Toward the end of range anxiety : introducing eBikeMaps

raphm

100 mW
Hi there.

I would like to present the first release of a trip simulator designed to help people to understand how fast and how far they can ride with their bike. I hope that it will be usefull.

Here is the link: electric bike range.
Do you like it ?

Great tool.
It won't work for me. Says I climbed much higher than the elevation profile, which had it right. On a second try, I can't do much without it popping up warnings about my drag coefficient being out of range, and some other warning. I was only clicking the map.

I will look again later. It will be mint when it works

edit: It also chose the fast car route, not a direct route. Taking me round the ringroad, not through the town center. Giving me an everage of 33kmh from a 35kmh bike.

Thanks for the feedback :D .

>>On a second try, I can't do much without it popping up warnings about my drag coefficient being out of range, and some other warning. I was only clicking the map.
I actually have some strange bugs when I click on the reload button using firefox :oops:. Chrome works well in any cases :wink: You need to use the "reinit trip" button to reinit the trip. Probably it is what happens ?

>> It also chose the fast car route
This is strange, I depend on the google maps api for this point. You can try the "road + pathway" option for the type of road or add more intermediate step (maximum is 10).

>>Says I climbed much higher than the elevation profile, which had it right.
Sorry I don't get what do you mean ?

My mistake, the climb data was correct. I didn't realise it was adding all the individual climbs together. My head went off thinking about regen for some reason. A choice that might be worth adding.

It's google maps, which does do bike routes, so I'm sure you can soon stop it treating me like a car.

It's very good all the same. Perhaps change the default so you can actually click on the map to show your route. I dont see any other option for inputting route, so having to enable the only method seems a menu to many.

>>It's google maps, which does do bike routes, so I'm sure you can soon stop it treating me like a car.
In fact, in my area (France Grenoble), bike routes request does not work at all. That it is why I am using road type requests. Maybe this option is fine in the States ? I will add this option in the road type choice such that you may try.

>>I dont see any other option for inputting route, so having to enable the only method seems a menu to many.
There is a field to directly add adresses. I admit that the trip editing is not very friendly user for the moment. I will try to work on this point but it is not my priority. Also, if it is enable by default, when people start to click on the map to center the map somewhere else, they do not understand why it is adding destinations....

Initially, I have created this simulator because I am developping electric bike mobility solutions for very hilly areas (where the elevation is very important). For instance, we go to ski without petrol and without ski resort (video, youtube channel). This is a lot of fun :D

I might add regen later. Thanks again for your useful feedbacks.

I have just added the type of road (bike path) => electric bike range.
It is working nearby Amsterdam and San Francisco but it is not working nearby my area in the French Alps :x
I have also added a front wind variable (in Customize advance parameters) wich has a huge inpact on the range of a bike !

:D :D Wow that is brilliant! just plotted one of my regular routes on it and I have to say thats pretty much spot on :) thanks for doing this its a very useful tool.

Hi,
Seems to work quite well. A couple of suggestions, maybe have the rider wattage an entered variable rather than lazy=50, sport =150 etc. and it wouldn't let me enter a tailwind.

Overall, a great tool! Thanks.

Thanks for the great feedbacks.
>>the rider wattage an entered variable
It is already the case, you can put whatever value you want and this is very important for low power electric bikes.

>>it wouldn't let me enter a tailwind
I have modified the code, now you can input a negative front wind to get a tailwind :wink:

Hi, Can you explain the "number of stops by km" parameter. For one of my rides, enter 2, then the simulation was almost exact. Enter 1, and the simulated usage was about 40 watt-hr low. Enter 3 and usage was high.

Very impressive. I will certainly use this to plan my big trips. Thanks.

This term is to take into account the lost of kinetic energy by dissipative braking. It represents how many times you loose 0.5*m*v*v by kilometre. This can be interpreted because you stop once in one kilometre. In reallity, it is to represent all the lost of kinetic energy when you brake.

