Magic Pie 2 88v-50A....Pie 3 upgrade

Joachim

1 kW
first I run the mp motor on 63v(15s lipo) with a cheap controller max volts 63 and peak amp 35.

Now i have a new crustalyte sensorles controller,max 90v-45A.
first run the pie on the new controller 63v-45A and this wurks fine..2500watts and top speed 60km/h.

Like to have some more power/watts so i take a ride on 18s lipo-75volt.
Runs good but somtimes the motor hiks and make a bad sound like al the magnets.bearings are loosen :shock:
this effect kicks in as i drive from a death stop with to much throtlle....so if i take care@ low speeds from the start there was no
problem and the power was more and topspeed almost 70km/h.

Today i try to ride the pie on 88Volts and 45Amps bud the problem
of shocking sound and motor stops for a second comes again :(
To a speed of 40/50km/h there is no problem but if i turn the trohtlle to much @ this speeds the motor stals again :twisted:

Realy gentel with the throtle is no problem and the bike runs fast and motor stil cool,topspeed 85km/h

What is happening with the pie,sound and stops???out of syn? rpm,s to much?controller dont know this hi speed?

The phase wiring is a bit long but not extreem and i put bigger phase wires in the motor and the wiring stays cool,the displays apm shows reverse(motor drives forward..this is not the problem i think?)

Maby i need a real big motor and i,am already over the max of the pie are..?
apm display shows 120km/h with the wheel of the ground and rpm,s are 900 :mrgreen:
running the pie on the mtb with 29inch tires...maby smaller wheel size wil help?

Dont understand the nocking sound and motor stop for a second :?

The motor turns good with out load(wheel of the ground 900rpm,s)

I,can change the settings from the controller with the apm display...volts/lvc/max speed/amps.
25/30Amps peak@88v wurks fine...bud from a start i have the same problem when give to much throtle.

I think i need a good controller with hall-sensors.

The cheap and smaller controller feels much smoother on the throtle compare to the crystalyte controller.

Connectors melted?do you meen phase wires?al these wires dont have connectors...al the way wire from motor phase to controller.

I can try to make the phase wires shorter.

You need sensor controller above about 2.5 kw. I also experienced this.

At 3.5 kw this motor plies.

I'll see if I can find my old thread on the matter.

Thx for the info.

I can ride the bike until 70% throtle..50km/h wen i give it the last 30% throtle the engine runs out of synch :|
easy throtle is no problem and the pie runs ok til max speed(80km/h crazzy bike speed) but you mis the torque.

@63v-45A the pie get a little warm, @88V an les amps the pie stays cold so this a good thing:more volts less amps and the same watts of power
controller also stays compleet cool on the heatsink side.

these controller are a waste of money pffff i need a sensored controller en put som good hall sensors back in the motor :?
maby wen i have some extra money next year :lol: first i will ride the bike as it is.

Maby a 24inch wheel give me some more torque...i ride it in a 29inch wheel,large wheel size.

I check the wiring from the phases and make the wires shorte by 20cm.
wil take Test ride tomorow(88v) and program the controller to max amps with the apm display....this is al i can do for now.

there is only one correct phase combi i can run the pie so this must be ok.

I was running 24S Lipo, crazy, had to limit the throttle and at that was still doing 40+ mph.

I would just install new halls again, and go back to sensor controller. What happened the halls ?

Great motor but watch steep hills with over 2.5 Kw. If you got steep hills then maybe best to get a smaller Rim. Might be worth while flogging it before you cook it and get one of the high powered motors instead but they are heavy and wide.

I did have a lot of fun with the pie but after I roasted it on a steep long hill over 16-22% it was never the same again, it was stinking all the way back home in the car but it was stupid in a 26 inch rim.

I would go with a higher power rated motor for high power use and a faster wind. Maybe reconfig your battery for less voltage and more AH and turn up the amps, I was running 80 amps through that motor at 60 volts with halls. I think the max speed was 35 mph but the acceleration was crazy and it actually didn't heat up too much either. I modified the controller by applying some solder to the shunt and beefing up the traces on the board to take the current and I never fried it because I accelerated so fast it rarely saw 80 amps for long.

I used Alphawire ECowire 12 AWG and it's just amazing cable, really thin and I could fit them through the bearing without too much hassle and the wires hardly got warm.

I found the MAC 8T an absolute blast. That motor can move on 16S or about 66.6 volts hot off the charger charged to 4.15 V per cel total about 3 kw but again not for sustained abuse. It's a lot tougher these days with a far higher quality clutch. Probably my favourite motor. But it would heat up faster but all I put it through there were no signs of over heating.

The major plus for me at the time was the freewheeling ability of the MAC because I liked to pedal a lot and the Pie made it feel like I was pulling another bike behind me.

The motor is broken..cant get it running normal.

So i put a brand new mp 3 on the bike and it runs ok.

the controller is not 100% i think,the first spin was ok but later out of synch and voltage drop on the apm display(dont know why it drops).

Let spin the motor easy and gentel with the throtle...after a wile the pie 3 runs perfect!

Test ride the bike and it is good.

63volt and 45amps runs good and fast with topspeed of almost 60km/h.

