5 Bafang BBS02 Conversions

hie2kolob

10 W
Here are a few pictures of two Cannondale’s that have been converted with the BBS02 48V 750W (25A) kit. Both kits were purchased from Paul at EM3ev.com: http://em3ev.com/store/

I would highly recommend Paul for your BBSxx conversion; he is easy to work with and stands behind what he sells. Yes, you may pay a little extra over other Chinese merchants but he is honest and reliable!

IMG_1974b.jpg

This old black Cannondale F5 was converted to be used along the Rocky Mountains that are only a mile or so away. As I get older it has become hard if not impossible to keep up with my sons that are competitive road and mountain cyclists. Even though I typically ride my Cannondale EVO 100–150 miles a week - training does not compensate for age.

IMG_1887b.jpg
IMG_1966b.jpg

PAS on the Bafang BBS02 is simply amazing! Here is a photo taken from my front yard of Francis Peak (see the two towers on top of the mountain) that stands 9,560’ (2,914 m). A couple days ago I rode from my home in Farmington, Utah an elevation of 4,380’ to Francis Peak in 1 hour and 20 minutes. The complete round trip took 1 hour 55 minutes a total climb of 5,180' - all in 25 miles. I have my controller programed for 9 PAS levels and I used levels 1 and 2 most of the way and occasionally 3 when needed. I have the 42T Italian chain ring installed to increase torque on steep climbs: http://www.alcedoitalia.it/shop/accessori-bbs/corona-42-denti-per-bafang-centrale-bbs01/

IMG_1980b.jpg
IMG_1956b.jpg

This red Cannondale M800 was converted for my wife. She can now keep up with me while I am on my EVO. After all – that is what the Bafang BBS02 is all about for us! It is the “great equalizer.” It allows the old and slower to ride with the young and fleet footed! As you can see I have removed the large off-road tires from this mountain bike and mounted a set of smooth road tires. She seems to like the stability of this frame.

IMG_1976d.jpg

Here are the battery packs that we put together for each bike.

Black Cannondale F5:

The Ibera triangle frame bag is medium in size and was purchased from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Bicycle-Triangle-Frame-Bag/dp/B00H1KUCQY

This battery pack consists of four Zippy compact 5800mAh 6s 25c Lipo packs. With two connected in series and then in parallel with XT90 connectors and 10 gauge wire. The XT90 connectors proved to be perfect for this application. This pack supplies a total of 11.6Ah: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21383__ZIPPY_Compact_5800mAh_6S_25C_Lipo_Pack.html

IMG_1986b.jpg

Red Cannondale M800:

The Topeak Handlebar Bag that I also use on my bike when I go longer distances: http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/Compact_Handlebar_Bag
And the battery pack is made from six Turnigy 5000mAh 4s 20c Lipo hardcase packs. With three connected in series and then the two sets in parallel. As you can see I decided to use the stock Hobby King 4mm bullet connectors that made it easy to connect in series (but can be extremely dangerous if care is not taken when connected). This pack supplies 10Ah and costs half as much to build than the other pack: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18631

IMG_1984b.jpg

This is the bulk charger that I have been using: http://www.onlinecomponents.com/mean-well-hlg320h48a.html?p=43123430
I can fully charge each pack from 3.7v to 4.15v per cell in about 45 minutes and I use this Hobby King Medic to balance and check each pack: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=41170 Occasionally I also balance charge each battery individually with this Hobby King RC charger: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7028__Turnigy_Accucel_6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_w_Accessories.html

IMG_1982c.jpg

I hope that this information will be helpful to you in your build...

Both awesome projects.
I'll be starting a build this weekend with the hopes of getting all the mechanicals installed perhaps excepting the battery.

I do however have one question for you. Is there significant resistance in turning the crank when the unit is not powered? I'm curious as to what to expect.
I tried turning the crank mounting shaft without arms or pedals attached. I found that attempting to turn this by grasping with my fingers was difficult. I was under the perhaps mistaken belief that this should turn easily. It felt as if I were pushing all the gears and motor with this action. In the opposite direction, I could hear the spalls clicking. I could have had my sense of direction confused as which way the cranks will rotate when pedalling.

Anyhow, it's just a curiosity at this point and need to install the motor before I worry too much about it.

Thanks for sharing your build.

