Front fork too flimsy?

C.B.

1 mW
So I got myself a new commuter and headed for a place where they laced the back wheel for my previous e-build to discuss with them how the wheel for my new bike should be done, me this time opting for the front rather than the back.

Now, he suggested that I might not want to have the motor in the front because the fork might be too weak for this.
I threw an eye in the direction of the fork and can't help but think he might actually have a point, although I've never come across the argument before because he was referring to the upper end rather than the dropouts.
It's CrMo Steel, not aluminium, which should be a good thing. I'm attaching an image for your delectation. As you see it makes a kind of hour glass curve at the top, though it's thankfully as thick all the way rund. It's not hollowed out underneath in the area where it meets the mudguard.

What do you reckon?

Edit: The motor in question is an 8Fun SWXK5, 36v/250w

Attachments

• IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 589
That fork doesn't look bad to me, if you use reason when selecting a motor.

I'm using a similar front setup, with a MAC 10T and two short torque arms:

3xdz.jpg

Ah, yes. I should of course have mentioned I would be using the 8Fun SWXK5, 36v/250w.
What kind of punch does that one pack?

I'm running it from about 350 to 1200W.

I think it helps that it's a pedelec only setup (no throttle). So the bike is always slightly moving when the motor comes on...It's really never pulling from a dead stop, which I believe would end up being hard on the head tube.

Its the question you dont want to be asking yourself :D ,but if you understand flat surfaces and correct torque, you will be fine with less voltage in this fork.

That fork looks plenty strong enough for a low powered motor that you plan. Especially since it is a rigid steel fork. I wouldn't worry about the fork and would think that the guy was trying to upsell.

Back