BEAMts Torque sensor and three Crank Gears

notger

100 W
hi,

did anyone of you ever made experiences with the beamts torque sensor.
http://www.santamonicaev.com/page12/movies/index.html

For several reasons this kind of sensor makes a lot of sense for my mid drive build.

But do you think it would work with the changing angles of a triple shifting crankset ?

cause my thought is that you may adjust the perfect distance to the beamts roller on the biggest (in my case) 44t chainring.
But then the angle to the smalles 22t chainring is quite big, and that might influence the toque measured by the hall sensor, or actually the bending of this alloy thing where the magnet is added

what do you think, or experienced about BEAMts

greets and thanks in advance

Gernot

I came across the BeamTS a few months ago, and thought it would integrate into my existing setup nicely. So I contacted them directly, and asked if I could purchase their developers kit (I thought this was the best way to buy one, since they normally sell only to OEM bike builders.)

One of the principals of the company emailed me, and asked what type of bike I had. I sent a link to E-S, with pictures of my bike, and suggested a suitable mount for the sensor.

After that, no more contact. I even followed up with several more emails...nothing. I'm wondering if they're even still in business....

I can't see that it would work with a mid-drive because the motor puts tension on the chain, so the sensor would then tell the controller to increase the power. There would be no way of stopping it. You can't use any torque sensor downstream of the motor output.

I would have to agree, this type of system would work for hub motors or setups where you have the motor driving on a separate chain. Very informative, and easy to replicate. Something I'll have to try out as a winter project.

Back