Auto Cruise vs Manual Cruise

brianLEV

10 mW
Hi,

I have a question regarding Cruise control. Hope someone can answer.

Auto Cruise is activate cruise by holding throttle at same position for some amount of seconds.

Manual Cruise is activate cruise by pressing a button.

Can I check: Can a microcontroller allows Auto Cruise and Manual Cruise at the same time?

That means user can choose to activate by auto or manual method, depending on his preference or it is a choose one out of two basis.

can someone advise me on the technical feasibility?

between auto cruise vs manual cruise, which is better?

Hi,

From using regularly my car's cruise control I can definitely say that it's safer to use a manual cruise control with adjustable speed input when it's turned "ON" and also with automatic desactivation when you press the brake. Also the cruising speed could have a minimum speed limit set so you don't randomly crash into an obstacle in front of you byt hinking that your bike would stand put.

Using an automatic turn ON cruise control could lead you to unexpected situations IMHO, i.e. you are steady on your throttle because you're just worrying about other drivers or passing by people. You sometimes need to slow down a bit without braking too much (think of when a driver is doing s*** and sticking behind you). Then you want to adjust by letting go off the throttle and your bike just activated automatically cruise control, so you keep going at the same speed. Which causes :
-why is my bike just keeping on?
-->Delayed reaction to cut off the cruise control and adjust to what you wanted. In many situations that's not an issue, but this can also be a case of life and death on a 2 wheeled vehicle.

So I'd vote for manual activation, automatic desactivation when braking is applied and also stuffs like minimum speed limit and speed adjustability :D

hi, so techically for ebike cruise,

you cant hc a mode that incorporates auto or manual cruise at the same time.

if i add a button in for cruise, can i also hv a choice to use the throttle hold method.

On my Adappto controller, I can quickly tap the throttle three times to cruise at my current speed, or I can use a button on the display. But with my power levels, I have disabled the tap-set cruise, as it could be quite dangerous. :twisted:

Manual cruise all the way.

what i mean is can you have both auto (throttle holding) and manual (button) cruise at the same time? (without changing any connection)

and user can pick whichever method they like to start the cruise???

can someone cfm this? thanks. for ebike usage.

Don't waste your time with auto-cruise on an EBike. It's almost impossible to set because you can't hold the throttle still for long enough for it to engage except at full throttle, where it engages when you don't want it to.

I see most ebikes controller have an auto cruise timing of 6 to 8 seconds commonly....

6 to 8 seconds seem reasonable. anything too short may lead to unwanted activation of cruise.

tilt the throttle a bit and it should make things easier to hold.

d8veh said:
Don't waste your time with auto-cruise on an EBike. It's almost impossible to set because you can't hold the throttle still for long enough for it to engage except at full throttle, where it engages when you don't want it to.
I didn't like getting surprised by the auto-cruise feature on an undocumented controller, but I got used to it. Now I've learned to include brake 'blips' in my control actions. I always have two fingers over each brake lever so it hasn't been a problem, yet.

Without the ability to enable/disable auto-cruise with a switch, I'd rather not have it.

I'm not aware of any controllers that have both manual and auto.

gogo said:
Without the ability to enable/disable auto-cruise with a switch, I'd rather not have it.
+1

Another option is to deactivate the controller autocruise and pick up a Crystalyte cruise control - designed to plug (only) into Crystalyte controllers. But - with an adapter it plugs between your ebrake (which you MUST have), throttle, and your controller. It provides on/off and step up/down control.

Available for $19 from Ed Lyen with an adapter cable so it can be used directly with his Infineon (Xie Chang) controllers. The adapter should work fine with other controllers with adjustments made to the connectors/pin outs. It can also be used with a CA V3 with a little tinkering.

