Throttle Conversion

I plan on adding in parallel a slide variable resistor to create a cruise control of sorts. I am getting a ton of pain in my arm from holding my throttle. When im on my 10mile commute I want to get started from a light and set the slider to assist.

It looks like i just need to tap into the RED, WHITE, and BLUE wires from the throttle to make this happen. Has anybody done this before and do you have any suggestions?

Regardless of the electrical requirements, it's not a good idea to be riding with a motor that's locked ON.

Take a look at this post for an inexpensive cruise control that will drop out when you hit the brakes. This is compatible with your present throttle. Worst case, you will need to buy one ebrake lever or hidden wire brake sensor.

I do it with a second thumb throttle with the spring removed. Use a three-pole switch to switch from each throttle's signal wire to one that goes to the controller. Don't make a cruise control unless you have brake switches connected.

d8veh said:
I do it with a second thumb throttle with the spring removed. Use a three-pole switch to switch from each throttle's signal wire to one that goes to the controller. Don't make a cruise control unless you have brake switches connected.

Hi d8veh, I am interested in this. Could you please kindly explain it in details?

NeilP said:
Very easy, excuse the 30 second Paint drawing

Thank you for the drawing. I can understand the connection with the drawing, but sorry I do not understand the operation. Would you please explain the operation to have cruise effect?
Is it first use throttle 1 to start the motor, then use the switch to switch to using throttle 2? If yes, why the motor will stay at the speed reached by throttle 1? Also, why pressing the brake can cancel the cruise function?

Throttle 2 has no spring.
so when you move the throttle it does not spring back to zero, so it is like a cruse control.

yes the brake lever cuts out the motor...but as soon as you release it, the bike will carry on at the speed set by the left hand throttle.

So you could ride totally on the left throttle, or totally on the right throttle, or start up on the right throttle and then switch to the left...the bike will then run at the speed the left throttle was last set to.

NeilP said:
so when you move the throttle it does not spring back to zero, so it is like a cruse control.

yes the brake lever cuts out the motor...but as soon as you release it, the bike will carry on at the speed set by the left hand throttle.

So you could ride totally on the left throttle, or totally on the right throttle, or start up on the right throttle and then switch to the left...the bike will then run at the speed the left throttle was last set to.

Now I can understand it. Thank you very much NeilP.

You can also buy a 'cruise module' that will do the same thing in a less 'ghetto' fashion. :)

Lyen has them for $19: http://lyen.com/

It has a cruise button to dis- and engage, and + / - buttons to set the speed. I have one at and and can take pictures if you want.

cal3thousand said:
You can also buy a 'cruise module' that will do the same thing in a less 'ghetto' fashion. :)

It has a cruise button to dis- and engage, and + / - buttons to set the speed. I have one at and and can take pictures if you want.

Yes, please show a picture. If possible, please also show the connection method.

tmho said:
Yes, please show a picture. If possible, please also show the connection method.

Already recommended in third post of thread - with picture....
teklektik said:
Take a look at this post for an inexpensive cruise control that will drop out when you hit the brakes. This is compatible with your present throttle. Worst case, you will need to buy one ebrake lever or hidden wire brake sensor.

NeilP said:

That's right. It's very easy to use. You control it with the brake lever. Pull to stop, let go to go. Pedal as much or as little as you want.

cal3thousand said:

I bought it following your suggestion. It is simple and it works great. But can I use the "throttle tamer" (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=51460) together with the cruise control module? If yes, then should the cruise control module be connected on the input or output side of the throttle tamer, or it does not matter? (input side, I mean the side connected to the throttle; output side is the side connected to the controller).

tmho said:
cal3thousand said:

I bought it following your suggestion. It is simple and it works great. But can I use the "throttle tamer" (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=51460) together with the cruise control module? If yes, then should the cruise control module be connected on the input or output side of the throttle tamer, or it does not matter? (input side, I mean the side connected to the throttle; output side is the side connected to the controller).
I got the advice from Edward Lyen that the cruise control can be used together with the tamer, and can be connected on either side.

Back