Juiced rider hitch mount bike rack

Hivetool

100 µW
I have asked and looked everywhere and no one can answer thus question. Not even Juiced Rider. What hitch mount bike rack is available for a Juiced Rider? I know a small motorcycle rack. Would work but that would be a PIA. Thanks for your ideas!

Hivetool

I use one similar to this :

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2-bicycle-bike-rack-hitch-mount-carrier-car/CB-696B

2inch hitch and it is raised so it will clear driveways. It works for mountain bikes and carbon road frames (shouldnt put weight on top tube of carbon frames... always support by wheels).

Thanks but, there is no central bar on a Juiced a Rider for the U clamps to come down on to. I think it needs to be a wheel support design. But it has fenders that get in the way of that too.

Juiced rider.jpg

Pictures help.

I have the swagman rack, which can be set to have the bar that clamps down vertical, or it can be left loose, able to swivel to any angle. With a 26" wheel, it works fine to just tilt the bar, and clamp down on the top of the fork. With yours, too much angle for that to work really well. It might also be, that your rack would need to have some metal welded on to it, so that your long bike will fit. I actually made my last two long bikes just short enough to fit my rack as is. I can carry only one long bike, the other must be normal.

On my swagman hitch rack, I'd simply tilt the clamp, so it can grab down on the bikes rack, right behind the seat.

You can also get creative with bungees. On long trips I bungee the wheels into the holders anyway. Then it's just a matter of another bungee to something to hold the bike upright.

I lost one of my clamp downs years ago, so when I carry two bikes I always have the second bike connected to the one that is clamped down in two places. So one option is carry a bike with a regular top bar, then bungee the juiced bike to that one.

Is there anyone out there who actually owns and rides a Juiced Rider who has a car rack out there? The racks that are being suggested will not work on a JR. Thanks. This should not be this difficult to find out......maybe it can't be done!

Thanks,

Mason

You need a top tube frame adapter so you can use a normal rack. like this one:
88302-md.jpg

http://www.quadratec.com/products/9...oglemerchant&gclid=CJPxhZDWmcUCFQ4yaQodvm0A5Q

A tire only type rack likely wouldn't be sold for a bunch of liability reasons. You might be able to build your own, but it would still need to run straps the way a MC carrier rack would, to keep the bike from being catapulted out on a hard bump, swerve, or accident,

Do you think it could handle 80 pounds bouncing up and down? A lot of weight to suspend. i have thought of this but wondered about humpping 80 pounds to chin height. I'm Ancient........

The rack should be rated for the weight of the bike. The Swagman is rated for 35 pounds per bike, so it might work but fail in an accident. It is not designed for either an ebike nor a low top bar bike.

I now use a single motorcycle rack, which works nicely, and four straps to stabilize the ebike. Two to the headset area and two to under the seat.

This rack is rated for Yuba Mundo....weight shouldn't be an issue!

Out of stock on the Yuba site, somebody might know who it's made by?

Attachments

• hollywood-racks-sport-rider-for-electric-bikes.jpg
    hollywood-racks-sport-rider-for-electric-bikes.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 3,875
  • hollywood-racks-sport-rider-for-electric-bikes_a.jpg
    hollywood-racks-sport-rider-for-electric-bikes_a.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 3,875
Nothing wrong with the motorcycle rack approach. Overkill is usually a good thing. It might be able to function as a bumper, resulting in less damage to your bike.

Swagman will fail in an accident? Which bike type rack won't fail, if you get smacked from behind? I totally agree there are better bike racks. I can't report on how good they are, because my swagman just keeps on going.

As for just breaking on it's own, I can only report that my swagman has carried two ebikes at a time for years. I got it in 2008. It's really rusty and crusty now, but no sign of it failing. The wheel loops have bent down, but the only failure so far, was having a J hook shake off while driving without a bike on the rack, and some of the quick pins have been replaced with bolts. I most often use the rack to carry my dirt bike to the trail head. The last mile of the road to the parking spot is nasty, 4x4 type road with no grading ever. So it bounces hard in the whoops that last mile every trip.

Steel, cheap, strong, repairable. My early version swagman did have one big flaw, It carried the bikes too low. This resulted in the exhaust melting tires on trips longer than 50 miles. I welded an extension on the hitch mount part of it, which raised it 2" permanently curing the problem. Current models carry it higher.

Very easy to load a bike, just place one wheel at a time in the wheel holders. So my 90 pound bike, I only lift 45 pounds at a time.

The Swagman looks like a great rack but, once again, the Juiced a Rider is a step through style with no horizontal bar for the center hooks to clamp down on. Sounds like I should look into a light weight dirt bike rack and straps.

I think I just said, twice, there are many other ways to secure the bike, without using the J hook devices at all.

And I think I said twice, you can clamp the bike down with the J hook grabbing the rear rack just behind the seat.

Lots of better quality racks than the swagman. I'm just saying the cheap swag works for me.

But nothing wrong with the dirt bike rack either, if you have a larger vehicle and 2" hitch. My little Subaru has only the small hitch, so a bike type rack is the best choice for me.

I used a Swagman for awhile before I noticed that I was about 2x over its ratings. It held up well. If somehow it dropped an eBike on the freeway, and someone died in the ensuing fiasco, it could become a problem. So I changed to the Motorcycle rack. It is rated for 500 pounds and only set up for one bike.

The strap system holds the bike well, if you find proper places to grab on to, which the seat and top of the forks are.

The Swagman is very quick and light but not as solid of course.

Mundo said:
This rack is rated for Yuba Mundo....weight shouldn't be an issue!

Out of stock on the Yuba site, somebody might know who it's made by?

The images say it at the bottom:

Hollywood Sport Rider for Electric Bikes. It's the 1450 E model. It's been much cheaper before on Amazon and is currently $404 delivered.

At this range, I would personally put my money in a Made in USA product called 1UPUSA. They have foldable racks that are super sturdy, modular and well thought out. I will be getting one soon.

I called 1upUSA and they said their rack would not work on a Juiced Rider due to the rack on the back over the battery. Considering the $$ of other racks they "might" work, I think the dirt bike rack would be the best. $130 delivered off Ebay. I still want to check out the Thule T2. It may work but, once again, about $375 out the door. A bit pricy compared to the dirt bike rack. Not as convenient due to all the tie downs required but, may be the best way to go. I am still open to hearing about any other options anyone has to offer. Thanks for all the help with this issue.

Hb

Well yeah, I assumed you'd remove the battery before putting it on the rack. Then you could clamp down to the rear rack. I would have thought the angle would be too much to clamp to the wheel as in the picture above. Looks like it works fine, though it could eventually ding the fender. Remove the fender would work for that. Replace with a different, quick release fender.

Best solution obviously still the motorcycle rack, love the added brace to tie the bike to. This could be done also, to any kind of steel bike rack. I just don't have the 2" hitch for a motorcycle rack.

As for the swagman failing and killing somebody, I don't worry too much about things that are that unlikely to happen. I would really hesitate to overload an aluminum alloy rack, but the swag is just going to bend, rather than break. An alloy rack would worry me a lot more!

I do worry about it happening to me, last month a semi truck tire smashed my windshield. That was a thrill!

The battery is removable, but if only one bike is on this rack, the pack does not need to be removed.

One thing I didn't notice at first lianjuin, your rack has a secure fastener at the wheel. So it won't need to push down so hard on the J hook.

Very easy to remove. Just use the included 5mm Hex Key. The 4 screws are stainless, thread locked M6x16mm.

It appears the Juiced a Riders wheel is just about hanging off the end of the rack. Why did you bother to remove the batteries? Would the batteries make them too top heavy to be rack stable?

Back