In general, there are many parameters that you can fitt to get an exact result. However, we cannot easily reach an exact modeling because it is too complex. In my case, 80% of the energy comsumption is for the elevation so I can get very accurate result because this part is computed exactly. The simulator was designed in this framework. On flat area, we can expect a larger variability, I didn't test much as I am surrounded by mountains...

I have just added a term in the electric bike trip simulator to take into account the decrease in efficiency at low power. It is just a constant added to the consumption (see "Consumption with no load" in advanced parameters). I plan to have motor efficiency dependent on both speed and electric power in the future...

Very cool! It worked fine for me. I'm building my first bike, so can't say how accurate it is. It estimates my battery usage as quite a bit lower than I was expecting. I sure hope it is right!

Wow! Nice!
Very cool that you added the recumbents to the selection!

I just played a bit with it and it's results pretty are much spot on for my daily commute with the trike (36km one way, 40km/h, 55V/8.6A, 1h+change).
My actual consumption is between 7.5 and 9.6A depending on headwinds and with how much effort I'm peddeling (lazy to normal).

8) .
I really would like to build an electric trike as well. For the trip simulator, I might try to improve it but not before 2014. Right now, I am working Sensorless Field Oriented Control for a nice ebike kit project :).
And as there is still a lot of snow in the French Alps, we are still ebiking + skiing (see our lastest video) ! It's nice to have an average speed of 30km/h on Alpine roads :D.

evelorution said:
8) .
I really would like to build an electric trike as well. For the trip simulator, I might try to improve it but not before 2014. Right now, I am working Sensorless Field Oriented Control for a nice ebike kit project :).
And as there is still a lot of snow in the French Alps, we are still ebiking + skiing (see our lastest video) ! It's nice to have an average speed of 30km/h on Alpine roads :D.

Nice video, great job

Hi there.
I would like to introduce eBikeMaps and our company eBikeLabs that we have started in April 2015. I spent a few year traveling a lot by ebike (e.g. ebike + ski touring adventures videos) and doing a lot of thinking to understand how far and how fast I could go . Now, I am very enthousiast about the development of 3 projects to be able to guaranty destination without any risk of running out of battery and without the need of any thinking 8) :
-eBikeCortex an ebike computer which is able to estimate SOC and limit the speed,
-eBikeMaps which is able to predict how much energy you need to go somewhere at a given speed,
-eBikeNavigation a smartphone app which tells you where to go and guarantees that you reach your destination without running out of battery energy.

So far, we have released a beta of eBikeMaps. The idea is to predict travel time and battery state depending on who you are, which is your ebike and the topological context. I can see mainly three purposes int the use of eBikeMaps by itself:
-to help people to decide which ebike to choose by telling them the best estimate of how fast and how far they would go depending on the ebike,
-to help ebike rider to know exactly what they can do with their ebike which, somehow, extends their autonomy as when you know what you can do, you end up doing more,
-to develop optimized battery renting system (rent the right battery for big trips).

[youtube]NQsZmXuH4Cc[/youtube]

Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback.

I played around a bit. I would like to suggest a setting in the profile where I can choose my preferred units of measure.

Lbs. & Miles/mph would be more useful for the US.

Also, it would be nice to be able to change the parameters of the bike and traffic setting (stops/distance) within the simulator.

>>Lbs. & Miles/mph would be more useful for the US.
Well, in the future I would like to add localized feature (mostly the languages). Thus, I could add the national unit as well.

>>Also, it would be nice to be able to change the parameters of the bike and traffic setting (stops/distance) within the simulator.
When you are editing a bike, you can test the SandBox simulator to test each parameter impact on a trip. (I have to add the traffic setting in the sandbox simulator).
The idea of not having all the parameters in the main trip simulator page is not to affraid beginners. Trying to make it very both flexible and easy to use. Not always easy...

This is so freaking cool man. I love it!

I'm playing with it now, and it seems pretty decent so far.

Another cool feature (I know this is completely off track) but I would love to be able to add plug (charging) locations to the map around town.

I'm really excited about what you're doing.

Back