Cycle analyst screen from landscape to portrait?

benkels

100 mW
Hi, I've done a bity of a search but couldn't find anything.

Just wondering if any one out there has tried changing the screen of a CA to one that could be read in portrait orientation? I'm keen to keep the handlebars as clean as possible on my new build and would like to set the CA into the top tube just behind the headset, ie the same location as on a Stealth Bomber but my frame is only around 70mm wide.

Has anyone out there had a go at this or have any idea of how to go about it?

AFAIU you'd need to rewrite the firmware for the part of the CA that sends data to the LCD.

You might be able to find an LCD that is vertically formated, that takes the same data input but automatically splits the lines up from two horizontal to the 8 or 10 lines it would end up as when done vertically.

Or you could use an arduino or other MCU system to do that conversion from the data actually coming out of the CA to it's LCD, then send the converted data to the LCD of your choice.

A mechanical way to do this is also possible, by taking small mirrors and reflecting the display sections at various angles to show up on another mirror, but I imagine this would be a rather clunky and largish mechanism, and stick out a ways from the front of the CA's face. ;)

As far as I know the 1602 LCD character sets only work in one orientation, so you'd need to design custom characters to work in portrait. A different display type makes more sense. Like those cheap OLEDs you can get on ebay.

amberwolf said:
Or you could use an arduino or other MCU system to do that conversion from the data actually coming out of the CA to it's LCD, then send the converted data to the LCD of your choice.

This seems possible. But you're going to have to learn some programming.

ooof, sounds a bit above my pay grade...

Guess I'm happier with the fabrication side of things than the clever stuff.

Thanks for your input though, never hurts to put something out there!

Back