it it always good starting with a basic map of AF ratio for that model. Cannot believe the default sent with CA could be so far out. Still got CA tuning ahead of me though but I have an excellent starting point. It works.

Cheers.

Back