Why use XLR connectors?

I'm just curious as to whether anyone has any idea why the XLR connector seems to be the default standard for the charging cable? The XLR is a high quality ($$$) connector used primarily for audio/video equipment, and just seems like overkill for a simple (DC) application like charging a battery. There are many, less costly and less bulky alternatives out there.
Is anyone aware of what features the XLR connector offers versus other connectors, which justifies it's use? Left up to me, I'd replace the XLR with three Anderson Powerpoles (I'm making some modification to my setup), but I'd like to hear if there are any good reasons why the XLRs are better.
Any feedback would be really appreciated! :D

XLR is a solid connection that can't be plugged in incorrectly. For the average person it is a good idea. I use 6.5mm gold bullet plugs on about everything personally.

Heh.. i have a box of those XLR's, i swap them for andersons personally.

After some use, they become loose enough to be ok, but at first they are too tight and you end up yanking on wires too much...

I bet they are some cheap in china.... 3 pin is good for chargers that use a thermal sensor/10k ntc ..

Back