What's the best high-pin-count connector?

For a 10s pack to be plugged into a charger, 11 wires are needed at minimum, and two of them (ground and 10s) may carry relatively high current (10 amps or so) though of course this can be distributed over a few pins. But basically the easiest way to do this is to use a single connector with 12+ pins. Is there anything better and more reliable than molex? I've heard about failed molex connections and it certainly doesn't seem like a very good design to me.

I know multiple Andersons can be hooked up but the collective retention force of 11 of them is so high as to make it impossible to unplug. I tried it.

Use a pair of MPX connectors. They crap all over molex, and I like them better than the military threaded round connectors that cost $30 each.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4138&Product_Name=MPX_Connector_1_pair_(2pc_Male/Female)

I've run them at 20amps per pin, and they handle it with no problems. The design of each pin connection is almost exactly like a Deans Micro, but you get 6 rather than 2.

They are only about 1/2" by 1/4", and never come unplugged by accident. They fit so snug, it's handy to put a smear of vasoline on the pins to make them unplug with less effort.

Gold plated and easy to solder. Pin are in close proximity, do make sure to heat shrink each connection.

CGameProgrammer said:
I know multiple Andersons can be hooked up but the collective retention force of 11 of them is so high as to make it impossible to unplug. I tried it.

Hey! I hadn't thought of that. Most Anderson's I've put in one block is 4. Remind me not to try more :)

As ugly and awkward looking as those MPX connectors seem (hard to believe the real size, they look HUGE in the picture), you sure can't beat the price... It's amazing how many connectors pop up that you've never seen before. I've spent HOURS AND HOURS online looking for/at connectors for a specific purpose. It's stunning how many BRILLIANT connector designs are out there... If you want to spend more on connectors than you probably did on your controller :-(.

philf- Both sides of an MPX connector can be covered by just the last joint section of my pinky. They are tiny. That picture does make them look huge, but I assure you they are very tight and compact. RC guys won't settle for anything less. I use them in lots of things, and I've never once found any reason to complain about them, and I'm pretty fussy.

liveforphysics said:
Use a pair of MPX connectors. They are only about 1/2" by 1/4", and never come unplugged by accident.

Thanks for the tip, one of the hobby guys said these connectors can handle 40 amps, great design. here's a picture of it.

Attachments

• MPX connector.jpg
    MPX connector.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 2,556
yer but for charging it should be sufficient. most only charge at 2 amps.

You asked for the BEST.. i'll show you the BEST

Amphenol Aerospace Grade Military Connector... :lol: these one come from a F14 radio control system!!.. I pick it in the airport backyard!!

<
V-line-connector_features.jpg

:twisted:

Attachments

• P1070268_1024x768.jpg
    P1070268_1024x768.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,453
  • P1070270_1024x768.jpg
    P1070270_1024x768.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 1,453
If you want cheap and easy to get, Radio Shack has some good multi-pin connectors. I think they come in 9 pin and 12 pin. I used them for my battery pack.
connector.jpg
- Brad

Ypedal said:
" F14 to tower, requesting permission to land "
" Tower ? can you hear me ?.. Check .. 1...2... Check ? "
" Damit Doctor..... "

:lol: !!

Doc

LFP's link at Hobby City is dead so I'm posting a new link to the MPX connectors.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9638

Ambrose

Back