New GoldenMotor Regen controller....

MyPC8MyBrain

100 mW
So Phillip at GoldenMotors has said that he is sorry for not replacing my blown 48v regen controller sooner and will be sending a new style regen controller set. Maybe he's trying be better after the last email i sent. :shock:

Anybody seen one of these before ? First time I've seen something like this.

Cruise%20BLDC%20Controller.jpg

To view on the website go here http://www.goldenmotor.com/and click on "Controllers"

Magic! ... It can drive your ebike even with failed motor hall sensors, throttle, breaker, or all of them failed together!
wiring diagram:
http://www.goldenmotor.com/e-Bike-DIY/Cruise Controller Wiring Diagram.pdf

drawing:
http://www.goldenmotor.com/e-Bike-DIY/Cruise%20BLDC%20Controller%20Drawing.pdf

Special Features:

Cruise Speed Control
Regenerative Braking
Anti-theft alarm and wheel-locking by detection of vehicle vibration
Hall sensor failure redundency (Automatically switch to sensorless control)
Other failures redundency (Work with failed throttle and power breaker)
You can force it to work with lower voltages (e.g 48V to 36V, 36V to 24V)
Report failure components by beeps
Motor phase self detection and calibration
Support Forward and Reverse
Excessive Current Protection
Low Voltage Protection
High Reliability
Available for 24V,36V and 48V brushless motors

It's certainly an odd looking beast, isn't it?

Interestingly, announcing the availability of this controller is the only time in more than a year and half that Philip Yao has posted anything on the GM Forum, although I'm sure he lurks over there with an alias.

Is the case on this thing plastic or cast "white metal"? Hard to tell from the picture...

Would be really nice to see pics of the inside :) The hump on the left side is a strange feature. What's in there?

Whoa!

Sorry for the double post - I just followed the link to the technical drawing of the case on that thing. It's TINY!

Only 4.6 x 2.8 x 1.6 inches! So there are probably caps standing up in that thar hump...

If you follow the link for the controller that carlinos used from this thread:
Marina Racing mini moto

You can find these which are similar to but different from the controller in question:
S-Drive Scooter Controllers

There seems to be many controllers from PGDT that might be of interest including the one carlinos used on his mini moto.

Any idea how many amps the 48v controller can handle?

Wonder if it can modified to use on a 5303 with some serious current, like 40-50a.

The PG drives look like really good machines... but at a price from what I've heard from carlinos on the linked thread.

Somehow I don't quite think that golden motor's offerings have any relation to PG drives, exept maybe for the slightly similar and odd-looking case. After my terrible experience with one of GM's motors, I would hesitate to touch them with a stick.

Yes, I received this controller on Friday. It is very small compared to traditional controllers. The set included patch wires to go from standard phase wire, hall sensor, brake, and throttle conntections to the format seen on the controller. No rewiring of accessory items will be necessary. Additionally, the kit includes a horn, and a 2 button switch for horn, and for cruise control.

The controller is held together with those triangle shaped tamper proof screws. I have one of those drivers left over from another project. When I find that driver, I'll snap some pictures of the guts.

Took the associated 48v 1000w hub motor apart this weekend to replace the melted phase wires. It looks like only the last 6" near the controller were damaged. They might have melted from heat off of the controller. I think I'll leave the wires and just replace the connectors. If they fry again then I'll replace them with 12ga that bought for that reason.

Pictures soon...

MyPC8MyBrain said:
[...]Took the associated 48v 1000w hub motor apart this weekend to replace the melted phase wires. It looks like only the last 6" near the controller were damaged. They might have melted from heat off of the controller.[...]
Does the controller get that hot, enough to melt the plastic coating off the wires?? Do you have a way to measure battery current to know how much you are using?

Looking forward to the pictures!

I just saw that controller today on the GM site and was wondering if anyone had tried it yet.

I am looking to put together 3 or 4 more light weight cheap bikes and I am really fed up with xlyte.
I really like Kelly but they are too big and too expensive for these builds.

I have never owned any Golden Motors equipment. Sounds like Patrick was not too impressed :mrgreen:

-methods

I too am in need of such a controller I have a three phase 24 volt schwinnn electric stingray with heat failure but hey it was only warm its three phase and I jo;ted it for a second and it turns and reverses so if the hall sensors are fai;led this one is the key to me having my bike bak I put it away in sept and I miss it bummer I found the same add as everyone else and I dont have pay pal or I would have risked it I sent him an email begging for one nd a picture of my schwinn electric stingray with a 20 inch 4 inch rim that has an anada motor that runs perfect on 36 and It was the coolest biekthat went bad for schwinn and I got number 185 of the final run of 250 other guys on here up volts too the 365 powr waw remarkable Its too bad I live on a sttp hill and when the outside temp reached 100 degrees the hall wiring went bad its the cheap wires heating up
well we'll see

stingray323 said:
I too am in need of such a controller I have a three phase 24 volt schwinnn electric stingray with heat failure but hey it was only warm its three phase and I jo;ted it for a second and it turns and reverses so if the hall sensors are fai;led this one is the key to me having my bike bak I put it away in sept and I miss it bummer I found the same add as everyone else and I dont have pay pal or I would have risked it I sent him an email begging for one nd a picture of my schwinn electric stingray with a 20 inch 4 inch rim that has an anada motor that runs perfect on 36 and It was the coolest biekthat went bad for schwinn and I got number 185 of the final run of 250 other guys on here up volts too the 365 powr waw remarkable Its too bad I live on a sttp hill and when the outside temp reached 100 degrees the hall wiring went bad its the cheap wires heating up
well we'll see

I too have one of those electric stingrays... (Actually 2 of them).
I ordered a 36v front motor kit and I will be getting the new controller with it. I am going to hook it up to the faster/bigger of the two bikes. (24v 40ah battery)
Quick question...

