Stripped gears hubmotor li-x evolution 2500

dawgdare2x

1 mW
all you guys who do forums as a regular thing will probably give me grief, but i can't really figure out how to start a new thread, and this guys problem seemed as close as any, so if i could intrude?...i promise it will be at minimum entertaining for problem solvers-i have a bike called li-x evolution 2500 that came from a company in florida. chinese components, assembled in usa. motor is from unknown manufacturer-model # (?) stamped on motor housing is ED80926861. no other identifying marks i can see. all 3 planetary gears are stripped, thanks to my not knowing what was wrong, & just trying to get myself home.

as close as i can measure and count i see the following...tooth count=30(? obviously) - outside diameter=35mm-thickness=13.5mm-shaft length=27mm-shaft diameter=6.35mm-all of these dimensions are approx. due to wear and tear and lack of micrometer/slide calipers to measure accurately, but....does anybody know a source for nylon gears that fit this description? thanks so much to anybody who might be able to help me!

patrick

Hi. I can't find any details of a bike by that name on the web. If you could post a link to the bike or even a photo of your motor, I can probably point you in the right direction.

motor housing pics 002.jpg

hi daniel-

i'm not sure if i have attached this photo correctly-i have a couple of others i can post if this one goes through. thanks.

patrick

Please provides photos of the motor exterior from both sides and another one of the clutch and gears. The clutch is normally a standard part that is common across a range of motors. The gears are normally 42, 36 or 28 teeth. The 28T ones are for the older motors, and not so easy to find.

ok daniel-are these of any help

Attachments

• Evolution bike image.jpg
    Evolution bike image.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 1,700
  • motor housing pics 001.jpg
    motor housing pics 001.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,700
motor housing pics 3.jpgmotor has not been disassembled completely and i hope to not have to do so, but here is another

d8veh said:
Please provides photos of the motor exterior from both sides and another one of the clutch and gears. The clutch is normally a standard part that is common across a range of motors. The gears are normally 42, 36 or 28 teeth. The 28T ones are for the older motors, and not so easy to find.

d8veh-if any of those tooth counts do apply, i suppose it would be 28t, but...i have counted again and again, and as best i can figure, the count IS 30t. keep in mind my original post-i have no reason to suspect this is a bafang motor.

thanks, patrick

Hmmm... I was kind of hoping it would be one of the more common low-power Bafang hub motors, but I don't instantly recognise it. D8veh is on the mark regarding the usual tooth counts, which I have sourced previously from greenbikekit.com Hopefully somebody will be able to identify the motor before too long.

EDIT: To help with the process of elimination I have taken some measurements of a 36 tooth gear with callipers to the nearest 0.1mm - OD:37.8mm, thickness:10.3mm Bearing ID:8mm. 36 tooth doesn't appear to be what you are looking for.

Based on the removable axle/plate, and some of the rest of it, it looks like the TongXin I have here, except the TX uses rollers rather than gears.

But I don't know what gears this might use.

amberwolf said:
Based on the removable axle/plate, and some of the rest of it, it looks like the TongXin I have here, except the TX uses rollers rather than gears.

But I don't know what gears this might use.

amberwolf-

were you able to view the last photo i uploaded-i don't know if it is actually viewable or not, but it shows the model #(?) in detail-it is ED80926861 and it appears in a straight line on the side of the cover where the planetary gears are. does that model # and location appear similar on the TongXin? thanks to all for trying to help me out.

patrick

danielrlee said:
Hmmm... I was kind of hoping it would be one of the more common low-power Bafang hub motors, but I don't instantly recognise it. D8veh is on the mark regarding the usual tooth counts, which I have sourced previously from greenbikekit.com Hopefully somebody will be able to identify the motor before too long.

EDIT: To help with the process of elimination I have taken some measurements of a 36 tooth gear with callipers to the nearest 0.1mm - OD:37.8mm, thickness:10.3mm Bearing ID:8mm. 36 tooth doesn't appear to be what you are looking for.

daniel-

i really appreciate people that like to help-i hope you are right about somebody identifying the motor soon-i don't understand why the last photo i uploaded does not appear like the others-maybe i tried uploading too many? in any event, i see a notification that the photo has been downloaded 9 times, so i hope this means you and others can see it-i haven't been a user of online forums,so this is all new to me-THANKS!

patrick

It's not a common motor. I think you'll struggle to to find gears for it. It would probably be easier to get a new motor or a new complete motor wheel if you don't know how to lace one.

Is the motor brushed or brushless?

d8veh said:
It's not a common motor. I think you'll struggle to to find gears for it. It would probably be easier to get a new motor or a new complete motor wheel if you don't know how to lace one.

Is the motor brushed or brushless?

d8veh-i assume you were able to view the photo with what i'm calling the model #-i haven't seen another one quite like it despite a lot of searching. the motor is brushless, and after this experience i wish it was gearless.

patrick

As I said, motors aren't expensive. The gears on modern ones are much better. I believe that they did a lot of learning regarding the matrrial that they make them out of. . Don't let your problem put you off replacing it with another geared one.

dawgdare2x said:
were you able to view the last photo i uploaded-i don't know if it is actually viewable or not, but it shows the model #(?) in detail-it is ED80926861 and it appears in a straight line on the side of the cover where the planetary gears are. does that model # and location appear similar on the TongXin?
I don't know, as I don't know where that motor is now, if I even still have it after the house fire and cleanup and thefts by others a couple years ago.

