Some DIY chemistry talk

agniusm

1 MW
OK, so i am making a product for all e-bikers and i am at the point where i need some chemistry. I will have a stainless steel part that i need to blacken, to give 2 color options to the buyer but i don't want to use paint. So i have discovered blackening process. Looked around and it looks that no one does it in my country, only steel.
Went about on the web and got this formula:
600g NaOH
25g NaNO2
1l H2O
I went and got all the chemicals + some hardware to test it out. I Also got some HNO3 to treat stainless from contaminants before blackening process:

20141020_161253.jpg

Does any one tried this? The cleaning of stainless is done at 45-60 C but i am missing blackening temps. They should be something close to 140 C, does any one know the exact figure?

http://www.blackworksusa.com/thedetails.html
First, black oxide and bluing is the same thing, they are used interchangeably depending upon who is saying it. People in the firearms industry referrer to it as Bluing, mainly because most salts are chemically mixed to provide a slight “Blue” color to the steel rather than a blacker looking color. When it comes to industrial applications, it is usually referred to as “Black Oxide” or blackening. Same thing, same process, just called different names.

… The black oxide solution, regardless of powder or liquid form contains three main ingredients, Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) (Lye, basically your household drain cleaner as in Drano®), Sodium Nitrate, (NaNO3) and Sodium Nitrite (NaNO2). Along with this chemical mixture, there is also trace amounts of proprietary additives which give you the different colors ranging from light blue to super black.

The combination of chemicals mentioned above are then mixed with water (H2O), which is what is then referred to as a “Salt Bath”. The salt bath is typically heated between 285-310 degrees Fahrenheit. At this temperature and chemical mixture, the surface of the iron metal submerged in the bath is converted into magnetite (Fe3O4). It leaves dark or black like cosmetic appearance and a corrosion resistance finish.

Its been awhile since chemistry class, so I thought I'd post some names for the hard of remembering. I remember being interested in the process while taking chemistry class, but finding a commercial outfit that used some sort of oven chamber process that could fit my motorcycle exhaust pipes. I ended up painting them instead.

The site I linked to seem to have good information on the process, hope it helps.

Thete are 3 blackening process types. The one I want to use gives best protection and durability. I dont fancy cold backening.

Back