Bosch Intuvia display

My Grace ebike is fitted with a Bosch Performance Line motor system, and a Bosch Intuvia display/HID.

The system is 8 month old and been running 3000km.

Now a malfunction has appeared in the display: First i had problems with shifting power mode and shifting between the different "info-modes" in the display fx. "trip-time" or "avg. speed". Later the problem is only the "info-modes"

What has happend?

It might be the weather, is has become winther here in Denmark, so its colder and it has been raining heavily for to weeks.

I read on Pedelecs.co.uk that it might just be a reset issue (http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/intuvia-without-reset-button.18382/)
And i just needed to go to the dealer, but thats to easy.

/philip

Attachments

• Intuvia_P2_PL_LF.jpg
    Intuvia_P2_PL_LF.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 9,162
I have decided to open the display to take a look.

To of the seven screws on the back is "secured" with some glue. It is probably statet somewere that it will break warrenty to remove the glue and open the display. Well my soldering iron softended the glue to peel it off and open the back of the display.

On the inside is a pcb with a ARM processor, LCD and a Lithium Ion battery.

Since there is no reset button, i will try to desolder the battery and solder it back on after some time.

/philip

Attachments

• IMG_20141227_111419 redigeret.jpg
    IMG_20141227_111419 redigeret.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 9,161
  • IMG_20141227_112001 redigeret.jpg
    IMG_20141227_112001 redigeret.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 9,161
After removal of the battery I have tried the display on the bike again, and nothing has changed. So removing the battery did'nt solve the issue.

The display appears do be watertight, with a rubber gasket. But i can't figure out if the contact points on the back of the display is sealed, they does'nt appear to be, they just seems to have a really tight fit.

There was'nt any water inside the display, there were some "water marks" near the battery, but i think it might be from the flush solvent when the battery was originally soldered on to the pcb.

I guess i have to go to the dealer with it.

/philip

So far the only wisdom i get from this, is that the battery is now known, should anybody need to replace it.

The cell is a LiPo 3.7v 240mAh with the number 502030.
Just google it and you will find it for around 5$.

/philip

voicecoils said:
Are you having problems with the same buttons on the remote and on the display?

You might be into something there, there is only one button one the remote that has a similar button on the display and that is the "i" button and that one is working on the display but not properly one the remote.

So i will take apart the remote and se if there is an issue there.

/philip

Kiriakos GR said:
Before taking apart with out reason anything else.
Just read the users guide of that system first.

Yes, and then?

/philip

I read the manual once more and can't find any clues on how to solve this in an authorized way. Other then contacting the dealer.

In the other thread on Pedelecs.co.uk, mentioned earlier, they talk about running the battery down in the display, but that is not possible with this 2.gen model, because it turns off after one minute to save battery.

So now is left to take apart the remote control.

/philip

Kiriakos GR said:
After watching this video http://youtu.be/NzizdyveBUc I will say do not do anything.
Any attempt to open it it would kill your warranty.

For a minute I thought that it connect by a wireless system to the main unit, but the truth is that it does use a cable.
Cable failure? connector proper Connection failure? button switch failure? everything is possible.

Killing warranty is one of my favorite hobbies, and in this case to late :D

I have opened the remote now, and first some tips for others "warranty killers":

The button plastic piece is to be lifted off vertical, not bend or sideways. Or some very small plastic pin will break.
When underneath the button plastic six screws is revealed, the to in the middle has a rubber gasket underneath, be careful they are very small.

Now when looking inside the remote there is no doubt, water has entered the housing through the "i" button, there are clearly marks after dried water on the PCB. And the design of the water sealant of the "i" button is the weakest spot in this construction. I tried to clean up, but it's difficult because of the switch on the PCB. And after the first test i didn't succeed in getting it working, I will try another day when i get to my shop, then doing it in this dark bicycle cellar.

/philip

Attachments

• IMG_20141227_195120 redigeret.jpg
    IMG_20141227_195120 redigeret.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 9,095
  • IMG_20141227_195530 redigeret.jpg
    IMG_20141227_195530 redigeret.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 9,095
Arvicola Terrestris said:
voicecoils said:
Are you having problems with the same buttons on the remote and on the display?

You might be into something there, there is only one button one the remote that has a similar button on the display and that is the "i" button and that one is working on the display but not properly one the remote.

So i will take apart the remote and se if there is an issue there.

