Battery build

berge06

10 mW
Hi

It's been a while, and I finally got some time to tinker with my e-bike.
I also received 10 used laptop batteries that I will be ussing in addition to my other 18650 cells.

The laptop batteries are configured in 3s2p and seems to be in ok shape.

I have been testing the packs in their stock form, and inspected the oem welds. They seem good enogh.
Is there any reason I should not use the packs in their original form, remove plastic and add cables? (balance leads and "mains"), I will

The battery packs are for my 24v 250 w hub motor that I have tested at 6s-9s (low Ah packs) . with an older setup. I will probably run 8s or 9s until thing starts to break.

There is no reason to rip everything. if serials fits and you connect those packs right to another paralleled groups it will work same as doing the pack at once.
Just you should check if the nickel conductors on that laptop packs are enough thick for your amps demanding. And also be sure to remove all the electronics. You will find some fuses or another safety stuff on anodes. that should be removed if possible, all depend on how much is the difference in discharge rating for each cell on your controller.

The real problem you will find are differences in capacity (real) on the cells.

you can have differences about each cell capacity into each paralleled group, but all the paralleled group must sum the same "effective" Ah. After welding or soldering the pack you should make before some cells capacity tests, or on each paralleled group.

Your 24V battery pack will have the same capacity as the weakest of your paralleled group

Thanks

I am currently testing the packs as we speak and I have also hooked some up to my bike. Nothing gets hot yet I just need more packs to be ready capacity wise. The Voltage drop is quite big I really need to upgrade the phase wires.

Hopefully I can make my self a usefull pack, It's mostly for fun anyways.

Back