How improving 48v 15Ah (top speed)

djeg72

100 µW
Hi all,

i have a 48v ebike with a 15Ah Lifepo4 battery and a 1000w hub motor,since 2012, Work great, near 3000 miles on it.
I want to improve top speed. Is it possible improving top speed with a 48v setup or i have to go next voltage? (60v)?

What is the difference between a battery 15ah and 20ah? (5ah i know :wink: , but what the 20ah will improve over the 15ah?

Overall, what are the changes i have to do if i want to improve top speed, if i keep the existing 1000w hub motor?

i bought a complete kit with the right setup but i'm not familiar with every component of an ebike and how to play with them.

thanks

Jerome

djeg72 said:
Hi all,

i have a 48v ebike with a 15Ah Lifepo4 battery and a 1000w hub motor,since 2012, Work great, near 3000 miles on it.
I want to improve top speed. Is it possible improving top speed with a 48v setup or i have to go next voltage? (60v)?

What is the difference between a battery 15ah and 20ah? (5ah i know :wink: , but what the 20ah will improve over the 15ah?

Overall, what are the changes i have to do if i want to improve top speed, if i keep the existing 1000w hub motor?

i bought a complete kit with the right setup but i'm not familiar with every component of an ebike and how to play with them.

thanks

Jerome

Hi and Welcome to the forum Jerome.

The Ah is the capacity of the battery ( The ENERGY your battery have is expressed as 48V x 15Ah = 720Wh energy witch affect directly your range.

The more volt the faster your motor will spin as well, but at a given speed Volt become insuffisant.. you need more power. And... Power is expresse as: Volt x Ampere where the Ampere are the current that your battery BMS and Controller are limited to).. exÉ: if your BMS is rated for 40A and your controller 30A, your max A is 30A... if your controller is rated 40A and your battery is 40A your max current is 40A.. the power you have is 40 x 48 = 1920W. usually that power is ok to acheive up to 60kmh in the best conditions ( tire, total weight etc)...

I suggest you tu use the ebike simulator and you will have fun discovering how to understand ebike motor performance!: http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

Some motor are faster than other for the same voltage but at the end it is always the power that limit power. Also you can have enough power but a motor too slow speed and battery voltage not enough high.

This place is certainly the best place for you to learn how to understand and improove your setup! :wink:

Doc

You'll need to up the voltage to get any noticeable speed increase. That will typically mean a new controller. Go with a 72V controller and add 24V battery pack in series with what you have now.

Back