Cycle Analyst V3, shorted to motor phase wires, now dead

As the topic says, I had an incident the other day, where most all the wires going in to my cromotor got shered off and shorted to the motor axle.

As far as I can measure, one of the hall sensors died, I´m working on replacing them right now, but also, my CA V3 gave up...

I had two wires from the CA going in to the motor, GND and the thermistor input. One or both of these probably got shorted to the phase wire that got knicked.
The display lights up but nothing more. I have opened it but cant see any damaged components.

Any ideas of what might have happened so I know what to look for?

I had a similar thing happen. In the rain I slid out on a corner and went down, a couple of the wires coming from the axle got sheared off, now the backlight works but no display. I fear we will have to return them to grin.ca for a CA rebuild :roll:

The speed input to the CA is from a motor hall sensor, so the thermistor is not the only path in. Applying motor phase / battery voltage to these low voltage inputs is likely to damage the input circuitry and the microprocessor, and it can backfeed into the low voltage regulator and then get into other circuits as well. It is likely to damage many components.

I had an incident with the speed sensor input shorted to the batt+ at the shunt's data cable, and I haven't troubleshot it yet.

I did contact Grin and was given an RMA number to send it in for a looksee, but I haven't done that yet. At the time the possibility was given that it might be an MCU or other components, and might be repairable or might be cheaper to swap out the board(s) inside.

I'm still hoping to get around to working on it myself, but it's been more than a year and everytime I think I have time/ability, something else comes up. :/

But it is probalby not something simple; it's probably the MCU itself, plus other parts.

Back