What controller to improve my e-bike?

mimi55

1 µW
Hello,
I had a "home-made" e-bike on a specialized stumpjumper frame.
The engine is a nine continent RH205S 8X8.
The battery makes 48V 20Ah 30A continuous 60A peak with BMS.
The current controller comes from POWER EBIKE (controller brushless 28A).

I try to know if it is possible to improve the characteristics of my machine by changing controller?
So my questions:
- How time an announcing battery 60A in "peak" can produce this current ?
- Will it Exist controllers with this type of functioning (30A continuous, 60A peak)?
- If yes, what I may hope "to win" with this type of controller?
- If yes, if you have marks(brands), models and suppliers.
In advance Thank you for your answers.
Mickael

P.S. Sorry for the translation, i'm French...

In my opinion, you already have the optimal power level for that type motor, about 1500w (48v 30 amps) and the battery you have. But any generic 40 amps controller will ride nicer, as it kills your battery.

Your battery is going to hate it, if you get a controller than allows 60 amps spikes.

There is no standard for the time a battery can stand to be at "peak" output. Generally it's 30 seconds or so, but it might be as short as fraction of a second. When the battery is being over burdened, parts of the battery will be overheating. Some of that heat is easy to measure, but some of the heating is inside the cells and can't be easily measured outside of a lab. For most ebike purposes, you should ignore the peak value, as it's essentially useless for practical purposes.

Your controller and battery are a good match. If you change the controller, you need to also upgrade the battery. That motor improves a little at 40 amps. However it improves even more if you increase the voltage. I've found 60-72 volts at 40 amps is where I like to run the ones I have.

Back