Yescom\xcceries 800w/36v rear new install, details, questio

Yescom\xcceries 800w/36v rear new install

800w/36v rear new installation in 1997 GT Talera steel frame mountain bike.

SUMMARIZED ORIGINAL POST IN EDITS see later posts for thrilling conclusion

This package sits in the middle of the $175-$240 price range for entry level 500-1000w kits.
I paid $214, and a week later they listed it for $202 free shipping on both.
from
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36V800W-26-Rear-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-Kit-PAS-Cycling-Hub-Conversion-Kit
Xcceries is a US vendor for http://www.cnebikes.com/index.asp in LA
It required special tools and expertise or assistance to install. None of the stuff is particularly expensive, but but adds up and then the "cheap" kit is much less cheap.

There is probably better value in the kits at the ends of their price range.
The Accessories likely not to be used for long, but are decent.
Bag is 8x8x16 and, uh, patulous.
Rack stout, but heavy.
Several vendors carry near identical kids, presumably sort of an importer's package from larger interest. (CNEbikes)
As I perused components, it looks like packing up kits like this is a common business . Think Michael Dell and his dorm room 1985.

Prior (old ringstyle) motors looked like Conhismotor, this motor case style is not on their site and looks like a 9continent.
again ,Yescomusa/Xceceries is a vendor not a brand .

Other than the Kv it is hard to get information that differentiates between the different motors that are carried.
What they use to determine motor wattage is unclear , and I know to be a subject of lively debate.
Again other than Kv I am not sure what the difference is between their 500, 800, and1000 W motors.
I guess it takes a watt meter to really get anything useful.

IS this only a reflection of the controller rating. (?)

It was well packed, well presented in the box.
Controller was connected to peripherals which assisted orientation in install, which was mostly straightforward.
Documentation the same as available online, a vague cartoon book with lots of misspellings and Chinglish grammar.
No spec sheet. features like PAS take some serious sleuthing to understand.
Controller wiring pic did not show my version

Generally I started out impressed by the product.

CONCERNS WITH THE INITIAL INSTALL:

Wheel was very round and true. Had a nice rim strip in place.
12Ga Spokes were quite unevenly tensioned, many frankly loose, and the heads would rotate in the hub holes.
Thin hub flanges need spoke washer, big time, to support the spoke. After a short ride the wheel wobbled , popped and whined from loose spokes.
Hub was not dished and had a 10 mm offset towards non-drive side, a problem for my rim brakes.

Drive side spokes took 3 1/2 full turns to tension and dish, fortunately they had threads available to use.
In fact on inspection the spokes were not deep in the nipples, many had threads showing from the hub side of the nipple.
Marked nipple to spoke angulation is common on my wheel.
It uses 160mm 12ga black spokes, which may be hard to source, if they break.
PLAN ON DISHING AND SPOKE ADJUSTMENT. REQUIRES 12GA (0.156 in) SPOKE wrench, which is not commonly available locally.
This is not just tightening a few spokes.

PAS/Cruise not well documented with SAFETY ISSUE see below

The hub did not have tubular axle spacers similar to those shown in wesnewell's pictures,
though this may be a function of the 1000W hub or conhismotor looking ringed units.
132.9 OLD fit dropouts well, a basic WIDTH.
BUT long offset for hub disc mount rules out unmodified use of even a140mm disc, due to lack of frame clearance in my install.
Would require spreading frame substantially to fit a rear disc.
Rim is rim brake compatable.

ALSO Drive side had a washer keyed for the axle that was inboard of the "Torque/tab washer”
The keyed washer is sort of like a C-washer but without a cutout.
This required removal of the hall sensor plug to replace on the outside of the torque/tab washer. This was not easy , as the parts are fragile (plug , pins, wires, all)
Placing these washers inboard of the dropout would also require spreading of the chain stays, though minimally.
Wesnewel ,who runs more powerful overvolting, spreads the frame and uses inboard lock nuts,
rather than the shallow axle shelf to anchor the axle, and dispenses with torque arms as an option.

This might be a bigger issue if not addressed.
My impression is the tabbed/torque washer needs to be tight and in place, and no inboard washer is required.

