How to integrate an RC to throttle my e bike controller

fred184tw

1 µW
Hi all PRO's.

I am building an electric 4 wheel mobility bike for my son, but I want to have control of the bike.
Can anyone teach me how to mod a RC (remote control) to the e-bike controller throttle.

My e-bike controller is a chinese made brushless 36V 350W.

Thanks !

Hi fred184tw
You could use an Arduino to interface between the receiver and the motor controller. The Arduino could read the signal from the RC receiver. The output from an RC receiver is usually a Pulse width that varies from 1000 - 2000 microseconds with the centre being 1500 microseconds. Here is link to some info on reading a RC signal with an Arduino http://www.camelsoftware.com/firetail/blog/radio/reading-pwm-signals-from-a-remote-control-receiver-with-arduino/

You could then use the analogWrite() function to write a value between 0 and 5V to the motor controller. Be aware that you may need a low pass filter (resistor and Capacitor) between the Arduino pin and the motor controller.

there is some info in this thread about the low pass filter http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61004
you will just need to change thin throttle signal on this code to accepet the PWM from the rc reciver instead of a e-bike throttle.

If Electronics aren't your thing, there is an easy mechanical solution too.

An Ebike throttle operates by 2 hall sensors and a magnet. When the throttle isn't turned, the magnet is nearer the off sensor. when you turn it, it gets closer to the on sensor, and the closer it gets, the faster the bike will go.
That should be easy to build with a single servo, a scrap of plastic, and some glue. Glue a magnet to the servo arm, mount the plastic to the top, and glue the sensors to the plastic so the "off" sensor is near the magnet when the throttle is off, and at full throttle, the magnet is near the on sensor.

Close that up in a protective box, and you have a mechanical RC throttle for the bike.

Drunkskunk said:
If Electronics aren't your thing, there is an easy mechanical solution too.

An Ebike throttle operates by 2 hall sensors and a magnet. When the throttle isn't turned, the magnet is nearer the off sensor. when you turn it, it gets closer to the on sensor, and the closer it gets, the faster the bike will go.
That should be easy to build with a single servo, a scrap of plastic, and some glue. Glue a magnet to the servo arm, mount the plastic to the top, and glue the sensors to the plastic so the "off" sensor is near the magnet when the throttle is off, and at full throttle, the magnet is near the on sensor.

Close that up in a protective box, and you have a mechanical RC throttle for the bike.

yes that will work aswell ... :mrgreen:

but e-bike throttles only have 1 hall sensor and 2 magnets, so you would either have to fit the 2 magnets on the servo arm or the hall sensor on the servo arm, it will be more reliable to fix the 2 mags to the arm as you dont have to worry about the wires that is connected to the hall sensor moving when the servo arm is rotating

Um, why not just put the actual ebike throttle in a box with a servo pulling on a tab glued to it (or use a thumb throttle)? Seems a lot simpler, to me. ;)

Back