I wil try 75volts but maby the controller wil freak out again :lol: controller is a 72volt 45amp so i will try this.
wil make a movie of the testrun.

runs ok on 75volt-45A :D
@ 2:37 i pul max amps/throtle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPraKJDjG9c

open the pie 2 and the winding and stator/rotor look like new!no burning spots and the phase wires are ok.
The only thing that looks not good is a bearing...i think this is the problem.side plate spot were the bearing fits is grooved and the bearing stays on the axle/not in the side plate bearing spot.

The pie 3 have a big hole wen put out the internal controller.
I can put 4mm phase wires thru the hole.
I try to put a fan in the middel @ the old controller spot and dril som holes,air from outside wil flow in to the motor.
I wil dril holes @ the tops of the left and right side covers,the fresh air from the fan can go out the hub housing and flows agains the top where the magnets and stator are.Hope this will help to cool the hubmotor.

The pie is in a 700c rim and i will order new spokes(8,5mm/2.3mm) and put the pie in a 24 inch rim.
Hope to make les heat and have more power from the start.maby give the controller 88volts for some extra topspeed(60km/h oke for me)

the pie 3 is now in a 24 inch rim.
Company www.devi-motion.com have al the stuf i need for the pie,s and the divelery was verry vast(3 days spokes&rim).

I buy some 12 awg 200c silicon wire for the phase wires.
now the pie 3 from inside the motor to the controller in one way(no plugs) 12 awg rc siliconen wire.

drilled some cooling holes in the side covers.

Take it fot a spin 18S lipo 45A controller peak.

This bicycle is a crazzy wheelie monster :shock: almost to fast :lol: :wink:
21S 88volts will be way too much so 18s is perfect for the smal beast.

Take a fast ride for 15minuts(make some wheelies on the parking area).

Motor stays compleet cool :p

Next things to do:eek:rder a good rear schock and a 26 inch front wheel.

Soon I make photos and a movie.

124bnmq.jpg

First i have to fix some things.
order today parts:new bigger tyre,24-2.3,fox rear schock,new ahead mtb steeringbar,26 inch rim incl disc mount.

Need to change the tire.want to put the phase wires out of the back from the bike(more space between dropouts and disc mounting bolts).
Paint the rim alluminium v-brake side part also in black collor.
Line out the wheel perfect in the swingarm.
Adjust the brake caliber perfect to the disc.
put the new steering bar/rear schock on the bike.
2iiv500.jpg

The pie 3 have perfect space for the bigger 12awg phase wires and these ones stay perfect cool.(older original wires like inside pie get a litlle hot)

The bearing on the disc/controller side of the pie 3 is verry heavy and big :shock: also the bearing is very wide and almost in the middel of the axel.

Some smal things to do before i can ride but the pie in a 24 inch wheel is a real torque monster and stays cool wiht the smaller wheel size.

funny thing is the extra noise the motor makes with the cooling holes in the side of the motor..zoem zoem :lol:

Nice new schwalbe tabel top tire 24inch 2.25 wide.
New Rear shock fits ok and is strong and heavy.
New a-head mtb handlebar.

Nice big fender @the back and a small one in the front.

waiting for the 26inch front rim.

Almost ready for a test ride.
13zbprn.jpg

16icyuv.jpg

jj1lye.jpg

Hehe i found the problem with the volt drop and hi-voltage cut off/phase out of syn.
Made 2 paralel connectors for my lipo packs so 2p.
only usse one connector for the short rides of 12km....18s 1p are 21s 1p.

The apm display shows the volts are going down 20 volts and i was thinking the controller was the problem.
I put my multimeter between the pos/neg wiring from battery to controller and the multimeter show the same volt drops :shock:

Get the second serie connector and plug a 18s pack togheter....problems are gone!
try with the other connector and yes the problems are there again!

So i found the problem of a bad XT90 connetor and solve the problem compleet :D

I plug in a 21s pack 86volt and the motor runs also perfect!

Already run the pie 3 on 18s in the new 24inch rim and this is nice and strong combo.....
i can run the motor also on 21s 88volt now hmmmm i think the bike wil run verry powerfull on 21s 8)
Wheel of the ground 86 volts 800rpm, the max speed is 94km/h...on the street i think this wil max out@70km/h so this is ok for me.

Put the new 26inch front rim with the discbrake also on the bike.

Ready for take off :twisted:

Hehe, and definitely ready for a temp sensor! :)

No space for the temp sensor wires...phase wires take al the space there is.

I can put a bbq temp sensor in the cooling holes to see the temp of the windings....after a max ride.
Motor is cool on the outside,cooling holes have dun thje trick and i think the heatsink of the magic pie is verry good because these motors
are big(and heavy :x )

Might as well squeeze some statorade in there as well. That is still a lot of power to run through a MP. :)

Luckely i dont have a lot off hills here in the lowlands.

I wil test the temp after i ride the pie on 88volt 21s.

I put a nice on/off switch on the handlebar today...something go wrong i have a kill switch :mrgreen:

i dont know how the bike rides on 88v....never ride this volts without problems,now its al ok so we will see how things wurk out.

Max power wil be something like 3600 watt.

just a smal movie how the bike looks and the pie peforms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSi1BQEe4-M

Put a new tire on the front...also schwalbe table top same like the rear tire.
New front suspension fork almost 100mm travel.
Short ahead handle bar from easton 90mm/17 degree angel.
2j1ndj9.jpg

Back