Freewheel is as loud as the motor) ,coarse, a bit more play than it needs , but probably within spec.
Mine needed a spacer to allow rear derailleur to clear the hub motor body.
This was problematic as Freewheel tools to fit the oversize axle are a special order or require drilling out a tools steel standard tool.

Make sure your dropout is deep enough to seat the 14mm axle properly.
If you need to file the dropout a bit to go deeper, go slowly to insure a snug fit.
A loose dropout will cause big problems later.
Mine required filing to seat fully.

TOOLS NEEDED : 21mm wrench,
12ga Spokewrench, truingstand, or substitute.
Ability to dish , true and tension a wheel.
Freewheel tool for 14mm axle,
files round and flat for dropouts,
crank puller for PAS, glue for PAS hall sensor attachment,
jewelers screwdrivers and very fine hemostats for hall wire plug pin removal

DETAILS of kit
Controller : KW36ZWSM, 26 amp, 36v, min volt 30~1 152mmx83mmx40mm
?http://www.szktdz.com/en/news_show.php?article_id=352 12FET
has several plugs unused by the system that I would like to see if they can be used for other features.
Manual has plug outs that don't correspond to controller. Wiring diagram is unavailable.
?? I was unable to determine if the LCD model controller fails, if not connected to LCD, or is that just an impression given by the conhismotor controller page. ?
It is needed for initial set up

PAS 5 magnets, with remote “cruise control” speed adjuster, generic looks like the conhismotor pack
I have the "Cruise control / 5 speed" "Normal" set up ( called non LED/LCD in the worthless chinglish comic book they call a manual).
PROBLEM: the Hall on the PAS sensor is directional, set for drive side. Didn't work until I pedaled backwards.
Not a biggie to remedy , but a bit of extra work, and could create an unpleasant or dangerous surprise if it triggered unexpectedly.

PAS switch is a pretty horrid piece of tack. Useless to DANGEROUS
separate switch version ,not LCD

Poor indicator LED to indicate off/on status, and degree of PAS,
Dim, nearly imposible to see in any daylight.
Poor tactile feel in the buttons controlling the PAS and "Cruise", VERY POOR INSTRUCTIONS on how the function works in manual
BIG RISK of non intentional acceleration (?made by Toyota perhaps?) from Cruise and PAS
MAKES installing the brake switch essential as a safety
CRUISE ? some controllers will activate this when speed held constant. PAS/Cuise WILL work without brake cut off installed.
Neither function works if PAS sensor not installed. Brakes cut off Cruise but NOT PAS. PAS May kick in unexpectedly.
WITHOUT BRAKE LEVER CUTOFFS, CRUISE NEEDS TO BE CUT AT MAIN SWITCH, THE MEMBRANE CRUISE SWITCH OR BY DISCONNECTING BATTERY
I see this as a problem in an emergency.
Cruise needs to have motor turning under power to activate . May kick in unexpectedly.
PAS up/down buttons change function under Cruise to speed controls.
PAS is active if wired in. If cruise is turned off, PAS STILL ACTIVE. May kick in unexpectedly.

I am unsure if the pas/cruise interacts with the thumb throttle, which is notchy and difficult to modulate.

Sad, because I like pedaling with low power PAS. Useful to get a sense of what I would like in a PAS system, but not a keeper.
I have come to the conclusion that the LED/LCD is a much better option and essential for safety and the controller will work if the display fails
though this NEEDS to be documented, some say yes, some say a functioning displays needed on these.
I FEEL THE PAS/CRUISE onthr "NORMAL"model controller PRESENTS A SAFETY ISSUE.

Tire 1.75x26 Jiluer tire, richly aromatic (Don't keep near anyone who is intolerant of petro smell), rim ext width 31mm,Int width 25mm, rec pressure 45 psi
Decent tire

Brake levers: Wuxing,
Fuse looks solid 30A with spare ? Complaints in other postings , perhaps another type referred to.
Generic thumb throttle with off/on switch and meager LED battery meter.

