Connectivity between Halls and Ground

Sunder

10 MW
Guys,

Quick question, probably really dumb, but I'm trying to repair the connector that joins my halls on my controller.

As standard, after soldering, I always check that I haven't shorted out the pin with a nearby one. However, I noticed that between Red and any other pin, I have infinite resistance. But between Black and any of the hall wires, or any of the hall wires and any others, I have about 3-4k Ohms - Too much resistance for a short, but not sure why I'd have any at all.

Is this normal, or have I killed something? This is on the controller side, not the motor side. I understand on the motor side, that if the magnet is close to one of the hall sensors, I should get conductivity.

Thanks.

So that the signal doesn't float, there's usually a pull-up or pull-down resistor joining the signal to the 5v (pull-up) or 0v (pull-down). This gives more reliable switching. You only need to check that they switch on and off with 5v when you turn the motor (backwards if geared).

Thanks mate. So it seems that's normal. I did find it a bit funny the resistance was almost the same throughout all pin combinations, so this explains why.

Back