test question

Joe Cool

1 mW
I am new to this E Bike although I have owned the same E Bike since 2007....a Schwinn Campus E Bike. It was running but recently stopped; it has the tongxin 180 watt motor and their little controler.
How can I check the motor easily...it has three wires so it has no sensor.

I have 24 volts to check it but unsure how to test it.

How do I apply 24 volts to those three wires or dont I?

Thanks JC

At 8 years your battery did very well indeed. It's most likely dead now. Take it to somebody with a multimeter.

I have a multi meter...just want to see if the motor is good or not. I have not rode the bike much since then...but it still was working until the other day it quit...so I am not an electrical whiz but could check some basics.
Thanks

You're trying to test the motor the wrong way. You should measure its output. Turn your multimeter to 20v AC. Connect the probes to any pair of phase wires. Turn the motor as fast as you can backwards. You should see some volts come on the meter. Repeat for the other two pairs. If they all generate some volts, your motor is probably OK. Note that the two key words are AC and backwards.

The easiest way to test the motor is to disconnect it from the controller and make sure the phase wires aren't shorting together. It should spin pretty freely. Then short 2 phases together and it should be harder to turn, typically with a very notched feel. Then short all 3 together and it should be even harder to turn, but it will be more smooth. If you don't get those results, then with trial and error shorting 2 together will help you determine which one or 2 phases are a problem.

BTW, if your motor is geared, it will freewheel when turned forward. So do that test with it spinning backwards to feel the resistance.

its a very old tox 180 watt motor...I think its brushless because i feel some resistance when I pedal?

thanks

I hooked up a volt meter 20ac.one way it turns free the other way notchy.....with any two wires hooked up I get .20-.25 on the meter turning very very slow
When I turn it fast I get .02 to .03

Not sure what that means?

"The easiest way to test the motor is to disconnect it from the controller and make sure the phase wires aren't shorting together. It should spin pretty freely. Then short 2 phases together and it should be harder to turn, typically with a very notched feel. Then short all 3 together and it should be even harder to turn, but it will be more smooth. If you don't get those results, then with trial and error shorting 2 together will help you determine which one or 2 phases are a problem"

My results with the above test are exactly as talked about in the above quote........so is this good or bad?

Your motor is probably OK. They're normally pretty reliable unless you do silly things to them. If it's not working, the problem is much more likely in the battery or controller.

Joe Cool said:
"The easiest way to test the motor is to disconnect it from the controller and make sure the phase wires aren't shorting together. It should spin pretty freely. Then short 2 phases together and it should be harder to turn, typically with a very notched feel. Then short all 3 together and it should be even harder to turn, but it will be more smooth. If you don't get those results, then with trial and error shorting 2 together will help you determine which one or 2 phases are a problem"

My results with the above test are exactly as talked about in the above quote........so is this good or bad?

That means good, and the windings, including your phase wires out to the connectors are all fine.

Back