An alibaba source for this kit appears to be cnebikes.com, but it is hard to get a good ID on these kits.
site info on the kits appears to have disappeared
I haven't been able to track a manufacturer or specs.
Alternate parts have been impossible for me to locate (PAS/Cruise switch, controller wire description)

I contacted the vendor over several issues. They pick up the phone, and are very pleasant, asked for pictures (of loose spokes?!) before they would do anything. (done)
They are not good about calling back or answered emails.
( 1 call after 6 We'll call backs/contact you)
Of note , with more substantial/immediate problems like failures , I and others have reported a good response from them.
Quite good in fact

Some of my install problems were fixed with several hours of work from me
(wheel truing, tensioning, plug rewiring, and I just can't use my lowest sprocket gear until I replace the Shimano 200GS RD or get tool for spacer)
I don't trust the durability of the factory wheel build and will try to source spare spokes.
Replacing the rim appears to be common, and is about a $80 parts plus labor (~$40)

I set up a cycle meter for RPM and the hub does 395rpm at ~40 v, unloaded

Max speed by my GPS is 30.36 MPH with light pedaling, mostly spinning the pedals out.
More likely 24-26 on level smooth which is fine for me using 2 Zippy 5000mAhr 5S in series,
I'm getting 15 miles with PAS at avg 10 mph

All in all I am satisfied, but wheel build was poor and I anticipate problems with the spokes.
Again, I FEEL THE non LCD PAS/CRUISE PRESENTS A SAFETY ISSUE.

Yescomusa/xcceries' advantage over pig-in-a-poke generic kits is their presence in US (LA suburb),
but their major sales appear to be 90+% non ebike stuff.
look at their feedback on EBAY (good).
Provided very responsive service with my problems

Other similarly priced kits may be no different.
A good starter kit, but requires some advanced skills in installation and operation.

Thanks to all on ES for the help below and elsewhere.

onemorejoltwarden said:
? any tips on the axle washer configuration

I doubt you need them the washers so long as the spacing is right, but I don't know for sure. What torque arm are you using? I recommend doctorbass torque arms. https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=29129

onemorejoltwarden said:
? differences in the motor builds 500,800,1000

Very likely the controller as you guess.

onemorejoltwarden said:
? wheel durability

Probably garbage, as generally all prebuilt wheels are that come with hub motors. 12ga spokes are wildly too thick. Spokes need to stretch to help keep tension. A bicycle rim cannot accomodate the torque needed to stretch a 12ga spoke. The spokes are probably garbage to begin with, but what tension is applied is likely to be lost pretty quickly. The wheel will lose it's true and the spokes will get loose, eventually breaking. I suggest rebuilding with something like 13/14 spokes.

onemorejoltwarden said:
? source of Freewheel tool with correct axle bore size?

Not all freewheels use the same size tool. http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=41&product_id=100 But this one might work.

Thanks
alibaba source for theses kits appears to be cnebikes.com
haven't been able to track a manufacturer or specs

I am only using the keyed / tabbed washers, so far, not using arms, though it sounds appropriate.
steel frame rear, still. The DrBass glueons really work? would be interesting to see if they were tested like Justin's were.

Ebikesca appears the only domestic source for the freewheel tool I could find
unless I can put ups bigger order from e3mv

gonna need a bigger spoke wrench too

will watch wheels, and plan rebuild at first singn
12ga spokes use bigger hub and rim holes, and I am not sure what all will fit
I have a hub here with 4mm hub spoke holes, that are larger than the heads on 14 ga spokes
if the 13/14 single butted fit, I'm good

did 26mph on first run w my 5ah 10s zippy20c pack

http://www.ebikekit.com/kit-components/small-parts/tools/

But this one cheaper, and closer to you.

http://www.electricrider.com/bicycle-maintenance-tools-s/1863.htm

Lastly, you can just drill out one you get at your local bike shop.

