eZip 22T Freewheel Mod

DrkAngel

1 GW
eZip 22T Freewheel Mod

I undertook this mod with multiple goals.
(I do have several eZips, all modded differently!)

1. More torque for hills, better acceleration or non-pedal assist
2. Enforced lower speed for the inexperienced
3. Acceptable power for the rotund
4. In conjunction with higher voltage, (24-36V controller required), for 20mph capability without the torque loss common with most of my regearing mods

Staton-inc.com has available the DITCA 22T LHS freewheel that is a direct replacement for the oem 20T.
It does require a longer chain. 14 "link" (28 tooth) is too tight (without some grinding).
15 Link (30 tooth) is nearly too loose, but does work, with extra adjustment available ... encourages replacement when chain stretches.

The DICTA 22T freewheel has no removal tangs ...
So!
Before installing:
I recommend enforcing re-lacing the spokes with one or more of my recommendations.
See - eZip Broken Spokes - Solutions!

Results:
Clearance between 9T motor sprocket and 22T freewheel is close. This necessitates a more accurate alignment. I toyed with various thicknesses of washers till I got things lined up precisely.
My 25.9V pushed eBike along at 13-14mph ... nice senior or child speed limit?
My re-re-re-recycled 33.3V pack pushed along at 18-19+mph ... respectable top speed with substantial torque increase over 25.9V geared for 20mph!
I will be building a new 33.3V 31.2Ah Li-ion pack using NOS (New Old Stock) Sanyo cells. See - Homemade Battery Packs

See also:
Re-gearing the eZips - Simple Mods!
Re-volting the eZips ... Simple Mods!

Back