0utrider said:
I do however have one question for you. Is there significant resistance in turning the crank when the unit is not powered? I'm curious as to what to expect.

Thanks for your comments.

You will notice a small amount of added resistance in PAS 0 or when it is off. With this resistance and the additional weight that is added your will want to commit this bike to be used primarily with the motor.

For this reason I purchased this inexpensive Cannondale F5 on Craig's List for a couple hundred dollars to be used for fun and fitness. This has become my favorite bike! It is a blast! I can now climb hills and mountains that I could only dream of before and I also get a great workout!
I can also ride the roads with my wife and have fun doing it!

Nice job(s) and thanks for sharing! I gotta Super V900 begging for one of those Bafangs.

You seem like someone who might find the BesTech power BMS/PCM boards of interest? Nice worry free charge/discharge and they can be configured to plug connect with minimal rework of battery JST-HX connectors. The D140 is a nice little BMS for 15A continuous, 30-40A peak which is plenty for these Bafangs.

Great work! I love seeing a road bike converted, I've long thought that's the way to go for good efficiency.
Do you believe the Bafang mid-drive motors will be durable and last for the long haul?
How do you like the Continental tires on the red Cannondale?

hie2kolob said:
You will notice a small amount of added resistance in PAS 0 or when it is off. With this resistance and the additional weight that is added your will want to commit this bike to be used primarily with the motor.

Perhaps this will be the case however I was just noticing this from an uninstalled BBS-02. I guess I expected the pedal crank shaft/bolts to turn more easily in their bearings.
Thanks for your response.

Ykick said:
You seem like someone who might find the BesTech power BMS/PCM boards of interest? Nice worry free charge/discharge and they can be configured to plug connect with minimal rework of battery JST-HX connectors. The D140 is a nice little BMS for 15A continuous, 30-40A peak which is plenty for these Bafangs.

I am not sure how this would be installed. Is there a link where I can find more info?

jkbrigman said:
Do you believe the Bafang mid-drive motors will be durable and last for the long haul?
How do you like the Continental tires on the red Cannondale?

Thanks for your response!

I hope these motors will last. Looks like their are those that have been using them for about 2000 miles so far. I believe this to be the wave of the future and there will be new products that will be better and more affordable.

My wife loves her new Continental tires. Much nicer on the pavement than Mt tires.

hie2kolob said:
I am not sure how this would be installed. Is there a link where I can find more info?

It's an emerging thing but here's a couple links to get started:

http://www.bestechpower.com/444v12spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/BMS-D140.html

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50207

I've used a couple D140's and merely insert them into the battery power lead then connect the sense wires from the bricks after minimal amount of extension/conversion to the BMS JST-HX mating plugs.

Minimum factory order is 2pcs which works perfect for your 2 bikes. I bought a pair of D140's for $85 shipped DHL. You can also use higher cell count boards by not connecting the upper sense wires and leave them open.

There's some wiring to sort out but you seem to have a pretty good handle on such things so I thought it might be worth tossing out there....

Nice bikes. Good to see another Utahn on the board. I think there are a few of us now. I've loved my BBS, but I'm selfish and hoping no one else around here gets into this. I live in Draper and I'm sure they'd get banned if they become popular. Sounds like you are still a good rider, while I'm not. Put that thing on PAS 9 and ride full throttle uphill! You can pedal at a nice leisurely pace while passing everyone. I had hoped to get out and do some rides around the state that are a bit longer, but have struck around doing quick rides in my backyard. Someday I'll get up to Francis peak or Mueller park, maybe even a trip to Moab. The BBS makes uphill enjoyable.

Like your name also :wink:

Thanks for the info and the links Ykirk! I will look into it.

dirkdiggler said:
Nice bikes. Good to see another Utahn on the board. I think there are a few of us now. I've loved my BBS, but I'm selfish and hoping no one else around here gets into this. I live in Draper and I'm sure they'd get banned if they become popular.

Great to hear from you, and nice to know that there is a fellow BBSer (hehe) on the other side of the valley! I agree, I also enjoy cruising around with no competition and don't like the idea of government regulation. When you get a chance you need to try Mueller Park and Farmington Canyon.

Jeff...