I have about 20 miles on it in two street rides. max speed by GPS is 30.36 MPH with light pedal mostly spinning the pedals out.
more likely 24-26 on level smooth which is fine for me on 1997 GT Talera, 5ah 10S 2S1P Zippys

Some problems after the second ride

Almost all spokes on drive side are loose and can pivot spoke heads freely . They do not rest on the flange when seated.
Wheel flexes 1/4" plus with moderate finger pressure
Spokes are howling

Lack of dish (~10mm to nondrive side) makes it hard to get my cantilever brakes adjusted and it is aggravated by wheel flex (pulses)
Spokes appear deeply seated in nipples, I am unsure how much thread I am going to need and fear they may be too long to get
adjustment in

Freewheel drags, loud as a castanet

Wheel drags and I am unsure if it is drive side bearing , freewheel in conjunction with the native drag of the motor.
Takes 175 -225 grams of force to turn wheel measured at spoke, and bearing seems to be clicking,
though the freewheel makes so much noise, it is hard to precisely localize.

Spacing of 6 speed freewheel is inadequate for clearance of Shimano GS200 Rear derailleur to shift to large cog. ? spacer needed.

Torque washers on wrong side of other "keyed washer, so I will have to remove hall sensor plug if they are to be used on both sides.

Special tools needed , 12ga capable spoke wrench and Freewheel tool with 14+mm hole, if there is anything I can do

I am contacting the vendor to see what they recommend. ANY suggestions?
I still have the box.

Centering my Yescomusa 800w 36v wheel was a bit of a chore.
When I needed to, I slipped the pins from the connector to change the way the tab-washers fit then reinserted the pins in place.

The spokes might need to be tightened. On my first Yescomusa wheel once I tightened the spokes they never got loose again. Over 7000 miles on that motor now. A 12mm spoke wrench should do the job. I recommend truing it to your specs cupped or otherwise. Most LBS's won't be able to do it for you due to 14mm axle. Something new to learn I guess.....

I also replaced the cassette on my wheel. I used a deep cassette removal tool (about 43mm long) I bought on the internet. Something like the "DNP Epoch Freewheel Remover" or "Dimension Freewheel Remover" They work up to 14m shafts.

http://www.bikeman.com/TL4620.html

http://www.bikewagon.com/dimension-...&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CO7akNWlpMUCFYM8gQodZisAFA

Make sure your dropout is deep enough to seat the 14mm axle properly. If you need to file the dropout a bit to go deeper, go slowly to insure a very tight fit. A loose dropout will cause big problems later.

Doctorbass makes high quality dropouts, just make sure they are not too thick for your application, and that they will fit flat enough to your dropout so you can epoxy and/or bolt it to your frame.
There are other venders out there including Grin Tech
http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/torque-arms.html

Got any pictures of your bike? 640x480 (vga) jpgs post easily around here.

:D

Spacing of 6 speed freewheel is inadequate for clearance of Shimano GS200 Rear derailleur to shift to large cog. ? spacer needed.
With the motor, you should never need the large sprockets. Most of us only use the smaller 3 or 4 gears.

Special tools needed , 12ga capable spoke wrench and Freewheel tool with 14+mm hole, if there is anything I can do
The universal spoke and free wheel scocket wrench are avail. on Ebay. Don't try and drill the center hole on the FW tool if needed. "Hog" it out with a conical stone on a drill motor, because the material is very hard.

I don't use that kit, but if you are already thinking about replacing the spokes, I would just go ahead with wider Alex DM 24 rims with DT Swiss 14 Ga. or Sapim butted 13/14g spokes. Then wider tires could be mounted and the ride and stability would be better at the plus 25 mph speeds. None of the stuff is particularly expensive, but ut adds up and then the "cheap" kit is no longer so cheap.

DNP "Enoch" free wheels, while not being great, are the best you can get and avail. from a number of vendors. Get the 7-speed to match your chain and your shifting problems will probably disappear.

I am of the belief that Yescom understands that a lot of different bike frames exist so the do something generic that can be lightly modified.

OK, I just took a good look at my Yescomusa 800w 36v rear setup to remember what I did and it too is a bit out of center. The problem with cupping it is that the rim and motor are about the same width so the ratio for a "cup" is smaller then a normal hub to rim ratio.

My stock spokes have been fine. I have a 7 gear cassette with a small spacer between the sleeve and the dropout.

