Questions about the bafang 750w mid-drive

Noamsal

100 W
i'm looking for a replacement for my hub motor, i ride mostly offroad and all the jumps and bumps just makes the motor a weak point. but - with my 48v system i get 50+kmh, and lots of torque. i'm looking for a mid-drive that could do that.
but mostly, i want to move to 60v or maybe even 72v, does anybody has any experience on this motor with high voltage?
plus what is the highest peak\continues amps you can get to this motor? and whats the speed it'll get? (on 48v)
and did somebody tried to get the motor wires out and into an external controller?

The Bafang 750 watt mid-drive, with your current battery pack, should be able to do all that, and with better range, if you pedal.. There would be no point in going to higher voltage. The built-in controller won't allow much over 50 volts, and you get speed with gearing on a mid-drive. You don't need to do it with higher voltage. You wouldn't be able to keep up with the cadence of 60-72 volts running through it anyway.

Warren said:
The Bafang 750 watt mid-drive, with your current battery pack, should be able to do all that, and with better range, if you pedal.. There would be no point in going to higher voltage. The built-in controller won't allow much over 50 volts, and you get speed with gearing on a mid-drive. You don't need to do it with higher voltage. You wouldn't be able to keep up with the cadence of 60-72 volts running through it anyway.
but what about using an external controller? is it possible? i run my hub motor with 34a peak and 15-20a continues, i don't mind putting that to a mid drive motor if it would give good results
and if i use an external controller, would it then be good to use 60\72v?

With the right programming the bafang bbs02 @ 50v is at the limits of the bicycle drive train IMO. I run a 10 speed clutched setup I'm getting about 400- 500 km to a chain 70% with off road / technical hard use.
An external controller will probably push the unit and regular bike components beyond their limits.
Sounds like fun though :D

As for speed @ 44v I get around 37 -43 kph unassisted 50 + if I pedal with a 36t - 11t. At 48v with a 48t -11 it should go pretty fast.

I use the xt shifter that has multi shift down and up this helps with acceleration on the way down. Its hard to catch up to the gears without it.

If your in the right gear up to 30 kph, It has a lot of torque with a 42t up front 11 - 36t in the back.
It will go pretty fast but don't expect a mini motocross, feels more like a bike it has way better handling over hubbies.

I'm happy with mine and i came from 24s lipo now its 12s 44v lipo. I don't have the high power and acceleration I used to but I no longer have to horse around a tank so I don't miss it at all. The added handling far outweighs the loss of power imo, for off road use.

Losing the weight in the back is everything If you mostly ride off road. Jumps and bumps are way more fun when you don't feel like your gonna crush your back wheel at all times. I am always trying to leave the ground now.

I think the bbs02 @ 50v will suit your needs good.

If you want a bike that screams off the line and does motocross size jumps go with something bigger like the Lightning rods or gng kits.
A lot more noise and tweaking is required with these setups though.

shifter
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/sg/index/products/mountain/Deore_XT_M780/product.-code-SL-M780.-type-..html

BBS02 CHainring
http://www.alcedoitalia.it/shop/accessori-bbs/corona-42-denti-per-bafang-centrale-bbs01/

Mushy

I don't think the motor is capable of handling much more power without problems. Sure you could go external controller and more volts but I think all you would do is end up frying the motor. Small motors (like the Bafang mid drive) are OK at their power levels but they will get hot even when you are in the right gear if you push them hard. I don't think they are hot rod material.
That said I have three of them and have sold several and they are great units if used properly. It will be interesting to see if people can get 5 to 10 thousand miles out of them with no problems.

mushymelon said:
With the right programming the bafang bbs02 @ 50v is at the limits of the bicycle drive train IMO. I run a 10 speed clutched setup I'm getting about 400- 500 km to a chain 70% with off road / technical hard use.
An external controller will probably push the unit and regular bike components beyond their limits.
Sounds like fun though :D

As for speed @ 44v I get around 37 -43 kph unassisted 50 + if I pedal with a 36t - 11t. At 48v with a 48t -11 it should go pretty fast.

I use the xt shifter that has multi shift down and up this helps with acceleration on the way down. Its hard to catch up to the gears without it.

If your in the right gear up to 30 kph, It has a lot of torque with a 42t up front 11 - 36t in the back.
It will go pretty fast but don't expect a mini motocross, feels more like a bike it has way better handling over hubbies.

I'm happy with mine and i came from 24s lipo now its 12s 44v lipo. I don't have the high power and acceleration I used to but I no longer have to horse around a tank so I don't miss it at all. The added handling far outweighs the loss of power imo, for off road use.

Losing the weight in the back is everything If you mostly ride off road. Jumps and bumps are way more fun when you don't feel like your gonna crush your back wheel at all times. I am always trying to leave the ground now.

I think the bbs02 @ 50v will suit your needs good.

If you want a bike that screams off the line and does motocross size jumps go with something bigger like the Lightning rods or gng kits.
A lot more noise and tweaking is required with these setups though.

shifter
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/sg/index/products/mountain/Deore_XT_M780/product.-code-SL-M780.-type-..html

BBS02 CHainring
http://www.alcedoitalia.it/shop/accessori-bbs/corona-42-denti-per-bafang-centrale-bbs01/

Mushy

So basiclly the bafang is not for me, the gng actually sounds (and looks) great, i might try to get one of those 60v kits.
also i thought about moving my hubmotor to the middle, and use it as mid drive, has somebody tried this? any tips?

How many people are reliably running the Lightning Rod's kit?? I have followed the progress and it seems like there are a lot of problems with numerous things. At least the Bafang is quiet, fairly reliable, and will be more powerful and capable than your 500 watt hub motor. Plus the bafang mid drive is a much cleaner setup without external belts, and chains.
For more power in a mid drive look at AFT or ecospeed. They seem to be more refined and reliable although at a price.
Don't expect champagne on a beer budget!

maxwell92036 said:
How many people are reliably running the Lightning Rod's kit?? I have followed the progress and it seems like there are a lot of problems with numerous things. At least the Bafang is quiet, fairly reliable, and will be more powerful and capable than your 500 watt hub motor. Plus the bafang mid drive is a much cleaner setup without external belts, and chains.
For more power in a mid drive look at AFT or ecospeed. They seem to be more refined and reliable although at a price.
Don't expect champagne on a beer budget!
i actually like the looks of chains and stuff :p
i've seen gng 60v 650w brushless mid-drive motor, looks really stealthy and pretty, and really good price, also i'm flying to China on friday, maybe i'll try to get me one back home with me. it seems great for me, probably won't use its full potential on 48v, but it will be much more reliable and i could take the voltage up to 60v\72v, which is the plan for the end of my batteries.

Back