Yescom conversion basic install

chasindayton

10 mW
My Yescom install has commenced. Once I decided that I'm not crazy and the Yescom conversion kit (48v 1000w rear) isn't a 1-hour universal everything-you-need kit, I resigned myself to scrounging and begging tool-savvy types to help me craft the needed spacers and adapters (including a moon-shaped washer good grief). My initial self-doubt / panic has resolved itself to something closer to my normal level of incompetence.

At this juncture, I am faced with abandoning the PAS, because the Schwinn cruiser I'm working with has the old style elbow crank (see photo.) However, this must be a relatively common conflict (though my search terms yield nothing here yet.) Has anyone devised a simple solution to getting the PAS working with these cranks?

And, can anybody link me to a basic "this is what you will probably deal with" photo essay on working with these conversion kits? The Chinglish Yescom "instructions" with low-res illustrations is almost useless.

Thanks--Chas

Attachments

• junk crank.jpg
    junk crank.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,336
Search for early posts by Wesenwel, or is it two ll's. He's our resident expert on the yes kits.

Mostly it's just stack on enough washers to have room for the motor, nothing rubbing. Steel frame I assume, bend it wider if you have to. No big deal.

Dump the PAS idea, throttle control results in a much better ride.

If you weld, see this thread for some Schwinn cruiser modification ideas. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67049

Disk brakes on the front a really big improvement, and not that hard to do if you weld.

Thanks Dan!

The Yescom kit description said "disk front wheel only" so I was surprised to have a disk with my rear wheel kit. Unfortunately welding is beyond the scope of my incompetence.

There is an obstruction at the axle nut, from the mount for the derailleur, thus I need modified washers.

Back to work!

Chas

Wesenwel or Wesenwell, no author search results.

First (late night) test--wow!! I can't believe the acceleration, wonderful. Twist throttle seems to be on or off only, annoying if that is the case; I don't have PAS. I guess I would just dial my desired cruise speed into the LCD.

NO SPEEDOMETER function, or probably odometer either (though I only went a couple blocks.) Any Yescom LCD kit advice out there?

Thanks--Chas

chasindayton said:
Wesenwel or Wesenwell, no author search results.
wesnewell . Or wesnewell jam nut axle as search terms. Not that you may necessarily need a jam nut but he uses one for installation.

Hope you'll post photos when done. Cruisers look nice.

I'm not sure what anyone wants with me. All these problems would be the same for any kit. Nothing here looks specific to the yescom kit.

We are now the proud parents of two ebikes, a cruiser and a suspension comfort bike. The cruiser has a one-piece crank, so no PAS until I get some machine shop time.

The comfort bike had a crank that just wouldn't loosen, and I had to turn it over to a bike shop to get the crank off for PAS installation. After all that, my PAS won't kick in! P3 setting 0 or 1, no difference. Grey wires connected or not, no difference. Hand throttle does 25mph, but PAS never kicks in. PAS plug is definitely plugged in, and the magnets are about 1/16" off of the Hall effect sensor. I don't get it--grr.

The "large bearing" one-piece crank found on many affordable cruiser frames is sometimes called an Ashtabula (I don't know why). There are several places that sell an adapter ($20?) that allows the common 3-piece crankset to be used, which should allow your PAS to be fitted. Of course, there may be other challenges that arise along the way, but...I think that this part might do it. I don't know which company would have the best adapter for your frame...do some research.

http://www.bicycle-engines.com/1pc-to-3pc-Wide-Crank-Conversion-Kit.html
12141.jpg

Back