backyard millyard....midmount....

tri-lobe

100 W
Hello members...

I too purchased one of the gng bb kits...knowing that the kit as is would not work on my homemade bike because of the pivot point between the frame and swing-arm......but I had all the bits and pieces to re-arrange....

could I mount this kit behind the bb....in a homemade swing-arm????...

a few beers....some measurements...a sketch or two....I think that this could be done...

so....full of ignorance and enthusiasm...I proceeded forth...

I hope that the photo's show what I mean.....

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 8,590
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 8,591
I've only just started this project....it will take a little time to complete...

Waiting on some 16mm cro-moly tube...should have that in the 2nd week of oct....

swing-arm will be made useing 16 and 19mm tube to keep the millyard theme...

Will possibly re-arrange top of jackshaft bracket to accomodate shock mount with swing-arm...

This will be done on the go...no fancy cad stuff....I'm old school...a few freehand sketches with measurements and do.....

Given your skills, I see no reason it can't be done. :) Might even give others some options they didnt' ahve before, too. :) If you haven't already, you shoudl put a link to this thread in the big GNG thread.

What AW said..great work, *subscribed

KiM

Hello members,
Managed to get 2 lower swing-arm pieces bent up to connect bb to bottom chain stays....tacked welded...to-day....
Will fully weld tomorrow...take to work on tuesday and sand blast

This will allow me to mount onto bike frame to work-out shock mount and see about modifying jackshaft mount...it is flimzy...

In my opinion the whole mounting brackets are flimzy as supplied....one gets what one pays for....I knew this when I bought the gng kit...I purchased this kit because it had all the major bits that one would need to do a midmount.....so-whot if I had to do some re-work on the mounting bracketry....

I have made my motor mounts out of 3mm plate...full circle for both l/h and r/h sides.....12 holes on pcd....6 for motor mounts ....6 for mounting to swing-arm frame shoud I need it....Imight only use 3 at the end of the day..

all going well I shall nut out the top chin stays and shock mount over the next week......I have enough 20mm tube for this part of the job....

once this is done i'll look at bracing...this is where I shall use 16mm tube....I'd like to keep this light but strong/rigid......

I hope that the photo shows what I mean...

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 8,243
Hello Members,

Time for an update....

I decided on a full circular cage to contain/mount everything....motor...shockmount...rear wheel stays...BB bracket....

Attachments

• IMG_0126 (1024x768) (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0126 (1024x768) (640x480).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 7,938
  • IMG_0127 (1024x768) (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0127 (1024x768) (640x480).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 7,938
Rear wheel stays are next....stringline shows the chain lines in low/high gear....

Attachments

• IMG_0124 (1024x768) (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0124 (1024x768) (640x480).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 7,927
tri-lobe,

Great work again. You set a great example for us DIYers. Can you give an guesstimate of the total added weight of the drive and mount?

wow that's awesome.. can't wait to see the finish product.. heck how'd you weld that circle like that ? pretty looking work.

Hello members...

Managed to sort out rear wheel stays to-day......this is just a lash-up.....I will finalize and tack stays latter this week.....

the aim being to do a trial fit up with a rear wheel...in tacked swing-arm...into frame......

I can then deal with shock mount.....and then jack-shaft mount.........IMG_0138 (640x480).jpgIMG_0136 (640x480).jpgIMG_0137 (640x480).jpg

John in CR said:
tri-lobe,

Great work again. You set a great example for us DIYers. Can you give an guesstimate of the total added weight of the drive and mount?
Hello john in CR...

I got no idea on weights now...it is a work in progress......ie the rear dropouts are getting lightening holes tomorrow....

But it will be an acceptable weight for 19/16mm cro-moly tube and a bit of ms......

I'll let you know when I know......

At the moment I just will tack things together...enough to hold it stable to play with...

The large belt sprocket has determined the postion of the top wheel stays.....glad I caught that one now...

All going well I'll sort out the top stays tomorrow....then mount into frame for a trial fit....doulble check chain path....

This is how I want to try a bigger hub ie with some real power someday! Looking real nice!

Whiplash said:
This is how I want to try a bigger hub ie with some real power someday! Looking real nice!
Howdy Whiplash......

I known what you're saying and I agree....I'm just a beginner and I needed a platform to play with. to start with and the gng kit was the go...all in one package...

It's good for building templates.....to start with....

pkirkll said:
A circle to mount everything to...what a great idea, always somewhere to weld to.... i like it.

What inspired you for the circle idea?
Hello pkirlil...

I hope that the last pic shows the advantages of the circle......tri-angles..square/rectangles....and circles....very good for trellis consruction.

The circle was the only one that would suit my requirerments...for my frame....

This hanging jig is worth it's weight in gold...even with just half the frame hanging.....

I can now do the swing arm change real easy....

Latter on I can raise the rear wheel and run under power....test gear running....no load of course...IMG_0157 (640x480).jpg

Back