Bike rims vs Moto rims. Tyre outer diameter width etc

macribs

10 MW
Looking for rims there seems to be little to none info on the weight of moped/moto rims. For bikes almost always weight in the specs.
So that makes it hard to do a fair comparing of the two. Same goes for tires. For bikes almost all tires we can easily find the weight. And for moto/moped almost impossible to find weight of tires. Does anyone know of a site that has collected weight for different mc rims/tires? The only one that will honk their horn is the manufacturer of carbon wheels for motorcycles. They proudly announce the weight and claim just that to be a huge factor. And I guess it really is if you are riding a motorcycle with wide rims/tires. For e-bikers we will more then likely look for the more narrow tires as many will struggle with swing arm width already below 3" wide. So I doubt people really opt for those expensive carbon fiber rims?

I also tried to figure out what would be the outer diameter of different sized moto/moped wheels with tires, or the rolling circumference if you like. I would also find out what is the height difference between a 26" mtb wheel/tyre and an 18" moto wheel/tyre, 19" moto wheel/tyre. If a 26" mtb wheel is lined up next to a 18 and 19" moped wheel what is the differences in height?
What wheel/tyre combo will get you to match a 24" mtb wheel?
But I don't even know what to search for to find that.

Time and time over again I read that many people recommend staying away from moto parts. Even rims/tires. When asked they say it is because of the extra weight. But nowhere in here can I remember anyone said anything about what the weight penalty actually is. In share numbers.

Well numbers are great but lets not forget one of the real reasons to use moped wheels and tires. No worries of flat tires. No cold lumbs in your belly if you find yourself headed for a giant pothole and you know you can't avoid it. And I am sure on top of that mc tires will handle curves much more predictable and more in line with what we are used to from motorcycles. That means active steering, counter steer before curves, lean in and if tighter then you expected one quick counter steer to get you even further tilted.
And after all, safety too. Many ES people frequently ride past the 100 km/h mark and beyond. Knowing for sure your tires can handle it is a great thing. It gives confidence when doing high speed cornering. And I am sure it will give a more consistent ride. Where you roll off throttle way less then with your mtb tires.

Anyone done any of this already feel free to pitch in, to help or to get this moving. I feel I am being slaughtered by Google here, not knowing the correct phrase to use for searches for this matter sure does not help me finding the correct search phrase and results.

Found this, on ES :oops:
And I thought I did a search here as well, if I did must have been a poor job.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55458

Back