Smoke came out my battery! help please.Updated/ new question

I have an extra 24 volt battery I got from Cyclone lying around and from time to time I will check the charge state. Well this time when I plugged it into the charger It almost immediately smoke came out the case. I unplugged it right away and placed it out side.

I'm Wondderimg what's the next coarse of action I should take. A little afraid to handle it as smoke from batteries usually is a clear sign of danger.

I am hoping maybe its just the BMS that got fried.

Is it under warranty? If so, check with the vendor first.

If not, no harm in opening it up to see what smoked.

Post detailed pics before opening, and at each stage, and of what the smoked area(s) look like.

amberwolf said:
Is it under warranty? If so, check with the vendor first.

If not, no harm in opening it up to see what smoked.

Post detailed pics before opening, and at each stage, and of what the smoked area(s) look like.

It won't be under warranty. I bought it 2 years ago from sickbikeparts.com. They used it a couple of times and sold it to me cheap. I used it for a summer/winter than upgrades to cellmans 25ah triangle. For the last 8 months it was just sitting and I was checking on it regularly.

Time to get the plastic camping knives out and start operating.

I have a feeling this might be a bms fault you can recover from.

electricbandit said:
I have an extra 24 volt battery I got from Cyclone lying around and from time to time I will check the charge state. Well this time when I plugged it into the charger It almost immediately smoke came out the case. I unplugged it right away and placed it out side.

I'm Wondderimg what's the next coarse of action I should take. A little afraid to handle it as smoke from batteries usually is a clear sign of danger.

I am hoping maybe its just the BMS that got fried.

why would the BMS be fried? did you do something to it?

rather than speculate about things you don't know, why not open the case and look at the battery to see where the smoke came from.

why do you have to jump to conclusions before even looking at what evidence you can obtain just by examination with your eyes.

Electricbandit just take pics and post we will walk you thru it. Do keep it out of the house and garage. A barbeque or something outside for safe keeping.

How about we calm down and act like rational adults.. aka.. don't freak out over a letter not being capitalized.. :lol:

My suggestions:
1) check the voltage of the pack, see if it is within the average range. If a cell went up in smoke, it should be at 0v, possibly dropping your voltage in one go ( 1 cell goes from ~3.6v down to 0v is a dead giveaway )
2) open up the pack and see what is damaged. if no cells are physically damaged, then it's likely your BMS.

I going to try to get to it tonight. I didn't rush into anything last night because the last time smoke came out of a pack on me It kinda well.. Exploded.

I was trying to charge it up fully last night to add to a project I got on the go.

neptronix said:
How about we calm down and act like rational adults.. aka.. don't freak out over a letter not being capitalized.. :lol:

My suggestions:
1) check the voltage of the pack, see if it is within the average range. If a cell went up in smoke, it should be at 0v, possibly dropping your voltage in one go ( 1 cell goes from ~3.6v down to 0v is a dead giveaway )
2) open up the pack and see what is damaged. if no cells are physically damaged, then it's likely your BMS.

Voltage of the pack is sitting at 21.9v. I'm just going to start opening it up here now. I will take pictures thru each step as suggested above.

I think I found the culprit.

Tried posting pics but the are WAY TOO big.

Any ways one of the cells puffed and blew.

New question now tho. How can I charge these individually?
It looks like I'll just replace this cell. All the others tested at 3.1 volts.

can I use my R/c balance charger with Headway cells? I use if for my 18650 cells individually. The charger can do any type of battery. I've just never dealt with Momster sized cells.

You could still have a bad BMS which may have killed the cell which ruptured. That issue should be qualified before spending money on replacement cell. Honestly, at this age of pack, replacing one cell isn't a great idea. Gonna be hard to find a loose cell that will match the characteristics of the remaining cells.

But, even if it appears hopeless, don't toss the pack. The case and BMS (if good?) can likely be used with all new cells. So even if reworking isn't for you, somebody might take the remains off your hands.

Dunno what computer OS you're using but most have simple photo editing. If you can resize images to around 640x480 and reduce image resolution quality to under 120kb, they'll display in ES posts. Much better way to guide you than typing 1000's of strange, unfamiliar words. Apple Mail seems has an image size option when emailing pics - I choose the medium size and those pics paste up here fine once I send them to my computer/self.

And yes, your RC Charger can handle any size cell. Big cells would be very slow but it won't harm anything. I've also hacked Li-ion cell phone battery BMS (3.7V) to use as simple single cell charger for individual balancing.

my 14 cells headways blew up loudly. i dont know what had happened. it could be due to over- charging caused by a bad bms. the sound of blowing each cells like a gun shot. all the cells was very hot , and so hot it melt all the hot glue into liquid. so i cannot do anything except i dump them into trash. that why, i am staying with lipo only.

Ykick said:
You could still have a bad BMS which may have killed the cell which ruptured. That issue should be qualified before spending money on replacement cell. Honestly, at this age of pack, replacing one cell isn't a great idea. Gonna be hard to find a loose cell that will match the characteristics of the remaining cells.

But, even if it appears hopeless, don't toss the pack. The case and BMS (if good?) can likely be used with all new cells. So even if reworking isn't for you, somebody might take the remains off your hands.

Dunno what computer OS you're using but most have simple photo editing. If you can resize images to around 640x480 and reduce image resolution quality to under 120kb, they'll display in ES posts. Much better way to guide you than typing 1000's of strange, unfamiliar words. Apple Mail seems has an image size option when emailing pics - I choose the medium size and those pics paste up here fine once I send them to my computer/self.

And yes, your RC Charger can handle any size cell. Big cells would be very slow but it won't harm anything. I've also hacked Li-ion cell phone battery BMS (3.7V) to use as simple single cell charger for individual balancing.

That's what I thought . I may just keep a couple of cells to use as a power source for my head lights or try to repurpose them as I hate to to throw any thing out I don't need to.

I use android only. I don't own a computer any more. Its my cell or infinity tablet.

Kiriakos GR said:
electricbandit said:
New question now tho. How can I charge these individually?
It looks like I'll just replace this cell. All the others tested at 3.1 volts.

can I use my R/c balance charger with Headway cells? I use if for my 18650 cells individually. The charger can do any type of battery. I've just never dealt with Momster sized cells.

If your charger support Lifepo4 cells, and it model is described as 1S - 6S (or more) then you can do that by setting it accordingly.
If it description is 2S-6S it can not handle a single cell.

Good to know. My charger will do 1- 8 s

kentlim26 said:
my 14 cells headways blew up loudly. i dont know what had happened. it could be due to over- charging caused by a bad bms. the sound of blowing each cells like a gun shot. all the cells was very hot , and so hot it melt all the hot glue into liquid. so i cannot do anything except i dump them into trash. that why, i am staying with lipo only.

Mine didn't make a sound. Just a little amount of smoke. I'm going to stick to cellman's packs now. Very impressed every time I get one from him. My 50v 25ah triangle is my favorite to date.

Back