Smart Pie V starts up with a jerk

bikezen

1 mW
Hi all,

I have a Smart Pie V motor coupled with a Luna Shark 52V battery. For now I have the motor in a wheel truing stand for testing.

I had the motor installed on a bike briefly and found when I use the throttle, the motor goes from 0 to 1-2 mph with no ramp up. There's no gradation there at all, it's either off or jerks into rotation. Maybe it's not a huge effect but definitely noticeable down there on the end of the fork. Kind of a jerk forward when you activate the power.

If you feather the throttle in tiny increments you can perhaps get the motor to start up slowly but really it's just kind of fluctuating between no power and a steep ramp up to rolling. Is this normal for this motor? The other hub motors I've used didn't exhibit this type of abrupt on/off behavior.

Would the USB or Bluetooth programmer access be any use with this?

Thanks.

Isn't this just that you have a pedal first controller? That seems to be able to start the motor without any motion at all (jerkily). That fits the pattern of my 9 continent pedal first setup. It will only start smoothly if the wheel is moving forward very slightly. If not, could be jerky forward or even backward I have noticed. Hence I only apply the throttle after I have pedalled forward the smallest amount...

Doesn't a pedal first controller need a sensor to know if the cranks are moving? I don't have that on this system.

Pedal first means there are no Hall sensors needed to start the motor, but it must be moving a little bit to operate. Pedal first equals sensorless controller. If it was sensored, you wouldn't need to pedal first - the motor could start smoothly from zero.

bikezen said:
Would the USB or Bluetooth programmer access be any use with this?

Thanks.

I also have the Magic Pie V5 with 52 volt bottle battery. With the kit from Luna...(Hall throttle sensor) My start-up seems a bit abrupt also, though I like the torque! :D The parameters shown below are available thru the programming software. But I'm still waiting for an available programming cable (USB to 5 pin dongle) to give it a try...

6oGTU9H.jpg

As you can see there are other performance settings which may also smooth things out a bit...BTW the controller does have motor hall sensors. :wink:

Regards,

T.C.

Having received my USB connection cable, and making a few programming changes. I thought I'd bring this up to date.

Not all settings seen above in the software display are available on the Magic Pie v5. There are actually only 12 parameters that can be set. But of these I set the amperage and RPM to satisfy E-Bike law requirements in Illinois. That reducing the power output of the motor to 750 watts. (1 HP) and limiting the max RPM to 20 MPH. I also felt it would be a good idea to disable reverse, as I won't use it. And for safety, in case the reverse wiring became grounded accidently.

See available and factory setpoints on Magic Pie v5 ...

EYFHofp.jpg

So with these changes motor start-up is very smooth, acceleration good, cruise smooth, and top end limited. I'm very satisfied. And the acceleration parameter was not even touched.

Regards,
T.C.

TommyCat said:
Having received my USB connection cable, and making a few programming changes. I thought I'd bring this up to date.

Not all settings seen above in the software display are available on the Magic Pie v5. There are actually only 12 parameters that can be set. But of these I set the amperage and RPM to satisfy E-Bike law requirements in Illinois. That reducing the power output of the motor to 750 watts. (1 HP) and limiting the max RPM to 20 MPH. I also felt it would be a good idea to disable reverse, as I won't use it. And for safety, in case the reverse wiring became grounded accidently.

See available and factory setpoints on Magic Pie v5 ...

EYFHofp.jpg

So with these changes motor start-up is very smooth, acceleration good, cruise smooth, and top end limited. I'm very satisfied. And the acceleration parameter was not even touched.

Regards,
T.C.

Hello Tommy Cat,

I have been using this motor, but I´m very surprising that such advance motor has fewer parameters to change. One of the worst things is the PAS configuration, I have 5 magnets PAS and its a hell to get good setting in order to have a good felling between pedaling and motor. Do you use PAS? If so, how many magnets? I would appreciate your feedback. BTW I just get Regen breaking at 50 amps and it is great, you could save a lot in braking wear.

Regards

Hello Axolotl,
Always happy to give some feedback. :)

Axolotl said:
I have been using this motor, but I´m very surprising that such advance motor has fewer parameters to change.

I admit to being a bit disappointed myself. And with your desire to tweek PAS settings, more here would be better.
But that just proves how really smart they are, not to let us mess em up with settings to bad.
:lol:

One of the worst things is the PAS configuration, I have 5 magnets PAS and its a hell to get good setting in order to have a good felling between pedaling and motor.

Do you use PAS? If so, how many magnets?

I do not use PAS at this time. Do you have a Smart Display? I have been very curious about PAS as I do use a Smart Display, so all I would need is a sensor. The display has levels of PAS that you can choose.
So please let me know how yours works and how you would like to see it made better! I assume you can't use a throttle...?
Right now I'll get to a desired riding speed and hit the cruise button. Then I pedal along as I wish if at all. :wink: Works great for me.
From my research it is indicated that the more magnets you have, the better results will be.
Also a combination of controller PAS and acceleration settings may be able to smooth things out. Trial and error from what I see.

There are also 3 types of sensors... GM type (hall sensor) I think the one your using now, voltage type that's tied into, or takes the place of the throttle input, and torque sensing. (Best but most expensive)
These are in the order of best working from opinions I've read. For a lot more opinions and information on the Pie series I would encourage you to go ...HERE. Search for Magic PAS. Be sure to listen to everything the master guru of Pie's tells you...Alan AKA- Bikemad. He is very good.

I just get Regen breaking at 50 amps and it is great, you could save a lot in braking wear.

One of my favorites also! Had to turn it down to 40...it can get aggressive. :shock:

Regards

If you need any clarifications or questions...let me know.

Regards,
T.C.

Back