New em3ev batterý pack

Electrick

10 mW
Hello all,
Ordered a few batteries from em3ev and Joseph kindly offered to ship the hard case option.
Looking forward to receiving these, looks like a game changer.
The bluetooth ready bms is amazing. Will post a review if enough are curious.

Very curious myself.....Sounds like they're working on the fittings, may be ready in a few weeks.
Made sure the bags were still included, mind you! The smart bms looks interesting for sure.
The app seems intuitive, gives you group voltage, temperature and charge cycles.
Of course I got the 'no battery detected' message..No wonder, its 2000 kilometers away!
Has a power switch and side charge port.
Will have more details plus pictures soon.

Just received the batteries, they look awesome!
In the interest of cost and reliability I opted for the 33g cells.
Not rated for high amps, but perfect for my needs.
18.6 ah is plenty. The form and fit factor on the other hand, was huge!

The pictures tell the story about that.

20171120_113627-min-816x612.jpgThe rain finally let up so was able to get some photos.
If I can rig a mounting solution, this solves battery issues on at least 2 builds!

Attachments

• 20171120_113429-min-1632x1224.jpg
    20171120_113429-min-1632x1224.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 6,771
  • 20171120_112920-min-1305x979.jpg
    20171120_112920-min-1305x979.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 6,771
Yes, they are..14s6p33g. 18.8 ah. The packs look very robust and well sealed.
Came with bags but they only have the one size. Too big for these builds.
Now to figure a way to mount them! Will post when that's done.

EM3EV's new web site leaves a lot to be desired. Here are two quotes about their triangle battery:

"Regardless of the cell type used, the dimensions of the pack are unchanged."
... searching for dimensions ...
"Dimensions: ~75mm thick. 275mm long, 170mm high (detailed dimensions shown in additional images)."

The thing is that there are no additional images and the ones that they do have are suitable only for postage stamps.
I hope the QC on their products is better than the QC on their web site.

Reference:
https://em3ev.com/shop/50v-14s6p-small-triangle-pack/#parentHorizontalTab1

@LewTwo... yes the case looks like an acrylic plastic 5mm thick. 80mm wide.
So, a little bigger than the shrinkwrapped unit. Looks skookum!
Yes, I spent 30 seconds looking for those other pictures on his site too..🙃
@Ricsha..Paul from em3ev is working on a mounting solution. No idea what that might look like, sounds
like it'll be ready soon. I'm planning to fit a 3.5" aluminum channel on the bottom with clamps on the top, utilizing the existing screw holes.

Attachments

• 14s6p Hardcase Triangle Battery Pack Dimensions.jpg
    14s6p Hardcase Triangle Battery Pack Dimensions.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 6,642
The quality looks good, only issue I have is the plug for the charge port is not tight enough.
Easily fixed by getting a bigger one. Still trying to figure out how the app works. No documentation
or help button! Sending an email to Joseph tonight for more info. It recognizes the bms, but all
values are zero except battery temp. It reads -371.7 degrees! lol
Helium supercooling? Not sure... Anyways, here's a pic with the wrap removed
20171122_143010-1836x1836.jpg

I'm planning to fit a 3.5" aluminum channel on the bottom with clamps on the top, utilizing the existing screw holes.
You might want to give that some more thought. Acrylic is not a material that stands up to fatigue. It tends to get brittle and crack. Best case is it rips out the threads. Worse case is that it tears out the material around the bolt holes. The channel is a good idea (with a neoprene lining-- i.e. old inner tube). I would try to figure out a way to clamp it into position preferably something along all three sides.

Hi, You raise some good points. Thank you. I had thought since the main load is carried
by the downtube a top clamp would work. Still planning, any input is welcomed!
You're right, even though most force is down...a lot of strain is put on the top mount.

Only idea I have right now is to spread it out using more of the screw holes. Maybe two clamps using three
screws each. Or one full length clamp.
We'll see how it goes.

It is not the strain. Acrylic has adequate strength. The problem is the back and forth. Think of bending repeatedly bending a coat hanger in order to break it. Acrylic has the same problem though not nearly as malleable (at normal temperatures).

An ideal solution would be to capture all three corners with something like 3D printed PLA clamps.

Have been working on a cam actuated clamp idea. It looks promising for sure.
Will provide clamping force without affecting structural integrity.

Hmmm..I guess it's been done. lol
Skewer clamps, seat post clamps....Would provide support without compromising structure.

LewTwo said:
It is not the strain. Acrylic has adequate strength. The problem is the back and forth. Think of bending repeatedly bending a coat hanger in order to break it. Acrylic has the same problem though not nearly as malleable (at normal temperatures).

An ideal solution would be to capture all three corners with something like 3D printed PLA clamps.
Once I am done with the clamps and rail, there will be little to no movement.
Using butyl rubber strips on the channel. Good bounce, Awesome adhesion.

Will post updates on fit and function.

Thanks for posting about this battery. I'm anxious to see how it performs, I'm pretty sure my next pack will be one of these.

20171127_193324-1224x1224.jpgHave the bms data now. Should have been obvious that the password was the last 4 digits of the serial #!
..... Looks good, with 4 screens. Nice to get rid of some wires!
A few spelling errors but I don't care if the data is correct.

Next, get it mounted...

Attachments

• 20171127_193416-1836x1836.jpg
    20171127_193416-1836x1836.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 6,402
5878tp1-d03cl.png

These might work. I use them on trikes.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=1ag2pgn

Hi, Electrick

I have ordered the same battery as you and are interested to know how long it took to come and if it arrived by Australia post.
Also interested to know how you are going with it and how its preforming,

Thanks
David

Back