Fantastic conversions! Thanks for sharing so much helpful info! I'm looking forward to riding with you after I get my conversion done. :)

Major KUDOS to hie2kolob for helping me install my BBS02 kit last night. Took it on a 4.6 mile midnight ride and had this huge silly grin on my face the whole time, especially when I cranked up the PAS for a big hill.

0utrider said:
Both awesome projects.
I'll be starting a build this weekend with the hopes of getting all the mechanicals installed perhaps excepting the battery.

I tried turning the crank mounting shaft without arms or pedals attached. I found that attempting to turn this by grasping with my fingers was difficult. I was under the perhaps mistaken belief that this should turn easily. It felt as if I were pushing all the gears and motor with this action. In the opposite direction, I could hear the spalls clicking. I could have had my sense of direction confused as which way the cranks will rotate when pedalling.

Anyhow, it's just a curiosity at this point and need to install the motor before I worry too much about it.

Thanks for sharing your build.

One thing I have noticed with the 2 BBS-01 units that I have purchased is that there is a certain 'tightness' when new. It feels as though rubber 0-rings or similar seals are a adding resistance when manually turned. It disappeared (in my case anyway) after a few km. The cranks now spin freely when turned backwards and I experience no significant resistance pedalling with the motor off. So I suspect there is just a short 'running in' to be aware of.

Savvas

samsavvas said:
One thing I have noticed with the 2 BBS-01 units that I have purchased is that there is a certain 'tightness' when new. It feels as though rubber 0-rings or similar seals are a adding resistance when manually turned. It disappeared (in my case anyway) after a few km. The cranks now spin freely when turned backwards and I experience no significant resistance pedalling with the motor off. So I suspect there is just a short 'running in' to be aware of.
Savvas

My initial fears have been abated and I'm finding that easy pedaling to be the case. Very easy to pedal and yep, I've been riding the bike without battery power to test the parts I've been swapping on the bike.

0utrider said:
samsavvas said:
Savvas

My initial fears have been abated and I'm finding that easy pedaling to be the case. Very easy to pedal and yep, I've been riding the bike without battery power to test the parts I've been swapping on the bike.

The main difference for me when pedaling without assist is the weight. This nice little kit does add some substantial weight - on a light frame with the batteries it can double the weight. So naturally there will be some added resistance that was not there before the modification.

hie2kolob said:
The main difference for me when pedaling without assist is the weight. This nice little kit does add some substantial weight - on a light frame with the batteries it can double the weight. So naturally there will be some added resistance that was not there before the modification.

I tend to load up my bikes with panniers and misc. stuff anyway and end up carrying about 20lbs of tools, junk, snacks and water anyway.
Since I really never rode the Walgoose before slapping on the Bafang, I can't confess to know a difference - yet. Putting that 16s Headway pack on the back will certainly be felt I'm afraid. I weighed it at around 18lbs with my cruddy bathroom scale. Since it'll be up over the rear tire, yeah... I'm expecting to be very noticeable it when maneuvering slowly in tight corners on iffy terrain.

0utrider said:
hie2kolob said:

I tend to load up my bikes with panniers and misc. stuff anyway and end up carrying about 20lbs of tools, junk, snacks and water anyway.
Since I really never rode the Walgoose before slapping on the Bafang, I can't confess to know a difference - yet. Putting that 16s Headway pack on the back will certainly be felt I'm afraid. I weighed it at around 18lbs with my cruddy bathroom scale. Since it'll be up over the rear tire, yeah... I'm expecting to be very noticeable it when maneuvering slowly in tight corners on iffy terrain.

It sounds like you use your bike for work and to commute with. What line of work are you in?

Great looking bikes, hie2kolob! How do you like the HLG-320H charger?
Got over 1000 miles on my BBS02 and still going strong.

teslanv said:
....over 1000 miles on my BBS02 and still going strong.
Awesome! I hope to be able to say the same thing in 970 more miles. :)

hie2kolob said:
It sounds like you use your bike for work and to commute with. What line of work are you in?
I don't use the bike to commute as much as I would like and I wish my career was focused on bikes be they pedal or motor powered. It's hot here in South Texas and I can't show up drenched in sweat for flying my local govt. desk all day. ;)
That's where the great experiment comes in with the BBS02. I plan to commute much much more with this beasty on the days I'm not shuttling the kiddos to school in the morning.
My other bicycle is a mini-van Ha ha ha.

Back