Charging - Dedicated Charger vs PSU + buck voltage control?

Raged

1 kW
Hi Everyone,

I've got a dedicated charger from em3ev for my 14S lipo pack with BMS (settable 58.8v @ 5A) which works fine. You set the voltage, plug it in and it runs until the voltage is right then stops (the light goes from green to red).

If I wanted a more powerful charger, what is stopping me from using an old server PSU with a 600watt adjustable voltage buck converter to plug into the BMS? Will this have the same effect as the "proper" charger or do I need to add something else to make it turn off automatically? I just assumed that as it is a switching PSU, it will supply as much or as little current as needed ?

Thanks,

Raged

I used a buck/boost supply driven by solar panels to charge my Solar Power Cruiser and never had a problem.

The output voltage remained constant (within .2 V) with input solar panel voltage between 12V and 21V.

If you have real power available on the input side of the DC-to-DC converter, you may want the converter to be constant current / constant voltage so you can limit the current at the beginning of charge and limit the voltage at the end of charge. http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Constant-Current-Converter-Regulated/dp/B00E8D7XYG

Sweet, I actually bought something similar :

DC_DC_Buck_80V.png

$16 delivered as a 2nd fast bulk charger. Theres 2 trimpots, one controls voltage and other looks like it controls current. I think I need a watt meter to put inline to see the volt and amps going to the battery in realtime to see if it's trimming the amps properly at target voltage...

Thanks mate.

Back