Swapping bafang 350w hub to 750w

Plaster03301

100 µW
Hi I wanna swap my 350 watt hub motor for my 750 watt bafang almost look identical but a tad bigger so I could just swap guts of it. Question is my old 350 has a 9 pin wire from hub and the same to controller on the 750. It's a 3 prong cable connector coming from hub motor and one to controller is way different . Can I just cut the one going into controller and solder it to the right controller

Below is picture of 350 watt connectors and 750 watt ones. What's best way to go about this . I've posted on lunacycle and got nothing like always no one can seem to help me. I figured I could just cut the 750w one in pic with the many wires and cut the old 350 watt one that runs to controller and solder them together . Would that work? Hope to hear back thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 3,640
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 3,640
actually wouldn't it make more send to chop my 9 pin off the 350 the one that goes to hub and just put that one on the 750? Feel like that be safer bet than messing with controller one that wire seems messy while the ones from hub are same thickness and much easier to do

Yeah the 9 pin is on the 350 that came with bike both bafang hub motors I'm gonna snip that off put on 750 . I wonder why it's different though I think it's like you said just crap cause it came from Chinese vendor . They use so many wires on there setups it's like a rats nest

The 9 pin connector is for the sensored motor with hall sensors and internal speed sensor. The three pin one is for sensorless motors. You need a controller to match the type of motor, so don't cut the connector off unless you know about these things.

Thanks for heads up! Lol Alright so is there a way to make it work with the controller I have now which is one made for sondors ebike it's just upgraded one 25 amps . Idunno why the 750 would be any different wiring wise I wish I asked guys before buying. there has to be a way to make it work with this controller

Pictures should have captions, to make more sense.

The Sondors 350 has its round 9 pin male connector to fit the Sondors controller. The Luna 25A Sondors compatible controller that you didn't discuss in the first post has a 9 pin female connector that fits it. I have that controller, but haven't used it.

Then you show this picture, which looks like your typical 3 phase amd 5 halls coming out of a motor. Is this from the 750W?
pic1.jpg

So what is this? It looks like a round 3 pin connector from a motor too. Is that from the 750W?
imagex.jpg

If both the motor and the controller use 8 or 9 wires, then you could use them. I would not splice them, because a quick disconnect is handy. I would splice in a new connector on the motor cable, but I wouldn't ruin the old motor by cutting off the connector. I would buy an extension.

If the new motor uses 3 wires, and Bafang does sell that G06 motor w/o sensors, then your Sondors controller or anew Luna upgrade won't work. You have to get a sensorless controller. But now your Sondors harness for the brakes, throttle, on button, might not be compatible.

Yes the 3 pin and the wire with the multiple wires coming out is for 750 and there is not three cables for the 750 watt is just like the 350 with 2 cables one harness cable from hub then one that goes to controller so you saying best bet is buy a new 9 pin cable and put that one the 750 motor instead cutting my 350!. I've heard people splicing these and it working . I talked to Kyle from vetmobile he said it should work

There's a video of Wendy with a sondors 25 amp controller running the 750 watt motor motor on sondors ebike on YouTube I can't see if she spliced it or not I was thinking of contacting her .

Coincidentally, I am splicing the round connectors myself to a bike motor that didn't have them. You should find the same colors inside the connector cable that correspond to the loose wires from the 750. Three fat wires, blue, yellow, and green for the three phases. Five thin wires for the Hall sensors, blue, yellow, green, black (gnd), and red (+5 V).

Were you going to try to put the 750 inside the 350 housing and use the same rim? Show us amy difference internally beween the windings if you are going to do that. I guess if you were doing that, then you could hack off the 350 connector and use it in the 750. I personally like to keep things re-useable. Those cables are $20 from Luna. I bought mine from China, but I was able to amortize the shipping with other stuff.

Doc that sounds like a great idea. I will be doing same splicing job if I can . I would of used same housing but the 750 is literally just a hair bigger I'm talking like a 16th of a inch. I don't think I could just replace guts I know with the 500 watt version you can though. I'm having a bike shop respoke new hub motor on existing rim he said he would do it for $75 so I thought it sounded like a great deal . Thanks for reply

I am having the same issue with my Bafang 750 watt geared hub motor.

I want to connect it to my LYEN controller, and when I cut the connector off of the Bafang motor, it had 6 hall wires, instead of the usual 5 hall wires and my LYEN controller only has 5 hall wires.

Bafang - yellow, blue, green, red, black, white

LYEN - yellow, blue, green, red, black { no white wire}

is the black and white hall wires coming off the bafang motor, both grounds ? Can I just connect either the white or black hall wire off the motor, to the black wire of the LYEN controller and leave either the white or black hall wire off of the bafang motor disconnected ?

Jsxxcx said:
Hi. Can the speed sensor wire be cut to remove speed limit?

It's a speed sensor inside the motor for the LCD display. If cut, and you have the LCD, you won't see the speed display when the bike is coasting. Odometer won't work either. It doesn't control the speed limit directly, if we're talking about a Sondors controller or the KT controllers that the Sondors are based on. These controllers have the speed limit set in the display.

The small black and red go together. The small and large blue, green and yellow may need to be hook up different combo to work. Matching colors may not work. Just a little throttle with wheel in air and if rear wheel be careful of spinning crank if running backwards. If throttle does not make motor work I mean just a little throttle do not Full Throttle it will not make it work anymore or better. If it makes weird noise or runs the wrong direction the wires are at a wrong combo.

FWIW, the three pin connector is actually an 8 or 9 pin. The three big pins are phases, and there are halls wire contacts around the edge of the plug.

I'd put the 9 pin plug on the new motor, its good for up to 25 amps, and fits through washer and TA holes.

Match up colors and try it. and if it does not work, begin the search for the correct phase and halls wire order.

Back