DO NOT CUT THE STOCK SLEEVE WITHOUT MAKING SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH LEFT TO COVER THE THICKNESS OF THE INTERIOR AXLE!

Sprokets and Spacer.JPG

I made that mistake an had to use a piece of copper tube to replace the stock sleeve because I cut it too short. At the moment the copper sleeve is about 4mm too long, so when I cut it again the whole setup will be about 5mm off center. If I decide to do a minor cupping then it will be very close to center.

On the other hand, wesnewell has used a jam nut for thousands of miles and probably has other good suggestions that are pertinent to your questions.

I suggest you PM wesnewelll and ask him if he would like to post.

Thanks much for suggestions

the basic hub and install were fine. I knew the wheel build wasn't going to be great, but this one isn't ridable.
It is totally round and true, so it probably is a machine build that wasn't at all looked at for tensioning.

I appreciate the freewheel tool tips, the cost of a drill bit and trying to bore hardened tool steel doesn't sound like the best use of time.
ebike kit and ebikeca have them for ~$12-18 plus shipping
The delay in getting this and 12ga spoke wrench are points of chagrin. Waiting for tools offsets their rapid shipping and savings.

??! spokes are 3.93-4.04mm across flats. Spoke wrenches appear in sizes 11=4.4mm, 12=3.76mm, 13=3.7mm and a 4.4 is pretty loose by my micrometer
0.1559 to 0.1586 with Park Blue at 0.156.? anyone with spoke wrench fit advice. ? can the nipples be that variable.

If I thought I would have to build a new wheel on it upfront, I would have just ordered a bare hub motor.

getting the hall plug off and back shouldn't be a big project, but shouldn't have been needed

My problems appear more logistical than technical, still not a starter kit for noob install.
The fact that the rim and hub are narrow with limited room for dishing,
and the spokes appear too long, almost bottomed , may make spoke tensioning and dishing impossible with this wheel and spoke combination.

Of note, the hub spacer e-beach had to trim isn't used on my 800w/36v. I had 132.9mm OLD on the hub.
I have 7.25 mm between freewheel gear cluster and motor
Of note I also have only 10.8mm of depthfrom dropout to mount a disc on the nondrive side, so its a nonstarter on frame for a 160 or even a 140mm disc
without a frame spread, which would dedicate the bike to this hub.

My clearance problem is on the inboard big gear, which IS useful for humbly returning home when I miscalculate, and shouldn't rub regardless.
I was looking to see if spacers were often needed, and available or it was an isolated issue.

Yescomusa has a good reputation for follow up,and I am awaiting their suggestions, as this may have just been one that slipped by.

Thanks again

onemorejoltwarden said:
.......but this one isn't ridable.
It is totally round and true, so it probably is a machine build that wasn't at all looked at for tensioning.

If it is round and true...how is it not ridable?

onemorejoltwarden said:
The delay in getting this and 12ga spoke wrench are points of chagrin. Waiting for tools offsets their rapid shipping and savings.

your local bike shop should have a 12mm spoke wrench on the shelf.

onemorejoltwarden said:
getting the hall plug off and back shouldn't be a big project, but shouldn't have been needed

Use a small jewelers screw driver to gently depress the locking tabs down to slip out the connectors. Make sure the tab is extended enough before you replace the individual connectors so they lock in place properly. MAKE SURE THEY return INTO THE PROPER SLOTS OR YOUR MOTOR WILL NOT RUN PROPERLY. The color coding on the opposite connector will tell you where they go.

Thanks
I appreciate your note
with that much wheel flex laterally and loose spokes, I don't think it should be ridden until repaired.
What IS odd is how it is true , unloaded, but flexes all over the place with very little lateral force.

Makes a lot of popping/Pinging when it is ridden, so needs a bit of attention. Spokes break when loose, and black 12's are hard to find.