See this post for wiring if you get the unit from a source other than Lyen or need to get his working with a non-Lyen controller.

cruise-control.png
As with all these cruise controls, this is not like a car cruise control that locks the speed - they all lock the throttle setting instead which will have whatever effect the controller provides. For a typical ebike controller, the bike will slow down under load (hill) but otherwise will reach and keep up the same speed (incidentally) on the flat.

hmm...

is it a hardware limitation that you cant hv auto and manual cruise at the same time?

if nt, why controller did nt hv both modes together at the same time, which user can activate by choice.

The problem with having both is that presently the only way I know of to do that, with one of the autocruise type controllers (like the old GrinTech 6FET I have as a backup on CB2), is to add something like the old Crystalyte cruise control modules or similar, that take your throttle input and pass it thru to the controller, except when you activate the manual cruise via it's button(s), in which case it sends it's own signal and ignores your throttle.

Then, because it is simply sending a steady throttle signal as soon as you activate manual cruise via the cruise control unit, the controller now thinks you're trying to set autocruise, and it will then *still* have autocruise set even after you disengage the manual cruise (depending on how the manual cruise unit sends an output signal during disengage).

So then you still ahve to disengage the autocruise, and you have basically just doubled the time it takes to get out of cruise, depenidng on how each mode is disengaged.

At least some fo the autocruise controllers disengage when you change the throttle setting enough from where you had it, like down to zero and then up again. I forget exactly how the one I have here works, but it's documented in my CB2 thread from last year between July and December somewhere (probably early on, in July or August). It surprised me at first, and I thought it would be useful and desirable, but it ended up causing more problems than it fixed, because it would only set when I didn't want it to, and it was sometimes problematic to deactivate it fast enough when i needed to.

If you could design a controller to have both auto and manual, I guess it could work, but I suspect many, even most, would not want both.

These days I use a mechanical cruise control--friction fo teh throttle against the grip. Very easy to disengage, *and* can instantly set it back to it's original level after braking simply by leaving it in place and using the ebrake to turn off teh controller, whcih when i let go of the ebrake lever then resumes at the same throtle level it had before. If I don't want it to I just flick the throttle down to zero when I am braking.

However: If you have a *torque* throttle instead of a speed throttle (almost all ebike controllers use speed throttles), I suspect cruise cotnrol would need to work differently. Not sure, as I have never yet had a torque throttle. (not counting using the CA as one, because it still feeds the controller with a speed throttle as that's what the cotnroller still uses).

EDIT: what I mean by "speed" trhottle is that it controls the voltage to the motor, not the torque provided by the motor. A true speed trhottle would really use feedback from wheel sensors to maintain a constant speed based on a particular throttle setting, and I have yet to use an ebike controller that does that. (you can do that with the CA, AFAICR, but again, it's not teh cotnroller doing it, it's the external device).

I think that if you ahve enough practice with autocruise, and you aren't on bumpy or vibration-causing roads, or you ahve a VERY hard grip on your throttle so it can't change at all, autocruise as presently implemented in many ebike cotnrollers is probably workable.

But if you're the typical rider on typical roads it's tough to get autocruse to set or unset as needed without a lot of practice--and if you don't even know it is there or how it works when you first go for a ride, if you're riding in dense traffic with unpredictable stuff happening around you, you may not get a second ride until you've reparied yourself and your bike after the autocruise either sets itself when you didn't want/expect it to, or you got distracted trying ot *get* ti to set. :(

amberwolf, wouldn't it be good to have manual and auto cruise at the same time, so user have the flexibility and the choice?

e.g. I set auto cruise timing at 8 seconds and also hv a button.

i can choose to activate cruise either by holding it for 8 seconds or by pressing a button with some minimal throttle (then i don't have to hold so long)

i think 8 seconds is a good timing so you wouldn't activate cruise by accidental.

what conflict will it have if both auto cruise and manual cruise are together?

Any cruise ONLY with ebrake switches.

With that satisfied, I like 2s auto-cruise. Seems to avoid most of the "hold steady throttle" issue although I'm talking 500-800W mini-motors here.

Back