specs and controller for toprun motor

bigengineer

1 µW
Hi all. I have found this forum when was look for info about my toprun motor. The label says it is a TPH-(W)24 but I can hardly find any info about it. Can anyone tell me what kind of controller it needs and what the specs are?
toprun-tph-BW24.jpg
toprun-label.jpg

Dirk

Since nobody else has chimed in yet, I thought I put in my two cents.
I haven't found any details on this motor, but from the label, and from the connector you've shown, it looks like a standard brushed hub motor rated for 24 volts.
If that is the case, many brushed motor controllers will work, but it may require you to change the connector to, say for example, an anderson type connector - because those are typically the most common motor connectors.
Head over to ebikes.ca, and take a look at the controllers they have for sale, and read some of the awesome information they've outlined there.
Hope this at least points you in the right direction!

:oops: Forgot to mention that it is a brushless motor as far as I can see it. Without proper tools I could only remove 1 cover. But the coils are attached to the axis, so no need for brushes. There is some electronics inside.
toprun-inside.jpg

http://evchallenge.swantafe.wa.edu.au/motors.asp

http://toprun.en.ec21.com/company_info.jsp

found that on google.. not much to go on..

Looks like the controller is built in.. it could be gutted and retrofitted with an external controller...

the axle looks pretty good as far as machine work goes... Nice find.. :wink:

They link to the toprun site: http://toprun.freeyellow.com/ but there is no toprun overthere.

Ypedal, when I reply to your post I see 2 URL's, but in the topic I see only 1??

Looks like the controller is built in.. it could be gutted and retrofitted with an external controller...

Hmm, that would be waste. If I take it out I will probably find the external controls shortly after.

i love these 20 questions games. you know where someone poses a question about something, deliberatly holding back information so that the players are forced to ask questions to derive the answer. always seems to be more of a dare or challenge then a quest for answers.

1. is it a rear axle motor? from the looks of the axle on the wire side the spacing from the cover to the clamp face looks a little wide for it to be a front.

in the interest of shortening the game up a bit, i'll assume that the answer is yes and that the freewheel /gear cluster would be attached to the cover that we have not been shown.

so the axle is not a solid axle with threads on both ends. with the drive side cover removed only a short stub axle with a bearing is shown. suggests that the axle is in 2 pieces. one end would clamp to one chainstay and the other end to the opposite chainstay. best reason i can think of for this is for a simple strain gauge for use in a pedelec system.

looking at the internal picture a second circuit board is visible on the other side of the stator, under the other cover. i'll bet that all of the external wires connect to that other board.

2. have you removed the other cover yet?

the connector only has 3 pins. that usually means 3 conductors.

3. are 2 of the wires thicker than the third one obviously being the power wires?

leaves the question of what the third wire is for. i would guess it is for either a remote on/off switch on the handlebar or a expanded scale voltmeter used as a fuel gauge.

4. with the axles clamped into a chainstay (you need both sides clamped for the strain gauge to work), when you hook up 24V to the heavier power wires (careful to identify (+) and (-) first) does the motor turn?
5. how about if you apply a bit of force to the drive side cover does the motor add some power?
6. is there any voltage on the 3rd wire? is it the same as the battery voltage or lower?
7. if the motor did not provide assist before and the third wire voltage is lower, ground the third wire and see if the motor will now provide assist?

how far along in the game are we now?

is it a 24V rear pedelec assist motor? the kind where the motor amplifies your pedal input power?

rick

with the limited information presented i almost feel like one of those psychics reportedly used by the CIA for "REMOTE VIEWING" (google it). i wonder how psychic i was about what was on the unseen cover? should the CIA hire me? another Stargate project?

rkosiorek said:
i love these 20 questions games. you know where someone poses a question about something, deliberatly holding back information so that the players are forced to ask questions to derive the answer. always seems to be more of a dare or challenge then a quest for answers.
Sorry about that. I have this motor in my hands and wonder what anyone would need to identify it. Well, shape, maybe some marks, probably a typenumber. So, I take some pictures. I am/was assuming that there aren't a lot manufactures and there is lot of rebranding. It might have been a motor that is known under another brand.
1. is it a rear axle motor? from the looks of the axle on the wire side the spacing from the cover to the clamp face looks a little wide for it to be a front.

in the interest of shortening the game up a bit, i'll assume that the answer is yes and that the freewheel /gear cluster would be attached to the cover that we have not been shown.

so the axle is not a solid axle with threads on both ends. with the drive side cover removed only a short stub axle with a bearing is shown. suggests that the axle is in 2 pieces. one end would clamp to one chainstay and the other end to the opposite chainstay. best reason i can think of for this is for a simple strain gauge for use in a pedelec system.
Very good point, I should have mentioned it. It is a single axle. Maybe for a wheelchair or golfcart.
looking at the internal picture a second circuit board is visible on the other side of the stator, under the other cover. i'll bet that all of the external wires connect to that other board.

