Battery for bafang?

bogski

10 µW
Hi guys what battery would you use for those mid drive kits you see on alibaba or ebay? If you're in Europe, what's the cheapest battery you can buy? Wasn't someone using their laptop battery as a cheapy way of charging the kit, or was I dreaming? Where can you find a 36v battery or 48v battery in Europe for these kits? Buying from China costs 400 euros plus vat tax plus paperwork or antidumping risk.

10s (2x 5s) in RC LiPo is probably the easiest configuration as it hits the nominal volt sweet spot (37v). So a 36v BBS system would go well with 10s.

48v in RC LiPo can be a puzzle as it requires 13s.

You're new here with a couple of posts :wink: . Do you have any experience with electrics :?: It can be a bit of a learning curve at first. Get familiar with the wiki section here as it goes into detail :idea:

KINNINVIEKID said:
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=68822

Around £180 for a pair delivered in Europe.

You may have to wait a while for them to come back into stock though.

I have a pair on my BBS02 and they are good for 50 miles range.

You need to read up about caring for LiPos before you decide if you can cope with them though.

Thanks a lot!

Pity that shop seems to be not be stocked, and the commenters are complaining they've been waiting since september while the shop just keeps saying 30 days but no end in sight. Do you know of elsewhere that sells them in the EU?

As for ''caring for LiPos'', do you mean the wiki? I'm reading it now.

melodious said:
10s (2x 5s) in RC LiPo is probably the easiest configuration as it hits the nominal volt sweet spot (37v). So a 36v BBS system would go well with 10s.

48v in RC LiPo can be a puzzle as it requires 13s.

You're new here with a couple of posts :wink: . Do you have any experience with electrics :?: It can be a bit of a learning curve at first. Get familiar with the wiki section here as it goes into detail :idea:

Thanks a lot too!

No experience at all. Been reading about ebikes and have somewhat reached the conclusion that the Bafang is the best. I'm reading the wiki right now, thanks.

What do you mean by 13s and puzzle?

You can readily find a charger that can accommodate 10s.

Not so much with anything over 12s. Which means you'd have to break your entire battery pack every time you charge. A chore if you have to disconnect & reconnect on a regular basis.

If you browse Hobbyking's site it may start to sink in. A 10s charger can bulk charge & balance charge your battery with minimal disconnecting.

If I were you and wanted to get riding ASAP, I'd purchase a pre-made battery. Get the bottle mount style that goes in the middle of the frame. Like this one.

bogski said:
KINNINVIEKID said:
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=68822

Around £180 for a pair delivered in Europe.

You may have to wait a while for them to come back into stock though.

I have a pair on my BBS02 and they are good for 50 miles range.

You need to read up about caring for LiPos before you decide if you can cope with them though.

Thanks a lot!

Pity that shop seems to be not be stocked, and the commenters are complaining they've been waiting since september while the shop just keeps saying 30 days but no end in sight. Do you know of elsewhere that sells them in the EU?

As for ''caring for LiPos'', do you mean the wiki? I'm reading it now.
I am the main "commenter" on there. They are now taking backorders so they should be coming in within the next few weeks and NO you cant get them anywhere else.
The wiki is what you need to read before going down this route along with lots of googling of "LiPo"

As for SLA,thats a dead duck these days due to its weight and lack of longevity and range.

I use 12s which is 44.4V nominal (49.2 volts hot off the charger) and this is all you need for a BBS02. Going 13s will get you another 2mph for the first 3 miles or so so not worth the hassle of mixing cells and the nightmare of trying to charge them.

KINNINVIEKID said:
bogski said:
KINNINVIEKID said:
I am the main "commenter" on there. They are now taking backorders so they should be coming in within the next few weeks and NO you cant get them anywhere else.
The wiki is what you need to read before going down this route along with lots of googling of "LiPo"

As for SLA,thats a dead duck these days due to its weight and lack of longevity and range.

I use 12s which is 44.4V nominal (49.2 volts hot off the charger) and this is all you need for a BBS02. Going 13s will get you another 2mph for the first 3 miles or so so not worth the hassle of mixing cells and the nightmare of trying to charge them.

Thanks again, I see now Lipos have to be charged with care, with correct voltage and so they don't burst into flames.

How do the Lipos fare in comparison to the 48V 20aH LiNMC battery?
How many recharges do the Lipos withstand, and how long do they survive on the shelf (if one recharges them every 90 days or so)?

I thought I'd ask, do you know if the 750W bafang can have its controller backdated to being a 500W, as I've read the 500W can be updated to 750W and over here in Spain we seem to have a legal 500W limit without requiring a license.

The 20Ah battery is quita a bit heavier than LiPo but if you dont think you can handle LiPo safely then its a better bet for you.

If you charge LiPo to 4.1V and discharge no lower than 3.5v you could get 1000 cycles or more from your batteries.
When you are not using them discharge to 3.8V(storage charge),almost all chargers have a setting for this.
There are folks here with 5 year old LiPos still working.

The 48 volt 750 and 500 Bafangs are the same motor.You can programme the 750 down to 18A and then its a 500.
There is a thread on here with instructions.

Back