The loose and undished wheel is also flexed laterally by the brakes , which I haven't seen on a proper tensioned, dished wheel
12 ga spoke wrenches (?12mm :), no) are not a common stock and they measure tight (0.156, with nipples measured at 0.159) , so I would like to make sure I get something that fits.
The nipples may be an odd size or the spoke wrench dimensions they give may be workable. The numbers aren't jiving and making me move cautiously, but Park Blue wrench may fit. I hate buying wrong tools.

I can true and tighten, that's just maintenance, but need a spoke wrench that fits, and as I said, I am not sure I have enough thread on the spokes to get the tension and dish where they need to be. I don't think it needs to go back, but this is a bit more than a simple 30 min install.

The hall plugs should go on and off OK. A neat trick I saw referenced was writing the wire color on the plug with a Sharpie to help get them back together in the right slots. I just think that having to do that is not a sign of good QC. Odd mix of quality and slack.

? were you to spin your rear wheel off the ground, how long would it take to stop? I know the magnets have a bit of resistance, and mine when spun by hand won't go a full revolution, and when spun with the crank, go maybe twice around.
My other bike has a geared motor and freewheels, so I don't have a reference. The hub clatters such that I can't tell if the hub bearings are happy.
It maybe in spec , but the wheel build issue is pushing me to be a bit more scrutinous before clearing it.

oops sent twice

My bad ....12 guage..... :oops: ....

This tool works for me. I marked the inside 12 with black so I could easily find it while working.
Spoke tool 1.JPG
Spoke tool 2.JPG

My rear wheel doesn't spin too many times around if I spin it by hand. With it fully installed and power on it will spin less.

great
those are inexpensive and not too hard to find.

Good to know it fits. Thanks for the pic

Thanks for the wheel spin check. Seems to be in spec.

I set up a cycle meter for RPM and the hub does 395rpm at ~40 v
which makes same wonder if it's not a Conhismotor
given their stat sheet w same Kv
http://conhismotor.com/ProductShow.asp?id=89
? maybe the ones with the silver bands are the ones with that tubular spacer on the axle?
rather than the 1000w ones. Your copper tube replacement is good to keep in mind. Does it not deform though?
I like Wes's use of an inner jam nut inside the drop out, as mine just has a thin shouldered machined flat on the axle

I summarized the original post as an edit at the top.

took the wheel off, tire off
spokes were loose with threads showing on hub side of nipple, deep in nipple when viewed from rim
lateral rim side play 10mm

Was able to get it dished and centered, tensioned and true.

Hall plug removal took a fine hemostat and is pretty fragile with fragile thin solid wires
Got torque washer seated in dropout slot

I have never been given a wheel that sloppy. Without truing and tensing the spokes wouldn't stand a chance at lasting long
160 mm black Single butted 12ga are not floor stock at LBS
I am still concerned about the angle many of the spokes are at at the nipple , and the gap between spoke shaft and flange.

Not trying to whine or belabor this, just a heads up on my experience for anyone looking at this kit.
Just caveats as to installation issues. Not plug and play. Nothing that says it isn't typical of kits at its price point.
Replacing the spokes and possible cost of professional truing , tools, hassle need to be factored in.
Fixed it looks good. Runs well. Yescom folks answer the phone, are nice , but haven't followed up over a week with any response.
Others have spoken well of them responding and fixing more substantial problems.

onemorejoltwarden said:
Yescom\xcceries 800w/36v rear new install

Other than the Kv it is hard to get information that differentiates between the different motors that are carried.
What they use to determine motor wattage is unclear , and I know to be a subject of lively debate.
Again other than Kv I am not sure what the difference is between their 500, 800, and1000 W motors
IS this only a reflection of the controller rating. (?)

Thanks for posting. I just purchased the 48V 1000W kit. I don't imagine that the motors are identical between these kits, but that something i was wondering. I know that electric motors should be operated within the nameplate range. Im guessing there isn't a nameplate on these motors. I'll try and get some info about my kit when it gets here.

Cheers

as close as I have to a serial#, or spec is an "800 watt" green sticker on the hub

hmm mine has 48V 1000W engraved into the chrome section on the outmost hub.

