idea for an ezip Trailz upgrade to 36V

Haseeb2

10 µW
I have read quite a lot about the new Ezip Trailz factory set controller not being able to handle 36V and have also read that the stock motor can burn up at 36V as well. Therefore, I have come up with a plan to upgrade my new ezip to take 36V... Electricscooterparts.com sells a 36V motor which has the same dimensions as the ezip stock motor so I will order that and order a 36V controller as well. The only tricky thing is I have to figure out how to appropriately wire the new controller based on the diagram given and compare it to how my stock controller is wired. I know the connectors for the wires inside the controller will be different, but all I have to do in that circumstance is cut off some of the new connectors and put on the ones which appropriately match the wiring connectors of my ezip.

I would like to know if anyone has done this. At this point it is only an idea... I have not moved forward with it yet as I do not know how much of an improvement in speed and range it would make.

AFAIK, the stock motor is a 450W motor and the 24V controller is a 35A max controller. That's 840W max from the battery pack. Using a 36V 25A controller would be 900W. So not much difference as far as the motor is concerned. I'm sure there's lots of people that have gone to 36V with the stock motor without burning it up. Try searching ezip 36v in the forum.

If someone was shopping for a turn-key E-bike, I think there are better choices than the eZip Trailz, but...if you already have one, and your commute is relatively flat....the Trailz is actually a decent commuter.

When the stock batteries wear out, an upgrading from 24V SLA to 36V Lithium is a very good thing to do. I wouldn't run the stock motor at 48V, but I have been told they work OK at 36V (I haven't done that myself). I'm told the biggest weakness of these brushed motors is the amps. For 36V you will (of course) have to change the controller, but brushed controllers are quite affordable.

This is why they are not recommended for hills, the extra amps will cause the motor to overheat. If the stock motor works well for you at 36V and 20A, then changing the motor is not neccesary. It is not the peak amps that will kill the stock motor. I believe for short bursts it should be able to survive 30A, but if you feed a small motor like this (it has poor heat-shedding) for any length of time (like on a long uphill) I can guarantee that it will fry. I just dont know how steep or how long your hills are. Upgrade the battery to lithium, upgrade to 36V, upgrade the controller...then see how it goes. Doesn't matter if you baby the motor, they are not popular and they have almost no resale value.

By that I mean if you upgrade the motor first, it may have been unnneccesary. If you are going to upgrade the three things I mentioned anyways, upgrade them first and the stock motor might work out OK. you can always upgrade the motor later if you still want to...

https://www.electricbike.com/2014-ezip-trailz-lithium

I have been thinking about changing the stock motor on my ezip Trailz to a 36V 450 W so I can speed it up without worrying about burning up my motor. Now the controller is a different issue, but one controller which looks like a winner to me is SPD-601000A available on electric scooter parts dot com. It is more expensive, but the wiring is much simpler. If I get this, all I have to do put on the new motor, ditch my stock throttle and plug every up without having to worry so much about re-wiring. I can put on a 36V battery or perhaps even experiment with higher voltages if I so wish.

Has anyone used the SPD-6000A with an ezip with 36V or higher battery?

Thanks

Bro first fill in the box for your location than read other threads mainly from Dark Angel is a zip master then put some time in reading as that most is their, but if not this is E.S. for help.

I have a 2013 model eZip Trailz that is setup for 36V. I bought my controller and throttle as a kit from monsterscooterparts http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/currie-36-volt-5-pin-controller-throttle.html I used 2 18.5V Lipo batteries in series with a 30C rating to power it. If I go wide open throttle for more than about 10 seconds the motor shuts down and the red LED on the battery indicator at the throttle goes red, I have to shut off the bike and then turn it on again for it to work. I'm really not sure why it does this, the motor doesnt have time to get hot that quickly IMO. I think maybe its the controller but it is a Currie controller and was basically plug and play. This is the second controller because I thought the first one was defective, but it does the same thing but it is the same controller.
Maybe a different controller from another manufacturer would work better (if that is indeed the problem). I have seen YouTube vids of people riding eZip Trailz at 36v AND EVEN 48V for extensive amounts of time and the bike doesn't shut off on them. I opted to buy a 48V 1000 watt rear hub motor kit on eBay instead of dealing with the eZip further, I might try a different controller for the eZip one day or I might just return it to factory specs as I never had a problem when it ran on 24V. I hope everything works out for you and your eZip!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V1000W-26-Rear-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-LCD-Display-Motor-Kit-E-Bike-Conversion-/291340427977?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d53e22c9

Back