Building a KH318 Controller

Recently, I order a few controller kits from Keywin to pass the time during the Fall and Winter months. I asked for both 12 FET Sensorless and 18 FET Sensored kits. The 12 FETs were pretty familiar, with a couple new updates, such as silk screening the recommended component values. I guess Keywin got tired of people asking, haha. They were EB312 boards. However, the 18 FET boards look quite different. There is an area at the right side of the board for a secondary power supply that Keywin advised was for voice functionality. Something to explore in the future, as this post is how to build the controller to have the usual functionality we are accustomed to using.

Here is the KH318-FS-1 board. Keywin added the primary ps components and some smaller caps around the board.
01 KH318 Board.jpg

The first thing I do is to install the FETs on the heatsink bar to align their legs and tighten them down. Waiting until the board is populated makes it difficult to tighten the FET screws, especially near the wire exit cover. Also, it is more likely to damage a cap, pull a wire or cause other damage when trying to access the screw head with the screwdriver.
02 Thermal Insulator.jpg
03 Adding FETS to bar.jpg
04 Aligning and tightening FETS.jpg

Next I added solid 12awg copper to the power traces. On the smaller boards I use a single wire, however on the 18 FET there is room to place a parallel set in a couple places.
05 Adding Copper1.jpg
06 Adding Copper2.jpg
View attachment 17

After all the copper has been added, I installed the phase and power wires.
08 Adding Phase A.jpg
09 Phase A Closeup.jpg
10 Adding Phase Topside.jpg
11 Complete Copper Addition.jpg

Next I added the remaining large caps, threaded the 10awg wires through the end cap and addes the signal wires.
12 Adding Buss Caps.jpg
13 Thread Fat Wires.jpg
View attachment 10
15 Adding signal wires.jpg
16 Adding signal wires2.jpg

After all the heat and added mass, the boards have a tendency to bend. To correct this a little, I start soldering the FETS on one end closer to the FET body working my way to the other end, using leverage to straighten the board. A principle carpenters use to create straight frames with bent 2x4s.
17 Bent Board.jpg
18 Flatened Board.jpg

I forgot to add the CA wires during the signal wire step, so they were added.
19 Add CA connections.jpg

Next glued down the caps with RTV sensor safe silicone.
20 Add Cap Glue.jpg

With all the added copper and solder the power traces touched the case in a few places, so I added some plastic sheeting between the board and case for insulation before tightening the heatsink screws. One of my early mistakes was to not do this and it did not end well. That board was not quite touching the case, but a nice pot hole caused the board to jiggled enough to make contact. Doh! :shock:
21 Case Bottom Insulator.jpg

The last build step was to terminate the phase and power wires. I used 45A Andersons. Thankfully, Keywin included the connectors on the signal wires. 8)
22 Terminating Wires.jpg
View attachment 1
24 45A Anderson Crimp Soldered.jpg

With the build completed, I tested the controller and it worked fine. Usually I reprogram before testing, but I do not have any programming software specific to the KH3XX boards and was worried I may brick it. However, curiosity, the lack of certain functionality and an obviously low amp setting prompted me to try reprogramming the controller. The EB3XX software worked fine. I will try to get new software and will report back if successful.

Has anyone else seen these boards and know of any new functionality aside from the voice function? I was hoping for proportional regen like on the EB8XX boards from e-bikekit.com a few years ago, but so far have had no luck.

Glad to hear that the reprogramming works. did you try XPD? I guess if the standard EB3xx software works so will XPD.

I have just received one complete..but the 12 FET version
I see it has a totally different power supply front end. I guess it is more capable of running at wider voltage ranges.

One question though.

I was expecting a EB3xx board, not this new unknown board. I asked Keywin for the R12 mod, for higher voltage regen, for running at 82-84 volt

But I see looking at the back of this board, he has not done that. Possibly because it does not need it? do you know anythgin about this? and what settings I will have to use?

I will send him a mail too. EDIT...e-mail sent...at 1722. reply at 1751.. he is quick with his replies.

Original R12 is 1200 Ω
his r12 mod is a second SMD on top . so overall resistance is now 600 Ω
An easy ratio..just set half the HVC value and LVC value and get twice that figure.

On looking at the board under a lit loupe..maybe the R12 mod has been done in a different way..rather than adding a parallel resistor, looks like R12 on the front of the board has been swapped out.

The voice control is interesting. I wonder if it is used to measure the riders level of panic...saves the need for a cut out switch ...a panicked shout of '''OH F U C K " instantly cuts the power?
:eek:

Hello,

Nice project. where did you buy these controller kits. searched for keywin but couldn't finf it.

Greets

Dennis

Hola amigos,soy cubano y recientemente he adquirido un scooter eléctrico con un controlador KH318.he leído que usted tiene algunos conocimientos con este tipo de controlador. Me gustaría saber si son programables y que necesito para poderlos programar. También necesito saber si se les puede poner retroceso (velocidad inversa).y de ser posible donde debo conectarle un cable porque solo trae para 3 velocidades pero no trae retroceso.espero puedas entender lo que escribo y puedas ayudarme..mi correo es dayer@nauta.cu y mi WhatsApp es +5353140968

Attachments

• 20220209_181634.jpg
    20220209_181634.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 264
Back