Electric motors definitely like to be operated in their range.

a good article on it..

http://ecmweb.com/design/highs-and-lows-motor-voltage

I just installed mine today. I noticed that i didnt have the problem with the washers being installed incorrectly, because I didnt have to remove the hall plug. Thanks for your writeup it helped for my install. I did install that rack.. what a pile and its super heavy. I'm sure i'll pop wheelies pretty easily!

what type of battery are you using?

I have a pack of Zippy 20C lipo 10S2P. 4 10s packs at $42/EA, and scalable if I want to try higher voltage
I have been trying to match my motor to the ones in the ebikesca MotorSimulator
but for the life of me can't determine what features they use to define a wattage
I'm looking for motor wind, resistance or phase wiring but nobody gets that out there.
using the MotorSimulator, my 800/36v seems to perform like a Crystalite H3540,
using the 25 am controller setting , and my no load speed of 395.

Is yours an all black or a "silver striped" motor?
that may be a different mfr (conhis or 9cont look like the two, but that is only a hunch)
Tube spacer on yours ? My hunch is that is either 1000w feature or striped motor feature

No notes hint whether the the keyed washer should be inside the dropouts or out board to the torque washer.
It sure shouldn't be between the torque washer and the dropout

onemorejoltwarden said:
I have a pack of Zippy 20C lipo 10S2P. 4 10s packs at $42/EA, and scalable if I want to try higher voltage
but for the life of me can't determine what features they use to define a wattage
I'm looking for motor wind, resistance or phase wiring but nobody gets that out there.
using the MotorSimulator, my 800/36v seems to perform like a Crystalite H3540,
using the 25 am controller setting , and my no load speed of 395.

If it helps, your motor is probably a slow wind motor. Last time I opened my 36v rear motor I believe I counted 7 turns.

Both mine are sliver striped

No notes hint whether the the keyed washer should be inside the dropouts or out board to the torque washer.

Having the key inside the dropout is a Chinese sort of a torque arm type of a thought. I have mine inside the dropouts, but only relay on them as spacers.

onemorejoltwarden said:

that may be a different mfr (conhis or 9cont look like the two, but that is only a hunch)
Tube spacer on yours ? My hunch is that is either 1000w feature or striped motor feature

not positive on the ebikes plot. they are plotting two types of power. electrical and motor. the electrical power is simple it seems P= IV

the motor power is more mechanical as it relates to torque and wheel speed. Then they spew out an efficiency rating. kind of nifty i suppose. I think you are concerned with electrical power since you're talking about the battery.

my kit has the silver striped and has the tube spacer.

Do you have any pictures? Im not sure what the difference between keyed washer, torque washer? My kit had pictures and that the orientation i put them in. But yeah, it didn't too nicely, but it does the job im hoping.

The thing I am calling a slotted washer (Because I haven't found its proper name) has flats in the center hole, and is shaped to fit the axle, like the torque washer, which has a tab that fits the dropout. I think it helps get the 21mm retaining nut over the "lawyers lips" on the front dropouts and keeps rotational force from the retaining nut off of the torque washer when used in the back.

I question if it has a role on the inboard side of the drop out so the shoulder of the axle flat and the drop out have a squared surface to mate on securely.
I could see a rounded drop out and shallow shoulder being a problem. Would add an extra 3-4 mm of spread to what may already be a tight drop out OLD match.
I want to be able to put the old wheel back on and spreading the stays is not attractive to me.

I Twisted a $3.99 crank puller to scrap and had to buy a real one, but got my PAS up and running.
I have the "Cruise control / 5 speed" "Normal" set up ( called non LED/LCD in the worthless chinglish comic book they call a manual).
PROBLEM: the Hall sensors on the PAS sensor are directional, didn't work until I pedaled backwards. Not a biggie to remedy , but a bit of extra work, and could create an unpleasant or dangerous surprise if it triggered unexpectedly.

Pretty horrid piece of tack. Useless to DANGEROUS

Poor indicator LED to indicate off/on status, and degree of PAS,
PAS CANNOT BE TURNED OFF, ONLY DISCONNECTED AT CONTROLLER
Dim indicator light near imposible to see in any daylight
? 4 flashes of LED when motor on switch activated -> means what???
Poor tactile feel in the membrane buttons controlling the PAS and "Cruise", VAGUE INSTRUCTIONS
BIG RISK of non intentional acceleration (?made by Toyota perhaps?) from Cruise and PAS
MAKES installing the brake switch essential as a safety feature.

