Tao Tao ATE 501 PLEASE HELP

Ami1982

1 µW
Okay so my partner bought me an E-Bike a little over a month ago because I needed to get to work and back....I went out last week to go to work and it wouldn't go....I don't know much about ebikes but I have tried to contact everyone in our area and it seams the bike wasn't purchased here to begin with and the man we bought it from moved here so there are no dealerships or people who will even fix the bike....I have a few people willing to help me but we need a diagnosis to fix the issues and the dealership just keeps telling me to bring it in to them to look at 5 hours away!!! .. I even contacted the manufacturer and they said "this is why we only sell these to licenced dealerships so that you have a place to get it fixed at, how do you want me to help you?" ...This is where I am hoping that you guys may have some information for me....

The bike is fully charged, it says it and it was plugged in for a while....I put the key into the ignition (all lights and sounds work) but when I throttle it back it wont go anywhere....I can hear the motor running and trying to go, but it seams like it doesn't have a chain on it (like a peddle bike when you peddle it but it just doesn't go anywhere because the chain is off)....Yes I know that ebikes do not have chains to make the wheels turn but that's what it seams like....I am totally clueless on where to even begin to look to see what would be wrong or how to check it, but by no means am I or my partner a dummy....we have both a mechanic and electrician who are willing to help us along with a few other people but we just cant find any information.....After searching the web for some kind of ideas we are left even more clueless then when we started....

Any information or ideas would be so greatly appreciated...I am new to all of this stuff and just don't want to break it more then it is already broken :(

Some motors have roller clutches so that it only engages when it turns forward and it will disengage when you're pedalling faster than the motor or when you're freewheeling.

If the motor spins backwards, the clutch won't engage. You can check that by lifting the wheel off the ground. There's still a tiny force on it, so it will try and move slowly in the direction of the motor. If it rotates the correct way, your clutch is stuck, so you have to open the motor to sevice it.

Show us a photo of the motor from each side so that we can help further.

Shear pin, AKA shaft key has failed. so the motor turns, but it won't turn the clutch and gear assembly that rotates the actual wheel.

If you are up to it, take the motor apart, and if it's that key, you can likely find one similar enough at a good hardware store.

Be patient; the OP hasn't even logged back into ES yet!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:18 am
Last visited: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:19 am

amberwolf said:
Be patient; the OP hasn't even logged back into ES yet!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:18 am
Last visited: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:19 am

never coming back. just like a lotta these people who ask for help and never ever even reply.

Then perhaps to prevent frustration when that sort of thing happens. you should not answer their questions or read their threads? ;)

I certainly understand the frustration of trying to help people that don't see priorities the same way, but it doesn't really do anything for anybody to get upset about that--it's just how life works.

FWIW, at least some, and probalby many, people that post questions on forums aren't even normally on the internet every day, or may not even have internet access very often. Or their problem posted about may not be the most important / highest priority of the problems they presently have to deal with in life.

Back