Do you think it will work for the rear motor? I can move that Battery to the other bike and keep the other bike at 24v. and change the other one to 36v (with a 20ah battery that I will have to purchase) and this new controller.
If so, then I'll have my Electric Stingray at 36v for the back motor and the new kit for the front (36v 10ah).

The courier and mailman have been good to me in the last 24 hours. I've got all the goodies to keep me busy for a while, and very little time to play.

However, I thought I'd just post this...

I was under the impression that the new GM controller was the tiniest thing I was likely to see with all the stuff it has packed into it. However, after seeing a post by another forum member (bbsux), showing one of the smaller e-crazyman controllers, I ordered one those, too.

What blew me away was that the latter is definitely the smallest controller I've seen to date (barring Justin's design, which isn't for sale yet). The 36V e-crazy is so small and light (and Infineon-based), it seems like a GREAT thing to carry as a spare.

I have all of these controllers out of their cases, so this pic gives you a relative idea of size...

controller%20sizes.jpg

Maybe I'll get to play on Sunday :-(

Another interesting note, if anyone hasn't mentioned it - the new GM comes with special case screws with TRIANGULAR heads. Like a 3-sided Robertson. Not much of a deterrent :)

Sorry for the double post...

For those who haven't seen any of the controllers in the picture, there wasn't anything to give you a sense of scale...

THIS will give you an idea of how small the e-crazyman unit is compared to the new GM....

controller%20size2.jpg

Cool, huh?

OK, OK... (Crap, I gotta get some work done)...

Just couldn't leave you guys without some controller prOn to look at... The triangular screws weren't much of a problem.

The case is VERY well sealed, and fits together in such a way as to clamp the transistors (there are six P140NF75s in this unit) very tightly to the bottom cover (with a membrane and some gelatinous heat sink compound). The top is also completely compressed into a white foam gasket that completely seals the case and connectors.

No real time to scrutinize the thing more closely, but a few observations...

GM%20MCU.jpg

They've etched off the component ID from the MCU. At first I thought it was just gunk, but when alcohol (then acetone) failed to make a difference I realized what was going on...

The power supply appears to be a SWITCHER!

GM%20PSU.jpg

Here's an overall view of the top of the board...

GM%20Top.jpg

Note the copper power rails to the FETs...

And here are the FETS on the bottom...

GM%20Back.jpg

You know, I've probably spent enough time fooling around with e-bike stuff today that I should probably just hooked one of these things up and gone for a ride. Though it *is* effing cold outside today...

wow. . . that is quality.

Thanks for posting the reference size as I had no idea!
I am used to my kelly controller that is the size of a lunch pail.

My wife will love this. . . Totally stealth.
I am going to order one.

-methods

Edit: Ok, I am confused. I cant seem to find one for sale that is that small. I also cant find the post by bbsux. Could somebody throw me a bone? Thanks.

I have metal gears for PUMA ...

PUMA_Metal_Gears.JPG

You must pay homage to "FEARLESS LEADER" however. :D

Bloody_Yanks.jpg

One "Bad Ass" Brit! :shock:

Stuck on Stingray's
I finally found a complete Hub motor w wheel 24", controller, and throttle..... it includes a rack and battery bag. this whole kit is the latest tech with three phases and NO HALL EFFECT WIRES just a yellow, blue, and green to the HUB
I installed it on my Schwinn Electric Stingray. Front.
I have 2 SLA's in the chrome battery box and 2 SLA's on the rack in the rear.
This Makes 48 volts. the price of the kit complete as described is $ 239.00 plus tax in CA and shipping
My Kit came to $310 delivered.
I have noticed that the controllers are available individually a.....Price is $49.95 they come in 36 volt and 48 volt with a thumb throttle that contains 4 wires.Power on light , full, and empty light.
It have given new life to the Stingray, and I assume that I could hook up the three wires directly to my rear 24volt 250 amp rated hub and watch her spin ferociously.
Since there are no Hall effect wires to fail, the original start off from a stop is a little bumpy,but she spins perfectly and has no speed cut off! 49 volts is perfect for all the weight I am pulling.. the bike and battery's weigh 118 lbs plus my 170 equil 298.. up a steep hill is effortless and a bunch of groceries too boot!
So All of you guys and gals who are looking for a cheap 3 phase controller with no Hall effect wires to fix a hub motor you've given up on
Or if you want to know where "Wilderness Energy" type kits have gone since disappearing off the net......... these kits compare
the Hub pictured in the expensive kits displayed on the site is the hub you receive!!!!!!!!!! on the $239.00 kit and the 48volt controller!!!!!!!!!! as well. A super fast Super easy E bike KIt I love it
Check them out at CampSolutions.com

Back