I am unsure if it interacts with the thumb throttle, which is notchy and difficult to modulate.

Sad because I like pedaling with low power PAS. Useful to get a sense of what I would like in a PAS system.
I have come to the conclusion that the LED/LCD is a much better option and essential for safety (more certain , no fiddling while trying to ride)
and the controller will work if the display fails (??not sure if true, may be needed for set up at the least??)
I have feedback that it may serve as an off on switch and be needed, not clear as to model of display and controller.

PAS improves range profoundly and with the bigger motors, harmonizing them with pedaling is a bigger challenge than on the lower powered motors.

I am getting a better sense of being able to read a motor.
Watts have been a crazy unit since 1781 when James Watt was trying to figure how to market and bill for his contraptions.
The curves from the MOTOR SIMULATOR make better sense to define the differences, I just need a watt meter/CA to get all the data to use it.
Yeah, Electric power in vs mechanical power out ( difference being efficiency and heat generation) is not part of the no name guys marketing plan.
any more than telling you what the controller does.

One of the interesting issues that I see lurking is the liability issue in this being >750w should an injury occur and one is charged by an injured party of having an illegal bike, or has insurance coverage denied over such an allegation. The law sez 750 watts of sumptin is the max. Hmmm.

I'm sorry to go on so long on this, though this has been a running commentary on my progress with this kit.
This may well be the last of my posts in this thread because I'm going to send it back.

The Controller died after about 30 miles of use at 4 weeks of light use.

I finally got the PAS/cruise system acceptably sorted out, though my impressions from the previous post are not changed.

On a flat trail a mile and a half from the house, with five amp hours of 10S lipo at 40v, at about 8 miles an hour,
the motor groaned and felt like it was running with the brakes on.
Controller was hot, motor was not and it was unresponsive to throttle.

I was able to pedal home in low gear with the motor dragging.
On the stand, the motor had notchey drag, which went away when the controller phase leads were disconnected.
Consistent with phase leads shorting out in the controller.
All other wiring appeared to be intact and the on off switch lit up

The people at Yescom tech-support were called for what is now my fifth contact.
Three of those calls were asking if they had a response yet.
They at first denied receipt of the videos and photos that I had sent, but were able to find them.
They have been very graceful and accessible and have articulate people answering the phone,
though they have little to offer in the way of actual technical support other than parts replacement and refund.

My decision was mostly based on the fact that I still am unable to get from them any actual technical specs.
They do not sell replacement parts and without a definition of what the system requires, I find the ability
to source replacement parts to be beyond my capacity at this point.
Same situation with all the generic kits.
It appears that many of the strong supporters of the kits have replaced the rims, spokes and controller.

Had the controller not failed and left me with further troubleshooting tasks,
it may have been an acceptable kit with the removal of the PAS/Criuse.

I need something simpler at this stage with one simple problem at a time.
Back to the Bafang 250w BSO, for now. It runs.
Smart enough to find the problems
Need to be smarter to fix 'em.
Getting there
Know more about what to look for

If you want to go to 48V, I've got a 3 year old 48V controller that's never been used you can have. It doesn't use the LCD display. Not sure if it's wired for PAS, but you can have it for a knock on the door. You'll need 12s lipo to power it.

Yescom being nice about all this.
They answer the phone, are pleasant to deal with and try hard, though they can't supply much technical support.
Good folks to deal with
The hub motor was well priced and it performed well

Their cnebike kits have disappeared from Ebay
Yescom, Allinone, Hallobike and several Ebay vendors with fanciful names seem to have shifted to using the Conhismotor packs
using LCD displays and the non blade fuse others had mentioned
the problematic PAS switch seems to have disappeared as well

Sources and information on the LCD are hard to track down
which was one of my original concerns

? Maybe turn this thread into EbayEbike Kit review?
EEK!

Back