2. have you removed the other cover yet?
No, I haven't. I need a... pully puller? Don't know the english name for it. But the cover fits tight around the bearing, I can't get it off with a simple screwdriver. I can take it with to me work on the bicycle, but considering the weight and shape I would rather not do that.
the connector only has 3 pins. that usually means 3 conductors.

3. are 2 of the wires thicker than the third one obviously being the power wires?

leaves the question of what the third wire is for. i would guess it is for either a remote on/off switch on the handlebar or a expanded scale voltmeter used as a fuel gauge.
The wires have the same diameter. At first I thought it would be ground, + and the third one controlling the speed. But after reading up here on the forum I am not so sure anymore. When I posted the question I was still thinking of some 3 phase motor. But I am not so sure anymore. Why would you need all the electronics inside?
4. with the axles clamped into a chainstay (you need both sides clamped for the strain gauge to work), when you hook up 24V to the heavier power wires (careful to identify (+) and (-) first) does the motor turn?
5. how about if you apply a bit of force to the drive side cover does the motor add some power?
6. is there any voltage on the 3rd wire? is it the same as the battery voltage or lower?
7. if the motor did not provide assist before and the third wire voltage is lower, ground the third wire and see if the motor will now provide assist?
I am not going to try that. As long as I don't have a clue what the electronics are for I am not going to put power on it.
how far along in the game are we now?

is it a 24V rear pedelec assist motor? the kind where the motor amplifies your pedal input power?
I really don't know.
rick

with the limited information presented i almost feel like one of those psychics reportedly used by the CIA for "REMOTE VIEWING" (google it). i wonder how psychic i was about what was on the unseen cover? should the CIA hire me? another Stargate project?
:D Sorry, I don't think you're hired!

There is so much info here, I am overwhelmed. I did a lot of reading, tried to pick out interesting topics, but when you start with this without prior knowledge it is hard to filter out the info you need. How to find something if you don't know what you are looking for?

Dirk

I don't think that will do you much good on a bike. Wonder what its made for...

That looks like an interesting motor. it says reversable, so there is a chance the 3 wires going into the axle are Hot, Throttle, and Reverse, with ground being through the frame.

I did a search and found "sales@toprun-int.com" for Toprun Motors LLC, supposivly they suply hub motors for bikes and vehicles. But looking up toprun-int.com, the domain is for sale, so the company might be out of buisness.

That controller is small, and at 24 volts, the amp rating would be high for any real power, so I would guess that something like this was built for something low power, like a wheel chair, or electric cart of some kind.

If it was me, I would strip out the controller and wire it for an external controller. It would be nice to have 2, but 1 could power a trike

wow - boy was i wrong. just proved that i am not psychic. pscho maybe, but definitetly not psychic. also proves that your question was just too general and that not enough information ws given to answer it.

at least we now know that it is a single shaft motor. if the threaded part of the shaft is large ~ 18 or 20mm diameter there is a good chance that it was originally meant for a power wheelchair. there are also conversion kits for add ing hub motors to standard manual wheelchairs. suspiciously power wheelchairs are usually 24V.

stil no answers as to what that motor is. looks like you'll have to get that other side cover off to discover more. it would be unusual for the bearings to be pressed on both the shaft and the cover. most likelt it is just a good tight fit. you should be able to pry it off using 2 or 3 screw drivers at the same time and lifting it off straight.

rick

Hi a bit late for a reply but

The motor has a controller inside red and black thick wire is battery the other three wires are for the twist throttle motor is 200 watts motor is 24 volt or they made a pedal version

Thanks Frank

Xipi

You can use any chinese brushless controller without hall, just open motor, cut wires from controller, and connect them to wires from coils, like i show on picture.
I use 24v controller, and have 25kmh constant speed.
2014-07-15 22.00.46.jpg

The picture http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=142598 from ReSoNaNCe is working quite well.
I modified a toprun hubmotor like the picture said.
The motor is 200 Watt. I use 36 Volt in stead of 24 Volt and I powered up my controller KU63.
Now the motor is approximatly 400-500 Watt and becomes pretty warm but that's (till now) no problem.
The speed is max 35 km/hr (average speed 30 km/hr).
I have another toprun hubmotor.
I'll try to use the hall sensors as well.

Back