Help choosing a new controller

undertow

100 µW
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a new controller to make sure my bike will run at its full potential, and currently I believe that my controller is giving me issues.
I read the controller advice thread, and it really just ended up blowing my mind with options.

Currently my bike is 48v, 40A max 1500w motor, 20Ah battery, and im planning on a 60-72v set up down the track.

Some controllers which I think would be the sweetest are a few of the Kelly ones. But between three models (KBL, KBS, KEB) they all seem to provide the same/similar specs as eachother.
Does anyone have experience with these three models, or explain the difference between them? (beside obvious things, volts, amps, physical size)

Specific models: KBL48101X, KBS48101X and KEB48201X

Thanks and all advice is greatly appreciated!

I've been running my 48V 1000W motor kit on a $35 shipped 1500W 72V 40A controller for 3.5years now. First year I ran 18s lipo. Last 2.5 years I've been running 24s lipo. But it's your money. Good luck.

That was my other thought, just getting a beefier no-name job. I suppose the only limit for that is making sure the 72v controller can run at 48v ?

The LVC on a typical 72V controller is 62V, so a 48V battery won't work on it. As long as you can find the LVC resistor(s), it would be a simple matter of installing a switch to change the resistance for as many voltage settings as you need for different voltages. IOW's you could have a switch to change between 3 different voltage fairly easily. Or you could use a pot and have virtually unlimited LVC voltages to suit any voltage you want. I run 24s lipo so I just set my LVC to 84V on controllers. On the first I did install a 0-5k pot in parallel with the original resistor, so I can adjust it from the original 62V upward to any voltage I want. If I ever need to go lower than 62V, I'll just remove the original resistor for an infinite setting.

Had good success with a generic ebay controller too.. once I got the Hall combos right. 60v 1500w, using it on a 72v lead pack that pushes to 37mph, running fine for about 6000 miles now. The LVC actually works out pretty well with the saggy voltage, cutting out under heavy load, but with plenty left for making it home at 20 instead of 30. They sell one with an external 48/60/72 selector switch too for about $120.

how about something like this? its similar to what i have at the moment except a few extra things like this 'self learning' thing and swanky cruise etc etc.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electric-Bicycle-Brushless-Motor-Controller-48V-72V-1500W-For-E-bike-Scooter-/181128836517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a2c1eb5a5

Considering im only going for a simple build, are there any controllers out there which are a basic motor+hall, power and throttle?

...or even this?
http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=38&product_id=82

I almost got that one, the 48/60/72 one... the one I got had the same swanky stuff...door lock feed (cut off), hi/lo e brake (cut off), self learn (couldn't make it learn, by passed and rearranged Halls), cruise (cut off..I just wedge my grip against my throttle) 3 level power ( jumpered with a paperclip..it def affects the power if left unhooked up to something), full voltage output for dc/dc converter hookup (that made a BIG 72v spark figuring out what that one did). That one might have totally different curves.. but the similar one I got makes great power in the 25 to 37 range with the three way jumpered to high...mellowish enough acceleration from a start that my friends have hardly wheelied it over more that a couple times, but noticeable bump at 25/26 that makes you grab the bars as it jumps to top speed. Perfect for intown car speed matching...

I almost got that one, the 48/60/72 one... the one I got had the same swanky stuff...door lock feed (cut off), hi/lo e brake (cut off), self learn (couldn't make it learn, by passed and rearranged Halls), cruise (cut off..I just wedge my grip against my throttle) 3 level power ( jumpered with a paperclip..it def affects the power if left unhooked up to something)

is this the eBay unit you are talking about?

It was a learning experience..5 of the 8 things coming out of it were labeled "hall sensor"! The actual halls, throttle, battery in and phase out were easy..but deciding which wire made it actually turn on was tougher. Turns out the smaller black and red were the full pack voltage out for a dc/dc converter, not for an on switch. Heck of a spark on that one.
Then when I finally figured out what to put voltage to....the motor jumped to full blast slamming between forward and reverse spinning... I love how fast you can yank Andersons loose.
Never could get the self learn going...researched it and tried many times...gave up and made a little Halls vs. Phase chart and swapped pins till it ran... it sucked the carpet up into the back wheel when it slipped during a reverse running combo... Going to higher power yanks thing around a LOT more fyi.
Like I said..it was a learning experience!

Back