/philip

Ok, I have two other suggestions that you could try.

First is to loosen the mounting bracket that holds the display or remove the bracket from the bike completely. It has a very low torque spec so if it's been overtightened it can cause the bracket to warp and not make proper contact with the display.

Second would be to take your bike to a bike shop that has Bosch powered models and ask if they will let you try one of their displays in your bike. If your remote works fine using their display, then you know only your display is at fault.

Are the remote's + and - buttons working currently or not?

The "+" and "-" buttons are working now, but didn't work a week ago.

It is worth noting that in the manual it states that the HMI (Display/HID) is: "IP 54 (dust and splash water protected)", but i would question if the "i" button is correct IP54 design.
5 is for dust protection (limited ingress of dust permitted (no harmful deposit))
4 is for water protection (protected against water splashed from all directions.)

Because the "i"-button has no seal under controlled compression, it is only sealed by snug fit and against the PCB. Which obviously won't hold for longer time and use. It will work when tested and that's it.

Thanks to Kiriakos GR and Voicecoils for good ideas and suggestions.

I will first try to loosen the bracket and see if anything happens.
Then i will visit my "local" Bosch ebike dealer (20km away).

/philip

voicecoils said:
Second would be to take your bike to a bike shop that has Bosch powered models and ask if they will let you try one of their displays in your bike. If your remote works fine using their display, then you know only your display is at fault.

Theses things are a nightmare. They're programmed individually to the motor unit, so you can't even buy a replacement. The whole bike has to go back to the dealer so he can program and fit the new display. Not all the dealers have the equipment. Borrowing a display from another bike won't work!

d8veh said:
voicecoils said:

Theses things are a nightmare. They're programmed individually to the motor unit, so you can't even buy a replacement. The whole bike has to go back to the dealer so he can program and fit the new display. Not all the dealers have the equipment. Borrowing a display from another bike won't work!

I don't think that's correct. At my shop we had someone come by with a Bosch powered bike they bought elsewhere with what seemed to be a non-functioning display. We took a display off a bike on our floor, inserted it into the guys bike and it worked fine. They were two different brands of bikes and using two different drive lines (Performance and Active) but both from the current generation.

I also see the display for sale online in several places:
http://www.ebike-easy.com/products/Parts/Accessories/Bosch-Accessories/Bosch-Intuvia-Display.html
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/bosch-performance-intuvia-display

voicecoils said:
First is to loosen the mounting bracket that holds the display or remove the bracket from the bike completely. It has a very low torque spec so if it's been overtightened it can cause the bracket to warp and not make proper contact with the display.

That has been tried now, and didn't solve it. Impressive how nice those screws where tighten.

/philip

Arvicola Terrestris said:
voicecoils said:

That has been tried now, and didn't solve it. Impressive how nice those screws where tighten.

/philip

Sorry to hear that didn't help.

Have you had the chance to try a different display at a bike shop?

I went to the dealer and got a new remote on warranty.

And after the first rainfall that one doesn't work either. This part is simply designed wrong.

Hello,

My Intuvia display type 12070020906 (model with usb) fells :(

Is it possible to change only the display (glas), just like they used to do by broken displays from smartphone's ?

grts

Attachments

• IntuviaFront.pdf
    23.4 KB · Views: 239
  • IntuviaBack.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 159
How to connect a phone or other gadget to the Intuvia Display:

Into the Intuvia display goes a "micro-a usb"
Into your phone goes a "micro-b usb" (newer android/gopro/garmin/etc.)

Here is a couple of links for this specific type of cable:

http://www.partsdata.co.uk/usb-cabl...5/micro-usb-kabel-mit-micro-a-an-micro-b-50cm

http://www.electriccyclery.com/shop...ion-electric-bike/intuvia-usb-charging-cable/

http://www.elektrofahrrad24.de/2015-bosch-e-bike-usb-ladekabel-micro-micro-b-intuvia#.VtNVMuakHDs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370578650364?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301878916801?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300879087937?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Attachments

• Micro A to Micro B.jpg
    Micro A to Micro B.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 7,889
I managed to get my remote working again by cleaning up the water damage underneath the buttons. The down button hardly ever worked, and the info button would occasionally change the assistance level.

file.php

Attachments

• 2016-08-17 13.11.15.jpg
    2016-08-17 13.11.15.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 5,511
Back