Correct Wiring to Use Through Bike Frame Magic pie 3 1000w

djmeeg

1 mW
Hi Everyone, Glad to be apart of the forum and could really do with some advice on wiring.

I am building a crusier e bike using a magic pie 3 1000w rear motor and a custom build 48v 10amp lithium ion cell power pack.

Because I want he build to be stealth I have managed to run a wiring loom through the bike frame to connect the battery pack and control wires. For the positive and negative wires we have used wiring used for 240v 13amp applications so mains appliances. It is thinner than the power cable for the motor and battery pack so I wanted peoples advice on weather this wiring is going to be suitable or will restrict the amps to the motor and possibly cause the wire to heat up ??

Before I continue the build some advice would be great. As I noticed on the magic pie 3 control panel which you see when you plug the usb adapter into a computer the peak amp draw can be upto 50amp peak ? the battery pack has been configured to handle this but will the wiring I have currently be up for the job ?

I would say that motor would be capable of drawing way more than 13 amps. I've not used one myself, but my 500W motor can draw more than 20 amps at times

djmeeg said:
so I wanted peoples advice on weather this wiring is going to be suitable
No, it too thin.

djmeeg said:
restrict the amps to the motor and possibly cause the wire to heat up ??
It will probably heat up and melt the insulation. If you're lucky (and have a fuse) it will blow this and you'll have a mess on your hands. If your unlucky it will cause your battery (assuming Li-on) to catch fire which is even less fun.

Google this forum for info on wire size - lot's of advice.

the above post is trying to be help. Blunt sure, but help. The batteries and power in these system can be dangerous. Have a read through this thread here..

Something else that is really good to understand: the current carrying capacity of a system needs thick wires. The voltage carrying capacity of a system needs good separation / insulation.

Thanks for the advice, So I guess conclusion drawn is the wiring is not suitable and also I will need a good fuse wired inbetween the motor and power pack.

So does anyone know where I could source suitable wiring ?

djmeeg said:
Thanks for the advice, So I guess conclusion drawn is the wiring is not suitable and also I will need a good fuse wired inbetween the motor and power pack.

So does anyone know where I could source suitable wiring ?

Have a look at this http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

For a bike you need to look at the "Maximum amps for chassis wiring" and I would probably pick something like 12AWG which you can buy from here (hobby king)

Back