Bewo, New Crank-drive Motor

d8veh

1 GW
This photo turned up on our UK forum today. This motor is now being fitted to ready-made electric bikes that cost from about £700. It's rated at 250w and anecdotally stronger than a Bosch mid-drive. Looking at the photo, it might be possible to fit it to any bike. It's made by a Chinese company called TCM. I searched, but couldn't find anything about it. Can anybody add to this?
tcm_zps122eb6e7.jpg

[Moderator edit to add product name to title, also add recent pic to show major internal arrangement, 26:1 single reduction]

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48449&start=300#p1151792

file.php

Product Specifications
Voltage : 36vDesign : BrushlessWattage : 201 - 300w
Parameters
1.Driver Unit
Rated Voltage: 36V
Rated Power: 180~250W
Max Speed: 90r/min
Peak Torque: 60N•m
Noise:≤50dB
Temperature: -25℃~50℃
Weight:≤4.5kg
Water Proof Grade: IP54
Standard: EN15194-2009、ROHS
Range: 40km(with only power and 36V/9Ah lithium battery)
Climbing Angle: 6º
2.Electric Control System
Driver: DC brushless controller
Assistance Meter: LCD/LED
Speed Sensor: One Signal
Assistance Sensor: Inside
Assistance Control Mode: Speed Control, Power Control, Proportional Control

Best I could find, seems like a very simple low power drive, will be interesting to see if there is room on the market for it.

krembuk said:
... can it install into any kind of bike?....

According to the first link you posted "...The mid-drive system can be installed onto almost all types of bicycles. The installation is very easy..."

I emailed them and enquired if this can be installed on a normal 68mm bottom bracket, the reply was

"For Middle Motor, it can not installed on a normal bottom bracket. Before in china has a company can do it, but find a lot of problem, so they give up it. So no one can do the Middle Motor installed on a normal BB so far.

Our Middle Motor can installed on the BB which Inner Diameter is 38mm, External Diameter is 47mm, Length is 61mm."

Bit stupid of them really, Bafang/8fun bbs01 is similar and fits a standard bike, they missed out on a potental market

I would bet with a little modification you could make this work but it would only make sense if it'll handle more power. If it could do say 800-1000 watts it might be worth the effort.. Maybe at higher voltage?

You can buy the complete e-bike on ebay here in Aus: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/22116209...:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_13371wt_1130

Here is a link to the sellers web page with more details http://www.justride.com.au/our-portfolio/powerider-central-crank-motor-system/

I have not seen that crank drive sold as a conversion kit. All the pics I've seen have been of complete e-bikes with the motor behind the seatpost, but not all bicycles would have enough room to do that and I don't know if it can be mounted with the motor out front.

I spoke with them when I was in China, where they told me that they were working on one that could be fitted to a standard BB. There's two pins on the inner flange that prevent it from turning with torque, so you have to file two slots in the BB. We discussed alternative ways of effecting the anti-rotation.

I had a bike with this motor on test for a couple of weeks. It wasn't particularly powerful, but could climb well slowly in bottom gear. I fitted another controller and increased the current to 24 amps at 36v. It must have been saturated because it made no difference in power output from when it was 18 amps. There was a small increase in power from the standard 14 amps to 18 amps.

d8veh said:
I spoke with them when I was in China, where they told me that they were working on one that could be fitted to a standard BB. There's two pins on the inner flange that prevent it from turning with torque, so you have to file two slots in the BB. We discussed alternative ways of effecting the anti-rotation.

I had a bike with this motor on test for a couple of weeks. It wasn't particularly powerful, but could climb well slowly in bottom gear. I fitted another controller and increased the current to 24 amps at 36v. It must have been saturated because it made no difference in power output from when it was 18 amps. There was a small increase in power from the standard 14 amps to 18 amps.

Anti rotation is now by a plate bolted to the final drive cover and through the frame where you would normally bolt a kickstand.
Also a toothed washer under the BB nut.

I've always thought that this kit looks an interesting one to mod. Slap a larger 80/100 motor on that and see how things hold up. It lacks the power for me at 250w and the Bafang looks to be better built. I am interested in feedback from anyone that has used this kit. I wonder if they sell it without motor and controller?

Not that good. It looks like all you need to do is bolt on your motor of choice and use the correct spur gear. Might have to get an adapter plate. Would be good to be able to use a 80-100 size RC motor. That is why I said it looks to be easy to mod. Not internal controller that you have to worry about. I'd like to hear about the quality of the kit and how the motor does. If it can handle some over-volting, it could be a nice product.

Thanks I am enjoying following your build. Have youe seen a hHeadway battery case for a inside frame installation?

Never mind, found them. Anyone use this group?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Headway-e-bike-battery-36v-with_771815420.html

This 36v 10ah isn't crazy heavy...
http://www.battery-energy.net/product_140497/headway-36v-10ah-lithium-battery-for-electric-bike.html

Whats the best place to order it from. I am in the Netherlands so maybe BEWO has a subdealer in Germany?
Anyone?

PS I have 2 off Bafang BBS-01/250W to compare to so I am interested to see the real differences.

Your post seems to imply Bafang hasn't done testing up to par with bewo. I think that is not fair. Maybe it's just our language differences, and I' not reading your remarks correctly. But honestly I like the construction and installation of the Bafang better.
However I am impressed by your build and your skill in configuring your bike. You are obviously a very talented fellow. There haven't been a lot of bewo kit installed or written about to determine just how reliable it, bewo, will be. My BBS01 350W is definitely every bit as good of a performance, and actually a bit faster. You have made me very curious about headway batteries. I think I may use them when I get to my tricycle build, where the weight may be an advantage. I'm looking forward to your expert technical analysis of electrical performance.

Ride safe,

Tom

CORRECTION my top speed is just about the same on one bike 32kPH, the other 35KPH. Not sure why same model of bike same wheel size

I do not wish to go any faster with the bike the motors are now on. I'm happy to not have the 48V version.

Kiriakos GR said:
Bafang VS BEWO comparison regarding top speed is not possible when BEWO using just a 250W motor (350W peak).

Bafang VS BEWO comparison regarding robustness is possible, Bafang using plastic gears and availability of spare parts is tremendously poor and parts are overpriced.

top speed performance is indeed dependent on the controller and voltage.

But efficiency comparison is more than possible. Try both on same speed on hill climbing and maybe constant 25mph on flat. See consumption for both. Find out the winner.

Back