You could look here on ES at the various posts about that type of motor (or the Keyde equivalent), using the Search link on every page. Someone might have pics that show the numbers on those.

But either way, as I said, they use rollers not gears, so it doesn't really help you there.

My best suggestion is to replace the motor with a different kind, and if you use a geared motor to either order a spare set when you order teh motor, if you think you'll put enough of a load on it to have this happen again, or to change to a DD (direct drive) that doesn't use gears.

Using a DD though means potentialy changing your controller and battery to get the same sort of startup and hill torque out of it, as you may need significantly more power to do the same thing the geared motor did, depending on what it was capable of and your local conditions.

FWIW, I have used Fusin's geared motors and they're alright, the newer ones seem to be better than the old (of which I've broken a clutch and stripped teeth on gears), a I haven't damaged the newer version yet despite using it for heavier loads and worse conditions than they advertise it for, on my Delta Tripper, plus around 500 miles before that on a regular bike. The only problem I had with it so far was some broken nipples on the wheel itself, and might've had a broken spoke from poor wheelbuilding at the factory, cant' remember but it's all in the threads about them.

Bafang probably has the best geared motors based on what I've read of others' experiences so far, though I have none with any but the Fusin.

BTW, if you prefer I can move this whole troubleshooting conversation out of the othe member's unrelated-motor thread into one of your own, so you can continue the process there.

amberwolf said:
dawgdare2x said:
were you able to view the last photo i uploaded-i don't know if it is actually viewable or not, but it shows the model #(?) in detail-it is ED80926861 and it appears in a straight line on the side of the cover where the planetary gears are. does that model # and location appear similar on the TongXin?
I don't know, as I don't know where that motor is now, if I even still have it after the house fire and cleanup and thefts by others a couple years ago.

You could look here on ES at the various posts about that type of motor (or the Keyde equivalent), using the Search link on every page. Someone might have pics that show the numbers on those.

But either way, as I said, they use rollers not gears, so it doesn't really help you there.

My best suggestion is to replace the motor with a different kind, and if you use a geared motor to either order a spare set when you order teh motor, if you think you'll put enough of a load on it to have this happen again, or to change to a DD (direct drive) that doesn't use gears.

Using a DD though means potentialy changing your controller and battery to get the same sort of startup and hill torque out of it, as you may need significantly more power to do the same thing the geared motor did, depending on what it was capable of and your local conditions.

FWIW, I have used Fusin's geared motors and they're alright, the newer ones seem to be better than the old (of which I've broken a clutch and stripped teeth on gears), a I haven't damaged the newer version yet despite using it for heavier loads and worse conditions than they advertise it for, on my Delta Tripper, plus around 500 miles before that on a regular bike. The only problem I had with it so far was some broken nipples on the wheel itself, and might've had a broken spoke from poor wheelbuilding at the factory, cant' remember but it's all in the threads about them.

Bafang probably has the best geared motors based on what I've read of others' experiences so far, though I have none with any but the Fusin.

BTW, if you prefer I can move this whole troubleshooting conversation out of the othe member's unrelated-motor thread into one of your own, so you can continue the process there.

amberwolf-

absolutely if you would do that, maybe this thing will get more attention from someone who might know. i am in touch with someone who has the same bike, and i hope the same motor i may be able to rob parts from-stay tuned!

patrick

Done, and retitled. If you prefer a different title, just edit the first post of this thread and type what you want in the Subject line.

I'd replace the whole motor. They're cheap and plentiful using much better build quality in recent years.

IIRC Justin's Outriders are same design/size as the old tongxin. He tested one and tore it down and I had gears, not rollers. You might check the Outrider measurements and compare them to your motor. Outriders are Ebike.ca. I believe he only has front ones, however.
otherDoc

thanks for doing that amberwolf, and docnjoj thanks for the suggestion about ebikes.ca-i have sent them email & hope they'll be able to provide gears that will work or perhaps steer me in the right direction. to those who suggest i replace entire motor, while i can see the sense in that, i've spent a considerable sum on this bike in the past year just to keep it going, & i'm starting to get a little tired of throwing good money after bad. i was thinking if i can just get this bike up and running again with minimal expense, i might be able to sell it and move up to something a bit more durable without breaking the bank.

patrick

to everybody who followed this thread and tried to help-

i was unable to locate new gears anywhere BUT....a friend who had an identical bike with the same motor decided they weren't going to put any more money into repairs, and offered me the gears for free if i would try to sell her brand new 36v 10aH LiFePO4 battery. i installed the new gears today, and though it was a little more work than i anticipated, i think i did it all as it should be done, and i'm up and running again. i'll give the bike a nice long ride tomorrow (scary!) and hope i don't end up having to pedal that heavy thing home again with no motor power. btw, i don't know if it's allowed to offer items for sale on this forum, so i won't mention money, but if it is permitted and anybody needs above mentioned battery, let me know.

thanks again,
patrick

We have a for sale section, if you look at the Board Index it will show you a list of all the sections.

Be sure to read the rules in the Forum Rules and Features section, first, and also the ones in the Items For Sale section you wish to post in.

ok amberwolf-

i'll look into listing it on there later. i'm amazed at how well they build these batteries, or maybe more to the point, how good the battery chemistry is. it sat for many weeks not being used, but when i put it on charger, it fully charged in a little over an hour. i hope to get most of the money she spent on it back for her, as her motor controller went out on her almost immediately after she bought it, and as we all know, batteries aren't cheap.

thanks,
patrick

Back