If We could WEDGE a Little Knowledge into Bike Store cracks

Dauntless

100 TW
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/wald-2350-stem-expander-bolt-and-wedge?gclid=CNyjn5azq8MCFYM9aQodKlEAmw

So that seems to be about the cheapest I'll be able to get a wedge for the gooseneck. The shipping is more than the part. But what a week of finding local bike shops and asking about such a routine part.

That noone carries these isn't much of a shock, since of course they're stunned that I won't just buy a whole new gooseneck. But oh, the amazing names they think up for parts trying to bluff their way through the lack of knowledge. I listened to kids who could probably barely RIDE a bike, much less fix one, insisting that the proper name for these is "Plunger," "Slant bolt" etc., a few goodies so obscure I can't get around it to remember.

But since these weren't even for bicycles (Needed one for a Currie scooter and one for a goped) I tried the scooter shop. More entertainment as this kid shows me what the THINKS holds on the gooseneck. (Which people also came up with interesting names for.)

I was building bikes from junk back in grade school, back when people were at least more knowledgeable at the store. Though there'd be the interesting new guy from time to time. When he dreamed up something that it was "Really" called, I'd point out that he'd need to learn the name I'd given him. If he was going to persist with his nonsense, this 20-30 year old guy would have this 12 year old looking up at him saying "I've obviously been doing this longer than you have. . . ."

So if I ever do find these locally I figure I'd better bring home a bag of them now while I can. I got these scooters from this rich family where the kid just keeps screwing these things up and dad just keeps buying him more. (What a happy life, eh?)

It doesn't surprise me about the lack of knowledge. I ran into that a lot when I first started my ebike quest, but at the time I had no idea they didn't know anything either, because *I* didn't yet. (I still lack quite a lot of detailed bicycle knowledge).

For myself, If I really needed just that bolt and wedge, and couldn't wait until I happen to run across a free junk bike I could get it from, I'd go to Goodwill or similar and snag a bike from there, like an OTS, which often run from $10 to $20, and have a lot of usable parts. If I don't need any high quality I could buy a little kid's bike at such places for even less, and use the wedge or bolt or both from that.

FWIW, I've probably got some of those here, if you're not in a hurry I could find one and send it to you for the cost of postage, whatever that would be. But I expect there's someone in your area that you coudl get one from easier.

Hey thanks, I think I'm good for the moment. But it's worrisome to see these doors and windows seeming to close.

I'm just amazed that they don't bother to hire kids who are already working on bikes to work in the stores. They didn't when I was old enough to get a job, I can tell you from experience. They could at least make THIS required reading down there. http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html

Time for you to build yourself a small bike junkyard. Grab anything cheap enough, at the flea, my max price for a partial bike is $20. So when I need a bolt for a v brake, or a stem, I got several.

In particular, I look for half a good quality bike for $20, because it will have a great crank, great stem, great brake handles, etc on it. I strip the bikes, and have sorted boxes of parts. Many of the frames, especially cheap aluminum ones, just get sold for scrap.

Impossible to find, one with a good rear wheel. :roll: But usually I put the motor there. 8)

Back