CA-DP CA-DPS differences

davec

1 kW
apologies if this was already discussed somewhere-
i am simply creating this for a visual reference- hopefully someday this helps someone

CA-DP
with the DP you only have a yellow wire going to SP
from SP the yellow wire goes to pin 5 in the JST-SM connector

View attachment 1

CA-DPS
with the DPS you got the 2 wire speedo cable connected to G and SP
In the photo below the black wire from the speedo goes to G and the white wire from speedo goes to SP

CA-DPS.jpg

MODS(V1 - not tested,V2,V3)

if you have a DP and want a DPS- unsolder the yellow wire- the speedo cable will have 2 wires- solder one to G and the other to SP
if you have a DPS and want a DP - un-solder the 2 speedo wires from G and SP ... solder the yellow cable from the CA cable to SP and set the pole count

Here is something neat you can do with a CA-SA (stand-alone) if you have a controller with a CA connector + direct drive hub with hall sensors
naturally the CA-SA is normally hard wired with a shunt + speedo - there are times where installing a speedo a pain or not possible(on my 1x1 surly fork for example , i could never get proper clearance between magnet and speedo sensor so i needed to go off hall sensor) - in this scenario figure out which wire from speedo goes to SP- cut the speedo cable terminate it with a 6-pin jst-sm connector... run that 1 wire from SP to pin 5 in the jst-sm - it will read the speed off the hall sensor vs the speedo -
Pin 6 can be ignored in this scenario and as long as the CA has the option to set pole counts it should work
In older versions of the CA- the pole only went upto 14... if one has more than 14 the trick is to divide 14 by the amount and multiply the circumference than set this value for wheel size

example(i own a CA-dp ver2.0 so i had to do this):

lets say you have a 9c like i do which has 23 poles in a 26" rim with a 26x2.10 tire(making circum 2060)
14/23 * 2060 = 1254mm
set poles to 14 (which is the max)
set circum to 1254mm
you do not have to do this with newer models 2.2 and up

For troubleshooting purpose- the CA has 3 features, shunt(pin 1 to 4), speed reading off hall sensor(pin 5), and limits via throttle over-ride(pin 6). If one has issue with the CA and throttle over-ride features one can always cut the green wire and bypass that feature.

using the old CA2 with a new controller- i did not have a diode, so the CA was making jerky motion when plugged in. i made a custom cable with pin 6 disconnected and it worked as i did not have time to install the diode.

setting the rshunt value is also simple.. hookup a watts up meter run the motor and compare the amps with the amp reading on the CA and make adjustment.. or go for a ride read the AH off the whats up meter/ and CA compare the 2 and make correction

PIN reference

1 = Vbatt (Red)
2 = Ground (Black)
3 = Shunt - (Blue)
4 = Shunt + (White)
5 = Speed (Yellow)
6 = Throttle Over-ride (Green)

This screen grab is from the CA V3 manual from Teklektik.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=571345#p571345

CA-DP-DPS Diff.JPG

kiwiev said:
Hi

How do you set the pole count I have a DPS but can't use the Speedo off wheel due to reverse forksDHM

Cheers Kiwi

as i`m not sure which version of the CA you have(myself i have v2.0 and it works great) - let me give you a good reference

http://www.ebikes.ca/learn/documents.html -> Installation Guides / Manuals

you have to go into the Advanced Setup Menu - there you can set the poles. i have a 9c 2807 so i set mine to 23

Hi Amberwolf

The lower part of fork moves up inside the upper fork so to get the sensor near the outer edge of wheel there it slides into the upper fork when you hit a big bump and miss aligning the magnet.

I will try and post a pick.

So that's why I what to pick of hub motor for speed

Cheers kiwi

Ok

When I set it up with wheel diameter the speed was like 10 times more than I was doing and kept shutting throttle off at 99kph

That's why took magnetic off.

I just thought it was suppose to be on outer wheel do you have a link to the thread

Thanks heaps kiwi

Hey Amberwolf

I got the speedo going change pole count to 23

And have a speed of 87kph off ground and 70kph riding

thanks for your help

now just having trouble with shunt value as Infineon controller is 0.7 mohm and that means I have operate in high range in advance menu but when I do this the most amps I draw is 29amps and I know this isn't right.

Any help would be great.

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_2030.JPG
    IMG_2030.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,856
Hey Amber

Yes I have to controllers 1 was 0.7 and 1 was .701 but all my other controllers "Lyen" have been 1.333 or close I still cant get an accurate reading :?

Cheers Kiwi

Back