Trouble with my ebike???

elmo13

1 mW
ok so i had a 500w 36v ebike but i found out it was too slow. Then i got a 1500w controller . When i first installed the controller, the rear hub motor which is a cheap chinese brand ran backwards and made a strange sound so i guessed it wasnt connected right. So i didnt changed the hall wire or the big 3 phase wires instead i found this video online that said by connecting the self study (learn) wires it would configure itself out. So i did but what happen is the ebike went out of controlled , and crashed. When i pick up the e bike and flip the bike ,the hub wheel wouldnt spin right by spinning it by hand. I tried dropping it on a another bike but when i spin it spins rough and it doesnt spin for a lot maybe like 2 spins max by hand i checked the dropouts and its fine. I also checked gears and they work great? could it be the bearings, axle or motor, I havent tried reconnecting and actually running it with power yet after the crash.

Bummer.

Is it a geared motor?
Did it it hit a wall or did it try to turn the wheel when something was stopping it from doing so?

its a hub motor in the center of the wheel it didnt hit a wall it just stopped because a phase wire disconnected.

Hey elmo13,

First things first....please follow these directions......
Welcome to ES 1.jpg

OK, now that that is done we need some detail.

Some controllers have self study.

Does the motor spin with all the wires disconnected (i think that is what you said but I want to make sure.)
What happens when you spin it with all the wires disconnected? Does it judder? Does it make any weird sounds?

Also, do you have any pictures you can post? Keep the file size under 640x480 (vga) so you can post them here easily.

:D

elmo13 said:
its a hub motor in the center of the wheel it didnt hit a wall it just stopped because a phase wire disconnected.

So what happens when you reconnect the phase wires?

thaanks i live in socal here is pic of the controller and motor i reconnected the phase and disconnected it but havent powered the controller yet since it happened and ive spinned it by hand only and it spins rough and has a slight dull rubbing noise ..

Attachments

• CAM00946.jpg
    CAM00946.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 632
elmo13 said:
it spins roughly with or without the wires connected

Any wires from motor side touching each other when spinning wheel by hand? If not and the wheel still feels hard to turn you might have shorted phase wires? Rule out brakes dragging or misalignment in dropouts before cracking it open but if hard to turn with no connection to the controller that is an ominous sign of shorted motor phase windings.

Ykick said:
elmo13 said:
it spins roughly with or without the wires connected

Any wires from motor side touching each other when spinning wheel by hand? If not and the wheel still feels hard to turn you might have shorted phase wires? Rule out brakes dragging or misalignment in dropouts before cracking it open but if hard to turn with no connection to the controller that is an ominous sign of shorted motor phase windings.
ahh yes it could be the phase wires i just connected the controller to the batteries and hit the throttle it wouldnt spin,, question is how do i open the motor?

i ruled out brakes, gears, any obstructions and i don not see any wires touching each other but the pase wire are very thin not sure what awg they are but it looks like 18?

Bookmark and look this page over.

http://www.ebikes.ca/learn/troubleshooting.html

There's info about cracking hub motor open. Good stuff for controller/motor testing as well.

Here is something to try...

Unplug your 3 phase wires from the controller. Take your digital multi meter and set it to continuity.
Put the red prob to one of the phase wire connectors and the black prob to the axle of your motor. Make sure you get a good connection on the axle. Does it show open or closed circuit?

Repeat this step with all three wires.

If any one of them shows a closed circuit, then you have a short.

Please post your results for others to read.

:D

Back